Ball State- 1/11/22

The 7-7 Muncie Redbirds fresh off of a 78-72 win over Eastern Michigan come to the JAR Tuesday to face the Zips.

6-1 sophomore guard Luke Brumbalough leads the Cards at 12.4 ppg.  6-2 sophomore guard Tyler Cochran is second in scoring at 11.4 ppg while pulling down 5.6 rpg.  6-9 freshman center Payton Sparks scores 10.5 ppg while leading the team in rebounding at 6.2 rpg.  They were predicted to finish 8th in the MAC in the MAC preseason poll. 

Three Man Weave summarized Ball State as follows: “There is a noticeable lack of talent on the roster and an absence of a true creator and/or go-to scorer. Whitford might have a solid floor as a head coach, but this could conceivably be his worst team since 2014-15, the last time he finished outside the KenPom top 200.”

Edited by clarkwgriswold

I have doubts this game gets played. I'm not sure what the MAC guidelines are for a player returning after a positive test, but we only had Trimble out against Ohio so that means we had a lot of positive tests some point after. Our last outbreak we went 16 days without a game. Seems odd we can have an outbreak and get back in under 7 days for the next game.

3 hours ago, kreed5120 said:

I have doubts this game gets played. I'm not sure what the MAC guidelines are for a player returning after a positive test, but we only had Trimble out against Ohio so that means we had a lot of positive tests some point after. Our last outbreak we went 16 days without a game. Seems odd we can have an outbreak and get back in under 7 days for the next game.

I agree with this assessment.  I would think they would want to know like today so they can maybe throw Ball State into a game with NIU if Western Michigan also has a covid problem. 

Would add that the 16 days may be deceiving since that carried over the holidays.  But still...

Edited by NWAkron

22 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Trimble is available tonight.

Trimble in and Ali out? Our friends in Muncie think Whitford and the Cards will be buried tonight but at this Barberton diner they aren't so sure.  

Seriously, though,  it's tough for any MAC team to win twice in a row on the road.  They also have a good win over BG. 

Edited by NWAkron

Wouldn't shock me if someone is out. Hopefully they can be at full strength by the end of the week. If they can beat Buffalo without Trimble, by double digits even, they should be able to take out Balls Tate without another key contributor. I like the make up of this team, it's far less dependent on getting scoring from one guy like last year.

I don't know if I saw anything come out about the MAC updating its protocols to 5 days of isolation + negative tests for positives. I'm hoping they did, since whatever cases popped up last week did on Thursday. That would make today or tomorrow the day that whoever that is would be back available. Hope everyone's okay. Go Zips!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LoyalZIP said:

Wouldn't shock me if someone is out. Hopefully they can be at full strength by the end of the week. If they can beat Buffalo without Trimble, by double digits even, they should be able to take out Balls Tate without another key contributor. I like the make up of this team, it's far less dependent on getting scoring from one guy like last year.

I don't know if I saw anything come out about the MAC updating its protocols to 5 days of isolation + negative tests for positives. I'm hoping they did, since whatever cases popped up last week did on Thursday. That would make today or tomorrow the day that whoever that is would be back available. Hope everyone's okay. Go Zips!

Agreed LoyalZip, but the other side of that equation is that I am not sure they've established a "go to" guy yet.

• Like 1