Postgame thoughts

Valpo Zip

Just came back from the game. Surprised that SGM didn't start a postgame thread, i'll take the torch. ;) 1 - The 3 pieces of $hit wearing stripes wouldn't let us win the game. (details to be discussed later in the end of this post).2 - Dials was money. WOW !3 - Romeo and J-wood were very good and they should have taken the ball inside more often...we settled for the outside shot a lot.4 - Quade is unfortunately back in the last 2 years form. Lost on the court and doesn't know what he's doing. a little help from him could have won us the game.5 - Cedrick had the shot totally off. One good shot could have been the difference.6 - I am really concerned with KD's recruiting abilities. Our rotation currently consists of all senior/junior (besides Linhart). The Fr/So are unable to contribute anything. As far as the sophomores:a - Everytime Conyers is given a couple of minutes, he keeps throwing those 15 footers that never go in. b - I am the biggest fan of Linhart. I even got into arguments with people on this board defending him. But he is inconsistent and was very bad today.c - let's not talk about Rybak. As far as the Freshmen, 2 of them are redshirting and the third is also unable to contribute.The rowdies were really rowdy, we silenced the 8000 Toledo fans for 38 minutes. It was so sad that at the end of the game with few seconds left, their student section were pointing at us and chanting we can't hear you. That's right, 8000 people were hearing us for 38 minutes. Adding that they were sitting down for 38 minutes. Some thing the rowdies never do.Back to the officiating thing... Fear the Roo, i know you're going to jump on my case now with you being the unbiased voice of wisdom etc... but no ! seriously, i was there and i know what i am talking about.I would understand if a ref wants to call tic-tac fouls but at least call them on both sides. Look at the stats, we beat them in the FG%, (50% to 48.8%). We beat them in the FT% (90% to 70.4%). We beat them on the boards (28 to 25). We beat them in the steals (8-5) in the 3pt% (37.5 to 29.4). The only thing they beat us in was turnovers (9-13). The difference in the game was the fckin foul calls and their freakin 27 FT. It seemed like every time the difference grew beyond 5 points, the rockets will go to the FT line in every possession. Let alone the 2 freakin offensive fouls that don't make any sense. And when our post players get fouled and still score, there is a thing called (basket +1 shot) that was called 3 or 4 times on the other side but never our way.And i am not sure if Dru was fouled at the last second 3 point shot (because i saw it from a bad angle), but i am 100% sure that Cedrick was fouled couple of minutes before that on a similar shot.I am so tired and i have to go sleep. it is 1:24 am and Can't state and the MAC refs still suck.

The MAC is a conference that does not allow any team to take another lightly, especially when on the road. However the uneven and inconsistent officiating throughout the conference makes it even harder to win on the road, and sometimes even at home. I watched OU and Northern Illinois and the officials at the end of the game seemed physically unable to blow the whistle on OU. Northern won despite that. I didn't see the Toledo vs Akron ame, and I know that Frenchy is biased in favor of Akron, but damn we couldn't catch a break the last eight minutes .......... :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

1 - The 3 pieces of $hit wearing stripes wouldn't let us win the game. (details to be discussed later in the end of this post).Back to the officiating thing... Fear the Roo, i know you're going to jump on my case now with you being the unbiased voice of wisdom etc... but no ! seriously, i was there and i know what i am talking about.I would understand if a ref wants to call tic-tac fouls but at least call them on both sides. Look at the stats, we beat them in the FG%, (50% to 48.8%). We beat them in the FT% (90% to 70.4%). We beat them on the boards (28 to 25). We beat them in the steals (8-5) in the 3pt% (37.5 to 29.4). The only thing they beat us in was turnovers (9-13). The difference in the game was the fckin foul calls and their freakin 27 FT. It seemed like every time the difference grew beyond 5 points, the rockets will go to the FT line in every possession. Let alone the 2 freakin offensive fouls that don't make any sense. And when our post players get fouled and still score, there is a thing called (basket +1 shot) that was called 3 or 4 times on the other side but never our way.And i am not sure if Dru was fouled at the last second 3 point shot (because i saw it from a bad angle), but i am 100% sure that Cedrick was fouled couple of minutes before that on a similar shot.I am so tired and i have to go sleep. it is 1:24 am and Can't state and the MAC refs still suck.
I really don't see this home cooking you speak of. K S U 3 - 6 U of A 23 - 34K S U :champs:

I was listening to the game on internet via the Toledo radio statio that was the basis for another thread post. The Toledo commentators were even saying how Akron was continually getting screwed by the officials.For this to be our year, we have to win big games away from the JAR. Otherwise, we're going to be a very dangerous NIT team...until we have to play on the road. We must find a way to win big games away from the JAR in spite of all opposing circumstances (including terrible officiating).

