2022-2023 Zips Women's Basketball

LoyalZIP

On 4/26/2023 at 4:12 PM, ewbrooman1 said:

Not sure about that, but I appreciate your optimism. We return one player who has been a significant contributor at the DI level and no one coming in has played many, if any, minutes in DI. It's going to be a really young team with lots of opportunity to grow.

I'm going to miss Layne Ferrell... well, the team, IMHO, is going to miss Layne. I really wish she would have stuck around for her senior year. 

11 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Cluse and Wolf in portal, too. There go their top 3 players. 😬

Don't know if we have any scholarships left, but I'd like to see any of those three here purely for the DI playing experience we are lacking.

Edited by blueandgold

24 minutes ago, blueandgold said:

Don't know if we have any scholarships left, but I'd like to see any of those three here purely for the DI playing experience we are lacking.

I'd love to have any of them, especially Scott, but I'm guessing these ladies want to go someplace they can be part of a winning program right away after losing for 3-4 years at Miami.

14 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I'm going to miss Layne Ferrell... well, the team, IMHO, is going to miss Layne. I really wish she would have stuck around for her senior year. 

I see Layne is going to Wright State. Good luck to her. I always wished she was a bit more aggressive and consistent with us. 

• 2 weeks later...

Former Zips assistant under Kest. Some fans were hoping for Colleen Day Henderson. Do you think they'll have a press conference introducing their new coach before the Zips do? 🤔

https://miamiredhawks.com/news/2023/5/8/womens-basketball-box-named-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

Edited by ewbrooman1

20 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

Do you think they'll have a press conference introducing their new coach before the Zips do?

You and the press conference again 😂

It's not that big of a deal in my opinion, especially in today's world. Does every head coaching change get a press conference? I don't recall women's soccer, baseball, softball, and/or T & F getting one. 

I'd be more interested in a meet & greet than a press conference because how much of the media would really be at the press conference? Community engagement would be more effective with a meet & greet than a press conference in my opinion. 

Edited by mes102
Additional thoughts

5 hours ago, mes102 said:

You and the press conference again 😂

It's not that big of a deal in my opinion, especially in today's world. Does every head coaching change get a press conference? I don't recall women's soccer, baseball, softball, and/or T & F getting one. 

I'd be more interested in a meet & greet than a press conference because how much of the media would really be at the press conference? Community engagement would be more effective with a meet & greet than a press conference in my opinion. 

I guess it's my 20+ years in marketing/advertising/PR talking to me. A press conference for a new women's basketball coach at our level should be a given. It's an opportunity to promote the program to the public/media. Any chance to do that is a plus. I'm betting it would be hard to find another DI school that hasn't had one after a change. All the new MAC WBB coaches have had one. Box and Miami just had theirs earlier today.

I'm also fine with a meet and greet that would sum up all the changes and introduce the new staff and players. Do something, though the time may have passed now to generate any big interest on campus with school out. 

Edited by ewbrooman1

5 hours ago, ewbrooman1 said:

I guess it's my 20+ years in marketing/advertising/PR talking to me. A press conference for a new women's basketball coach at our level should be a given. It's an opportunity to promote the program to the public/media. Any chance to do that is a plus. I'm betting it would be hard to find another DI school that hasn't had one after a change. All the new MAC WBB coaches have had one. Box and Miami just had theirs earlier today.

I'm also fine with a meet and greet that would sum up all the changes and introduce the new staff and players. Do something, though the time may have passed now to generate any big interest on campus with school out. 

To me, generating interest from a press conference in March/April for a season that doesn't start until October/November isn't the most ideal, but that's just me. Even a meet & greet doesn't make sense this early. You have seniors that won't be around, transfers/freshmen may not even be on campus yet, some students that you're targeting to go to games wouldn't even be there in the Fall while missing out on the incoming freshmen class of students. 

Having a meet & greet in the Fall in September/October makes a lot of sense to me to generate more interest. But again, I don't have "20+ years in marketing/advertising/PR talking" so I probably have no idea what I'm talking about here 🤷‍♂️

Edited by mes102

In the release: 

2023-24 Akron Women's Basketball Signing Class (as of May 10, 2023)
Olivia Brown, G, 6-1, Fishers, Ind. (Hamilton Southeastern)

Teniesha Clarke, G, 5-9, Burlington, Ontario (AN Meyer Secondary | Niagara Prep)

Morgan Haney, G, 5-8, Piqua, Ohio (Miami East | Albany)

Leila Jones, G/F, 5-10, Westerville, Ohio (Westerville South)

Dacia Lewandowski, G, 5-11, Pittsburgh, Pa. (North Catholic)

Alexus Mobley, G, 5-7, Indianapolis, Ind. (Franklin Central | Danville CC)

Lanae Riley, 6-2, F, Akron, Ohio (Archbishop Hoban/Middle Tennessee State)

Liisa Taponen, 6-5, C, Tampere, Finland (Mäkelänrinteen Upper Secondary School/Illinois)

Kaia Woods, 5-3, G, Tiffin, Ohio (Royal Crown Academy/Washington State)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...

I wish I could go to this on the 21st, but I have a parent getting two surgeries within the next few weeks (first one being June 15th), and I'm not sure I'm going to be able to get away long enough to take the trip there and back (the drive to Akron and back will be as long as this event). Should be a fun night for those that have the chance to go with all the newcomers into the program (staff and student-athletes). 

Edited by mes102
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...