2023 MAC Recruiting

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

@catdaddyp could you break our class down and tell us what you think of each recruit?

Also, I’m confused about class rankings. How is Buffalo ranked #1 and we #7 even though we signed six 3-star players while Buffalo only signed 4?

The rankings listed are based solely on the HS/JUCO signings. Rivals is still working on incorporating the portal rankings. Buffalo signed six (HS/JUCO) 3 stars and we signed four (HS/JUCO) 3 stars, but our 16 players combined actually averaged the same as Buffalo’s 24. If we went by the average class rating we’d actually be tied for 1st in the MAC. Instead, the rankings go by total points of each player.

Rivals Rating = Points

6.1 = 150 points

6.0 = 135 points

5.9 = 120 points

5.8 = 105 points

5.7 = 90 points

5.6 = 75 points

5.5 = 60 points

5.4 = 45 points

5.3 = 30 points

5.2 = 15 points

The thing is, unless we are landing about half the class as 3 stars it will be difficult to finish 1st in the conference because JoeMo only wants to take around 15 players from HS/JUCO in each class. Of course, that may change once portal rankings are included. I think this is a great class and complements last year’s class well. I also do not believe we are finished with the portal. I think there is a good chance we bring in another DE (or two) and potentially have another DB (or two) hit the portal in the next window.

I try to say something about each player as I go through and update the position previews. If I have some extra time I’ll go through and break down some highlights on some of our guys here. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here are a few thoughts on Paul Davis’ film. He is absolutely worthy of his 3 star ranking and this may turn out to be a situation like Landers of last year where a kid who should be playing P5 landed with us in the end.

1st Highlight - Davis isn’t necessarily explosive getting out of his stance, but he has long strides and deceptive speed. Watch how he high points the ball in the air and catches it with his hands extended away from his body. He then has the hand strength to hang onto the pass while surrounded by guys who are bumping into him and swiping at the ball.

Next highlight (starting at 0:18) - Davis displayed his body control and hand/eye coordination. When the camera zooms to Davis he is being bumped and the defender has a hand up in his line of vision. Davis again caught the ball away from his body and demonstrated his hand strength (although would rather see him immediately tuck the catch in). Often receivers are unable to make the reception when defenders are bumping them along the route. Really impressive catch.

Highlight on kickoff return (catches ball at 1:00 mark) - Davis is unlikely to be a kick returner at the college level and I’m not highlighting his weaving through the traffic. Instead, notice how he runs through several ankle tackles and hardly breaks stride as he gets closer to midfield and beyond. He is slowed down some, but soon kicks it back up to his top gear. That’s natural balance, lower body strength, and body control some players do not have.

WR screen for touchdown (starting at 1:38) - Davis understands angles. Watch how he catches the ball and allows his blocks to set up. Davis started running in one direction and then made a subtle move to make the defender miss before getting vertical. Knowing when to push sideways and when to get vertical is one trait that separates players who will make it at the college level.

Next highlight (starting at 1:57) - Davis again turned a simple screen into a touchdown. I’m not going to say much about this one is except he looks like a man among boys here. I’m guessing the team he is playing against isn’t exactly top tier.

It’s sometimes hard to gauge a receiver when their whole highlight film is running and catching deep routes, but Davis makes plays in a variety of ways

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Below is the order I believe the 2023 recruiting classes (including portal players) should be ranked. To be honest, there is such little separation between the top 8 teams they could be ranked in a number of different ways. Ball State and Bowling Green are close to each other but have a bit of a drop off from the top 8. Kent State is next. Northern Illinois easily holds down the last spot in my opinion.

1) Eastern Michigan
2) Buffalo

3) Toledo

4) Miami
5) Akron 

6) Western Michigan 

7) Ohio 

8) Central Michigan

9) Ball State

10) Bowling Green

11) Kent State

12) Northern Illinois

I’m sure more portal players will be added at some point. We landed a handful in April last year (including Thompson, Whigan, and George). Bowling Green moved their spring practice up to get a better idea of who will transfer out and try to get ahead of the portal window.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

What would you say makes for a good recruiter?

A number of traits like being able to relate to the kids and families, having an eye for talent, being honest and up front with the kids (and HS coaches), knowing which kids will fit in best with the program, ability to project which position a player will best fit, able to sell the program regardless of location or record.

I think Rodriguez had a hand in more than just the 4 recruits he was given credit for. And I imagine that could be said for all the coaches listed. I know Rodriguez was very active in recruiting the state of Florida no matter the position.

Edited by catdaddyp

8 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

A number of traits like being able to relate to the kids and families, having an eye for talent, being honest and up front with the kids (and HS coaches), knowing which kids will fit in best with the program, ability to project which position a player will best fit, able to sell the program regardless of location or record.

I think Rodriguez had a hand in more than just the 4 recruits he was given credit for. And I imagine that could be said for all the coaches listed. I know Rodriguez was very active in recruiting the state of Florida no matter the position.

Does each individual coach (or at least those w/ seniority) typically scout talent and have the authority to offer a scholarship?  Or do the coaches get together in the off season & have a pool of targets, some ranked higher than others?  Can you give a little insight into the process?

13 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Does each individual coach (or at least those w/ seniority) typically scout talent and have the authority to offer a scholarship?  Or do the coaches get together in the off season & have a pool of targets, some ranked higher than others?  Can you give a little insight into the process?