K S U 3 - 6 U of A 23 - 34
Pot meet Kettle, Kettle meet PotCan't beats Toledo at home on several very questionable calls down the stretch. Those calls go the other way and Toledo wins. It's the MAC - Home cooking rules. Ohio and Can't were just fortunate to have Toledo at home. That will probably end up being the deciding factor on the Tourney's #1 seed On the Zips/Toledo game - Zips up 6 and in control to take the Rockets AND Refs out of the game. Just didnt get it done. A great effort in front of a tough crowd of 8000 (BTW AZ, nice crowd of 3200 at the Mac Center for the Toledo game). As for the last shot by Joyce, saw it on TV/news replay - probably a foul at another time in the game - but never at the buzzer on the road. On the road, you just have to stay out of those situations.Nothing bad about this loss but the Zips still have not shown they can finish a close game strong.

:thumb: Zips Junkie is right on with the observation about Dambrot's recruits...he can't just bring in players and make them 'fit' into his system all the time...Dambrot says it himself...the margin for error is small when you coach and then have to play the way the Zips do...that means you don't bring in kids with talent because you are not flexible enough to adjust to them...in any event...theZips shoot 50%...make 9-10 at the line...outrebound toledo and only score 65 points...and lose!...not enough points on the floor OR off the bench when this team plays an athletically superior team,which toledo was...hate to say it,,,Can't is in the driver's seat for the division unless they completely fall apart...

Concerning Can't as opposed to our recruiting, I believe Can't is starting 2 freshman guards who are athletic contributors. Can't say so much about our frosh. After how he tore up in high school, I must admit that McKnight isn't doing what I thought he would. He was 1st team D-1 all-Ohio for crying out loud. Is that negative commentary about the quality of basketball here in the state of Ohio? Hopefully he'll turn a corner. But it doesn't look like it will happen this year. I had heard he is better than Romeo was as a freshman? Honestly, I don't specifically remember Romeo's freshman year, but I really have to doubt McKnight is contributing more than Rome did.

74ZIP makes one of my favorite points that people always fail to make when watching sports. It's the point that good athletes go a long way in covering up any problems a team may have. In general, athletic players can go a long way to cover up officiating problems and bad coaching decisions.When a good athlete is having a bad night, he can still be good enough to beat an inferior athlete. The inferior athlete must always be better than the superior athlete. The players are human beings and not robots; therefore, some will have off nights. Guarding against the off nights is the key.I didn't see the game last night, but it sounds as if the Zips played hard. As long as the Zips continue to play hard, good things will happen for them.

I didn't see the game last night, but it sounds as if the Zips played hard. As long as the Zips continue to play hard, good things will happen for them.
We haven't beat a quality team on the road since Oral Roberts about 2 months ago. We lost to Toledo last night in pretty much the same manner we lost to them in the MAC tourney last year. Playing hard is great, but we need to stop crapping our pants late in the game vs. Toledo. I was hoping last night's game was going to prove we've gotten over the hump. We're still trying to figure out how to jump the hump...Hey, it could have been worse. We could have lost to a crap NIU team at home, like OU did last night.

Concerning Can't as opposed to our recruiting, I believe Can't is starting 2 freshman guards who are athletic contributors.  Can't say so much about our frosh.  After how he tore up in high school, I must admit that McKnight isn't doing what I thought he would.  He was 1st team D-1 all-Ohio for crying out loud.  Is that negative commentary about the quality of basketball here in the state of Ohio?  Hopefully he'll turn a corner.  But it doesn't look like it will happen this year.  I had heard he is better than Romeo was as a freshman?  Honestly, I don't specifically remember Romeo's freshman year, but I really have to doubt McKnight is contributing more than Rome did.
I'm sorry but I disagree. This is nonsense. The grade on most of our Fresh and Sophs is incomplete - they are role players right now because of the talent in front of them. That is the sign of a good solid program that can win more then it loses year after year. If they (mainly Conyers and McKnight - I'm not really sure how anyone here grades out a redshirt :unsure: ) had more playing time and got comfortable on the court, who knows what we would be saying ? This is just a horrible comparison. From what little we've seen of them, I'd say McKnight will be a force in the league when his time comes, Conyers is a disappointment but will improve with more court time, Bardo looks big on the bench, and McNees looks funny with that hair and headband. And (clearing throat), I'm not really sure I can tell the difference between a walkon and Rybak. Hope he proves me wrong but that is may be our one lost scholarship under KD.

