What Will You Say In Four Years?

GP1

If from four years from now the Zips have a winning record and the program is moving in the right direction, who will be "that guy"? He'll be the guy fans talk about for years as the guy who saved the program. I don't know that guy is on the field right now or even on the team, but the program badly needs him to show up these last few games. 

For example, John Wolford is the back up QB for the LA Rams. In 2014 he started as a true freshman for Dave Clawson in his first year at Wake Forest. They went 3-9 and he got his butt kicked weekly. Year two, exact same results but there was something different that gave hope. Year three, 7-6 with a bowl win. Year four 8-5 with a big bowl win against Texas A&M. He saved the program and made Dave Clawson's career. 

Something has to change. Too often fans look for coaches to be the change agents, but it's really up to one young player who has just had enough and lays it all on the line every week in a way that gets others to follow. Or, has the transfer portal made this player too difficult to find?

Is this guy on the team and who is he? 

15 minutes ago, GP1 said:

If from four years from now the Zips have a winning record and the program is moving in the right direction, who will be "that guy"? He'll be the guy fans talk about for years as the guy who saved the program. I don't know that guy is on the field right now or even on the team, but the program badly needs him to show up these last few games. 

For example, John Wolford is the back up QB for the LA Rams. In 2014 he started as a true freshman for Dave Clawson in his first year at Wake Forest. They went 3-9 and he got his butt kicked weekly. Year two, exact same results but there was something different that gave hope. Year three, 7-6 with a bowl win. Year four 8-5 with a big bowl win against Texas A&M. He saved the program and made Dave Clawson's career. 

Something has to change. Too often fans look for coaches to be the change agents, but it's really up to one young player who has just had enough and lays it all on the line every week in a way that gets others to follow. Or, has the transfer portal made this player too difficult to find?

Good question. I’d bet it’s Steele Wasel if we can keep him committed. The answer is going to a QB or RB IMO, and I don’t see a RB on the roster to make me think “that’s the guy”. Of course it could always be a transfer portal player at those positions not on the roster as well.

30 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Good question. I’d bet it’s Steele Wasel if we can keep him committed. The answer is going to a QB or RB IMO, and I don’t see a RB on the roster to make me think “that’s the guy”. Of course it could always be a transfer portal player at those positions not on the roster as well.

Thanks for the post.

Brett Biggs was the closest we came to that guy as a RB. However, he came via JC so that four year commitment wasn't there. Also, there was not long term success after his graduation. 

I love the transfer portal, but it's hard to see a guy who comes second hand as that guy. 

The Zips can't wait forever for "that guy" in the Joe M. era. I'd tell any freshman who wants to step up that the future is there for the taking, so take it. Win a couple of games the rest of the season. 3-9 is a heck of a lot better than 1-11. There are winnable games so win them. 

Love the topic @GP1 and great answer @LZIp 

If I had to vote for a future player, I would also say Wasel. He seems to be pretty highly touted and committed pretty early in this staff’s tenure. 

I’d like to see Dijon Jennings get a few series’ at QB as the season winds down here. I don’t necessarily expect him to be the QB of the future, but it would be nice to see how he looks as a true freshman.

I would also agree on Biggs, he was as solid an RB as we’ve ever had. For the Bowden years of getting close to over the hump, it’s Jatavis Brown. An underdog from the start, undersized, softspoken leader but a badass in every sense of the word. He won Akron a few games single-handedly, his game @ Miami in 2015 may be the best single-game defensive performance by a Zip of all time. 

On this roster, I like what I see from Adams. He’s very explosive, and he gets open a lot. Hopefully he’s gotten over the dropsies and can get more shots in the open field this year. We’ve got him a couple more years too. 

3-9 would be a huge moral victory for this staff, as much as I hate to say that. 2-2 in this final stretch after all the crap we’ve been through for 4 years, that would be tremendous. I truly think they will win another game, I just couldn’t tell you which one. They’re just so close, yet so far. 

5 hours ago, GP1 said:

Out of the guys on the roster now:

WR - Adams

OL - Landers

LB - McCoy

I’m looking forward to seeing how a host of others on the roster continue to develop. If we had a healthy pass rush and more productive depth at cornerback, we’d likely be at least 3-1 in MAC play. If the defense was consistent, Irons probably wouldn’t have been in forced situations to lead a long drive for the win.

The program isn’t far off considering we’ve been competitive in conference play with what will be Moorhead’s least talented roster.

Edited by catdaddyp

12 hours ago, LoyalZIP said:

Love the topic @GP1 and great answer @LZIp 

On this roster, I like what I see from Adams. He’s very explosive, and he gets open a lot. Hopefully he’s gotten over the dropsies and can get more shots in the open field this year. We’ve got him a couple more years too. 

You beat me to it. On the current roster I'm also going with Adams. Early in the season he had (two?) crucial drops, but he's only a sophomore... and that happens.  He's fast, long, and explosive and seems to be open... a lot.

On the future roster I'm also going with Wassel.  Have to go with the QB.

I still wish we had gotten a verbal from Hoban RB Lamar Sperling. He's everything you want in a back and, as I mentioned in the KSUcks game thread, I'd take him right now over either Wiley or Pryce.  Wiley is too tall & lean for the position, and Pryce, while solid, doesn't have the speed to make you fear him breaking a long run once he hits the 2nd level.  So we still need that all-around, every down RB Currently there's no Brett Biggs or Brandon Payne on the roster or on next year's verbal commits list... yet 🤞🙏

2 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Speak of the devil...

It's year 1 and I feel Joe is creating a fun offense that 18-23 year old skill players will want to play in. Irons is #12 in the nation in passing yards. We have 3 receivers in the top 100 in receiving yards (#20 Shocky, #86 George, and #87 Adams).

Obviously we're not going to go out and land 4* and 5* freshmen, but I feel very much we can become a preferred destination for skilled players who have talent, but got buried on the depth chart at P5 schools and just want an opportunity to showcase their talent.

• Like 4