Depends on how the HC wants everything set up. In general, one of the coaches is assigned “Recruiting Coordinator” and he assigns territory for each coach to recruit. Position coaches will still have a part in recruiting someone at their position no matter what territory. The Director of Recruiting has a wide range of responsibilities from watching film, coordinating visits and camps, making sure contact is being made with recruits, etc. A number of teams also hire a Director of On-Campus recruiting. 

Typically position coaches have the ability to offer scholarships to whoever they wish, but in the end the HC will have the final say of who the priority targets are.

• Like 1

On 2/9/2023 at 1:23 PM, catdaddyp said:

Below is the order I believe the 2023 recruiting classes (including portal players) should be ranked. To be honest, there is such little separation between the top 8 teams they could be ranked in a number of different ways. Ball State and Bowling Green are close to each other but have a bit of a drop off from the top 8. Kent State is next. Northern Illinois easily holds down the last spot in my opinion.

1) Eastern Michigan
2) Buffalo

3) Toledo

4) Miami
5) Akron 

6) Western Michigan 

7) Ohio 

😎 Central Michigan

9) Ball State

10) Bowling Green

11) Kent State

12) Northern Illinois

I’m sure more portal players will be added at some point. We landed a handful in April last year (including Thompson, Whigan, and George). Bowling Green moved their spring practice up to get a better idea of who will transfer out and try to get ahead of the portal window.

I should have also added how impressive it is to even be in the conversation with the upper level of the MAC at this stage. It’s hard to recruit to a program that hasn’t won much recently and it takes a special type of competitor willing to make that leap. If the wins roll in like I expect, I bet the 2024 class will be dynamite.

28 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Top 5 HS/JUCO Quarterbacks (in my opinion):

1) AKRON - Steele Wasel HUDL FILM

2) CENTRAL MICHIGAN - Tyler Jefferson HUDL FILM

3) OHIO - Jacob Winters HUDL FILM

4) EASTERN MICHIGAN - Ike Udengwu HUDL FILM

5) TOLEDO - RJ Johnson HUDL FILM

CMU really landed themselves a stud!

And I thought EMU's QB's tape was spectacular.

Can you tell why you rank Steele as #1 (especially over Ike Udengwu - I would have probably picked Ike as #1.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

CMU really landed themselves a stud!

And I thought EMU's QB's tape was spectacular.

Can you tell why you rank Steele as #1 (especially over Ike Udengwu - I would have probably picked Ike as #1.)

Agree, CMU really lucked out as Jefferson is probably the most physically gifted out of the bunch. I’d be happy with commitments from any of the top 4. I think Steele and Jefferson have the most potential. In his film, Steele was often creating plays due to the pocket breaking down. Seems to me he could thrive in the right system and do plenty of damage with his legs and arm. Winters is the most polished and throws a beautiful ball. He is also a surprisingly good runner.  JUCO QBs usually aren’t as highly recruited as HS QBs, but Udengwu definitely seems to be a good one from his film. He has 3 years to play 2 so he doesn’t have quite as long to contribute as the HS prospects. 

An argument could be made for any type of reordering amongst the top 4. Maybe I’m a little biased, but I think Steele has the best chance at being the most successful due to the scheme he’ll be playing in and who will be coaching him. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

Top 5 HS/JUCO Running Backs (in my opinion):

1) EASTERN MICHIGAN- Deion Brown HUDL FILM

2) OHIO - Rickey Hunt HUDL FILM

3) BUFFALO - Jamari Ford HUDL FILM

4) BUFFALO - Lamar Sperling HUDL FILM

5) WESTERN MICHIGAN - Tre Hartwell HUDL FILM

Dang! EMU w/ #4 QB & #1 RB.  The emu's beat out Deion Sanders & the Colorado Buffaloes for his services.

They're seriously building quite the program up there.

Buffalo stacking RB's like pancakes 🤯

And WMU landed a 6-0, 220 RB offered by Tennessee & Iowa 🧐

Edited by Blue & Gold
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Blue & Gold said:

Dang! EMU w/ #4 QB & #1 RB.  The emu's beat out Deion Sanders & the Colorado Buffaloes for his services.

They're seriously building quite the program up there.

Buffalo stacking RB's like pancakes 🤯

And WMU landed a 6-0, 220 RB offered by Tennessee & Iowa 🧐

Yep, EMU certainly seems to be recruiting at a high level. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought I heard they have been heavily investing in their football program. 

If Buffalo can get an offense to match their defense, they will be cooking. They need better QB play. Jamari Ford is more of a utility back and not an every down back due to his size. He is explosive though and will probably see time in the slot and especially as a returner on special teams.

I think Western Michigan had an off-balanced class. Very top heavy and Hartwell definitely lands with some of their guys at the top.

Edited by catdaddyp

Top 5 HS/JUCO Offensive Line (in my opinion):

1) NORTHERN ILLINOIS - Michael Jimmar HUDL FILM

2) CENTRAL MICHIGAN - Jacob Booth HUDL FILM

3) NORTHERN ILLINOIS - Thomas Paasch HUDL FILM

4) TOLEDO - Cole Rhett HUDL FILM

5) WESTERN MICHIGAN - Luke Zanotti HUDL FILM

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

Top 5 HS/JUCO Defensive Ends/Edge (in my opinion):

1) EASTERN MICHIGAN - Messiah Blair HUDL FILM

2) BUFFALO - Dion Crawford HUDL FILM