Just some random rambles now that I've slept off the loss.On Linhart, seemed like he was afraid to shoot at the start of the game. After I saw him shoot one, I realized why. He hasn't been able to hit the broad side of a barn the last few games. Defense is still good, though.Wood and Rome definitely had their way down below, but we seemed to refuse to go to them. All we had to do to win this game was keep feeding them late, but instead we tried the three and other long balls and kept coming up empty on possessions. I agree, though, that the foul trouble may have contributed.Why did we start panicking with about 3 minutes left? And again with the sloppy passes!With two seconds left, was Goddard open and Dials didn't throw to him? Can't remember it clearly.Props to the Rowdies. This was my first opportunity to sit near them. They were loud the whole game, and except for the one girl who kept yelling out lame comments, they were pretty effective too. They had the crowd quiet. Also thanks to the Rowdies for their applause for my kids' signs. They worked hard on them and you made their day.A while back, I scolded some people for claiming the refs were biased. I will now eat my crow. These refs were terribly biased. Unfortunately, if the Zips make the big dance, that's probably what they'll have to overcome as they won't get any respect from refs if playing a Big 10 team or the like. On a neutral court, we win this game, probably handily.Is it just me, or is the city of Toledo a total dump?Let's hear it for the Red Panda!!! I can't ride a unicycle, I can't balnce bowls on my head, and I can't balance bowls on my leg. She did all three, plus tossing and catching them! All of Toledo's promotions were quite good. I think we can rebound from this, and the Can't game on the 4th is going to be awesome. It all may be riding on that one. We can still be :champs:

I'm not going to get into it because I just don't see it as worth it, but here are a few short observations:1) Biased and unbalanaced? Where are all of the discussion threads after Can't went to the line FOUR TIMES when they were here? My point is, we as fans are BIASED and see things through rose colored glasses. Down the stretch, ANY close call that goes against us is a bad call. That is the nature of being a fan and rooting for your team. That is part of the game. I understand. I get it. BUT, you must realize that it is extremely rare that any call by an official EVERY costs a game. A true, educated fan realizes that misseds shots, TOs, stupid fouls committed by players and more cost games.And yes, I did say "we fans are BIASED" and that includes me. Although, I have a lot more experience than most looking at games in an unbiased manner. And that is all I am trying to accomplish is to force folks to look at it from a different angle rather than the most convenient one.2) You had at least one, if not two, Big East/MAC officials on that court last night. Yes, they do cross over conferences.3) WInning cures everything with most fans. But I cannot stand sore losers. In the last 24-hours I have seen this loss blamed officiating and KD's recruting. Holy hell, we hear nothing about KD's recruting when they are winning. Can't we just suck it up and take the loss? 4) The ZIPS have shown they can finish a close game strong. There have been a few this year. But as Captain pointed out, the ONLY close road win was Oral Roberts. There's one of your problems folks.5) The closest I have seen an official potentially blowing a game was the Duke Clemson game this year where the clock was screwed up in the last 4.0 of the game. The officials put way too much time on the clock. Many feel that cost Clemson the win. Coach Purnell said regardless, it was his team fault for still allowing Duke to drive the court regardless of the timing error. That is class in my opinion....and remember, that's what a message board is for....opinoins! ;)

I didn't see the game last night, but it sounds as if the Zips played hard.  As long as the Zips continue to play hard, good things will happen for them.
We haven't beat a quality team on the road since Oral Roberts about 2 months ago. We lost to Toledo last night in pretty much the same manner we lost to them in the MAC tourney last year. Playing hard is great, but we need to stop crapping our pants late in the game vs. Toledo. I was hoping last night's game was going to prove we've gotten over the hump. We're still trying to figure out how to jump the hump...Hey, it could have been worse. We could have lost to a crap NIU team at home, like OU did last night.
I'm with you Captain. The Zips played hard, but I really wanted that "quality road win" we haven't had in some time...and evidence that the Zips can get in done at The Q.

