Class of '24 Recruits & Verbal Commitments

4 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

Anyone worried about our relatively slow start in 2024 compared to some of the other MAC schools, worry no more. This class is ramping up. Commitments from (5.5) 3 star WR Kyan Mason (OH) and (5.5) 3 star RB Sean Patrick (OH).

Holy crap. These are legitimate high school recruits. Beating out multiple P5s for each guy, plus many MAC schools - that's a sign that the tides are truly turning for this program under JoeMo.

Edit: When's the last time we either 1) beat out multiple P5s & MAC schools for recruits or 2) secured top talent in NEO? Let alone both?

Edited by Let'sGoZips94
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

@catdaddyp Did JoeMo have his camp? Do you think that could be the catalyst for the number of 2024 commits in the last week?

I’d have to think they played a part in it. Getting guys on campus is always a big deal. There were 4 camps this month and the staff issued out a ton of offers, some to 2024s but especially to 2025 and 2026 prospects. 

We’re about to go into a recruiting dead period, but hopefully we get some news about how the team and incoming players look.

• Like 1

Just for comparison to HS commitments at this time last year. Had 10 and then 2 more committed in July.

QB - Steele Wasel

WR - Adrian Norton

TE - Conner Cravaack

OL - Maurice Long (did not sign)

OL - Jonas Mann

DT - Marcus Moore

LB - Joshua Bowen (did not sign)

CB - Jean Louis

CB - Catrell White

CB - Zayden Laing-Taylor

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, catdaddyp said:

BOOM! (5.5) 3 star CB Mike Smith is on board.

Offers to Ball St, BG, Duke, EMU, UMASS, Miami (OH), Ohio, and Toledo. We are consistently bringing in players right now who seem to be a step up from what the program has in the 14+ years I've been following. In the past, we may have gotten a few of these guys at signing day after offers have seemingly fallen through, but we're legitimately beating out other programs for these guys. Great time to be a Zip!

Edited by LZIp
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

BOOM! (5.5) 3 star CB Mike Smith is on board.

I like that his Twitter page shows a photo of his certificate of achievement for gaining Summa cum Laude honors. A very solid pickup. Congratulations to the staff and all long suffering Zip fans. This is going to be a great next few years with JoMo.

In Joe We Trust. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Offers to Ball St, BG, Duke, EMU, UMASS, Miami (OH), Ohio, and Toledo. We are consistently bringing in players right now who seem to be a step up from what the program has in the 14+ years I've been following. In the past, we may have gotten a few of these guys at signing day after offers have seemingly fallen through, but we're legitimately beating out other programs for these guys. Great time to be a Zip!

This.

Furthermore, this rush of commits is happening right after camp season, meaning these guys are traveling around and after they get to Akron, they're sold on us. Not Toledo (Smith attended their 7on7), not P5 schools - Akron is where they want to be. AND these are OHIO kids. Amazing what JoeMo & staff are building. 

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, LZIp said:

This class is turning into something serious. A number of these guys have camped at P5 schools and have drawn serious consideration for offers even if they did not come away with one. They are known and the ones with 3 star ratings were clearly expected to go P5 by at least one recruiting service. Outside of not winning as many games as I expected last year, recruiting has been excellent. The first class (2022) was a good one and underrated. The second (2023) was very good (outstanding in the portal). The third (2024) may very well finish as the best in the MAC. Can’t wait to see what portal additions will eventually be added to this class, but I’m getting way ahead of myself now.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, catdaddyp said:

This class is turning into something serious. A number of these guys have camped at P5 schools and have drawn serious consideration for offers even if they did not come away with one. They are known and the ones with 3 star ratings were clearly expected to go P5 by at least one recruiting service. Outside of not winning as many games as I expected last year, recruiting has been excellent. The first class (2022) was a good one and underrated. The second (2023) was very good (outstanding in the portal). The third (2024) may very well finish as the best in the MAC. Can’t wait to see what portal additions will eventually be added to this class, but I’m getting way ahead of myself now.

Do you think we're largely done with the high school additions? 

27 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Do you think we're largely done with the high school additions? 

I think the plan is about 15 per year. And I think we have 16 seniors (17 if Bubba is included). Who knows how many guys will transfer or forgo their “COVID” year (at least the ones who have that option). The roster was so wonky when the new staff took over, they finally seem to be in a normal spot with the numbers.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, catdaddyp said:

I think the plan is about 15 per year. And I think we have 16 seniors (17 if Bubba is included). Who knows how many guys will transfer or forgo their “COVID” year (at least the ones who have that option). The roster was so wonky when the new staff took over, they finally seem to be in a normal spot with the numbers.

Also, what are our competitors in the MAC doing so far for the c/o 2024?

49 minutes ago, Let'sGoZips94 said:

Also, what are our competitors in the MAC doing so far for the c/o 2024?

EMU probably has the best class at the moment (16 commitments). Miami (15) and Toledo (13) got off to the quickest start, but both have already lost a commitment or two. Akron is definitely in the top tier as far as quality, just don’t have as many commitments at the moment. WMU (11) is doing a surprisingly good job this year as well. Kent State (13), Ball State (16), and NIU (18) have taken a major leap forward compared to their 2023 classes. CMU (13) has been hit or miss. Bowling Green (5), Ohio (3), and Buffalo (0) bring up the rear. 

Compared to last year, I thought EMU was the leader but Akron finished with a flurry. If the 2023 ratings would be completed, they would reflect Akron as being top 3 for HS/JUCO. Although, our portal class was hands down the best in the MAC. 

I suspect by the time it’s all said and done the top 2024 classes will be between EMU, Akron, and Toledo. Not including the portal in that statement as this staff has cleaned up like no other MAC school in that area.

Edited by catdaddyp
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Looks like another good get!

I also think he has a twin brother who plays the same position that might be committing too?

Also, this is now 3 players committed from this high school. Need some background on this school and your prediction on who will have the best career @catdaddyplol

Edited by LZIp
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LZIp said:

I also think he has a twin brother who plays the same position that might be committing too?

Also, this is now 3 players committed from this high school. Need some background on this school and your prediction on who will have the best career @catdaddyplol

There’s a lot to unpack here, but first, what a class this is turning out to be! 

That Bryan Station team has some serious talent. Outside of our 3 commits they also have 3 star DB/ATH JT Haskins, who we’ve also offered. One of the Rivals writers at Louisville has forecasted Haskins to Louisville. Although, that was back in January so I’m not sure how much has changed.

Dahvon Frazier seems to be the most explosive of the bunch and should play OLB or “WILL” in the 4-2-5 alignment. Jason Hocker should play ILB or “MIKE. He’s a thumper similar to the other LBs that Tibesar has brought in. Jahvon Frazier will likely be slotted as a weakside DE or “rush end.”  Jahvon is another edge type that can really run.

Im guessing the twins told all the programs they were a package deal seeing as they had all the same offers. Recruiting win over West Virginia, Marshall, and Ohio (amongst others). Now we need to hang on to them until signing day….

• Like 1