I was at the UT game. The stripes with the slick hair makes only offensive foul calls (no pun intended). He ref'd the Central Michigan game and made the same calls. Valenza (sp?), Wood and Rome were beating the crap out of each other and then all of a sudden "slick" would call them for having their hand on a UT player ass 20 feet from the play.Rome's and Middleton's charge calls were blocking calls by 99% of every other qualified college refs. I would say 8 times out of 10, contact on a drive to the hoop ends up as a blocking call. "Slick" proably calls a charge 8 times out of 10.The Cant State at Uof A game should have silenced everyone that home calls are made in the MAC. I only request is that the ref's make consistent calls. You expect homer calls but call the the same everytime.Linhart absolutely can't make a shot, he looks like his legs are gone. He took a 3 point attempt and was about 3 feet short. Rest him and give some time to Conyers, Milum and McKnight.Rome and Wood were unstoppable in the paint. Only double teams slowed them, which should leave someone open. But Linhart, Middleton, Milum, Joyce were not on.Dials shot very well and passed poorly.One last observation... KD needs to wear a suit and tie and dress shoes. :nono: Last night he had grey slacks and white shirt (probably wears it to clean his garage) and tennis shoes. Dress professional and maybe the team will play with that mentality. Dress casual the the team may play casually. I'm superstitous.

One last observation... KD needs to wear a suit and tie and dress shoes. :nono: Last night he had grey slacks and white shirt (probably wears it to clean his garage) and tennis shoes. Dress professional and maybe the team will play with that mentality. Dress casual the the team may play casually. I'm superstitous.
Yesterday around the nation was some coaches for cancer type thing where all the college coaches were wearing tennis shoes in support of cancer research or something like that. I'm not real sure of the details, let alone how tennis shoes relates to cancer, but it explains the odd dress.

One last observation...  KD needs to wear a suit and tie and dress shoes.  :nono: Last night he had grey slacks and white shirt (probably wears it to clean his garage) and tennis shoes.  Dress professional and maybe the team will play with that mentality.  Dress casual the the team may play casually.  I'm superstitous.
All of yesterday's game were "Coaches Against Cancer" games and the coaches wore their team's tennis shoes as a promotional fund raiser. I don't know how effective that was, but that is the reasson why KD had "tennies" on ... did you check out Stan Joplin's feet? :screwks::screwks:

Some quick thoughts after 4 hours of sleep, a 9 hour workday and a two our nap B) We are the best team in the MAC. We need to develop that "killer instinct." Step on the throat, twist the knife mentality. Had em down early, and virtually the whole game but consistently lacked that one extra bucket (i.e. the big three pointer) at key times allowing toledo to get back into it.I will never complain about our crowds again, nor our students. Toledo had a bunch of kids show up, but 95% of them sat with their thumbs in there hiney until the last minute and a half. Rowdies outclassed the toledo kids in their own arena. And we were 2+ hours away from home. I sat in the last row of the Rowdies in toledo, behind gozips88 and his kiddo, Kyle. We need more kids like this one to spur on the AK-Rowdies tradition! Unbelievable excitement and even basketball knowledge. (I was the guy behind ya with the two rowdies wrist bands and the blue zips headband. Sorry for some of my language towards the end there...I was a little upset :( ) Toledo IS a dump. I drove into town on I-75 expecting to see signs for the University. Maybe it's my fault for just assuming the University of Toledo would have some signs directing you from downtown/interstates. NOTHING. I drove around some pretty rough areas looking for the dang school. Stopped at a BP to ask how to get to campus and I got "Uhhh...sorry, I dont know where U of T is at..." HOW DO YOU NOT KNOW? Luckily found a nice kid working at the McDonalds across from that BP that goes to school at UT and gave me good directions, despite me being decked out in full 'rowdies glory.That arena is atrocious! I understand why their message boards are ripe with "proposals" to improve the venue. It makes the JAR look like a gem. I hope I dont get cancer from watching a game in Asbestos Hall. I truly believe that we can beat any team in this league at any point. However, it's looking like we are gonna end up with the #2 at best by virtue of Toledo playing in the MAC's minor league this year (the west). #2 is fine. It sets up a rematch on a neutral court, if everything works out. And I have no doubt we win that game handily either at home or on a neutral court.Alright...off to stew a little more. I need a big win tuesday to get me off this loss kick. Really bugs me to lose! See you all tuesday! GO ZIPS!