Game 3 - Kentucky

ZippyRulz

A final thought on Kentucky -

I dunno how many fans they had at the game...maybe 55,000? 

Their stadium seats 61,000 and routinely sells out. Our parking space sold for $200 on Stub Hub. I can't imagine what a space goes for when Tennessee or Alabama rolls into town.

The lots were full of RV's, trailers, HD TV's...all their fans wore either white, or blue. There were literally thousands of incredibly attractive women in form-fitting dresses, tank tops, white cowboy boots...it was something to behold (ditto for Tennessee last year, NC State in the past...southern schools game days can be quite the fashion show).

So in a nut shell, game days in Lexington are a big time party. Millions upon millions of dollars generated by the school. 

In Akron we get a few thousand fans on a given Saturday. Our average ticket price is at least $100 less than a UK ducat. Our game day parking, directly behind the goal post, is included with our $100 season tickets. Yet we were down only 14-3 midway through the 4th quarter? If resources controlled the outcome, we should have lost by 60. Kudos to what Joe and Co. are building at UA with a ham and cheese budget.

Speaking to a UA official in the lot, apparently Kentucky is trying to get out of the return game in Akron next year. Akron is receptive to the buy-out, because "We don't want them filling our stadium with blue and beating us by 30." That comment saddened me, as it is small-time thinking. Joe will have the program competitive next year. We'd have a good chance of hanging with them. The Infocision lots would be full of RV's, music, fans...it would be an awesome game day in Akron for maybe the 3rd time since it opened. But it probably won't happen. I told the official as much..."So what are you going to do...replace Kentucky with Bethune Cookman? That sucks." He said "Oh no, we'll get someone good." No chance.

If we play Kentucky in Lexington in the future, make the 5 hour trip down 71. Lexington is a really fun city. The Kentucky fans are very nice. Distilleries abound. It's a great weekend.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

A final thought on Kentucky -

I dunno how many fans they had at the game...maybe 55,000? 

Their stadium seats 61,000 and routinely sells out. Our parking space sold for $200 on Stub Hub. I can't imagine what a space goes for when Tennessee or Alabama rolls into town.

The lots were full of RV's, trailers, HD TV's...all their fans wore either white, or blue. There were literally thousands of incredibly attractive women in form-fitting dresses, tank tops, white cowboy boots...it was something to behold (ditto for Tennessee last year, NC State in the past...southern schools game days can be quite the fashion show).

So in a nut shell, game days in Lexington are a big time party. Millions upon millions of dollars generated by the school. 

In Akron we get a few thousand fans on a given Saturday. Our average ticket price is at least $100 less than a UK ducat. Our game day parking, directly behind the goal post, is included with our $100 season tickets. Yet we were down only 14-3 midway through the 4th quarter? If resources controlled the outcome, we should have lost by 60. Kudos to what Joe and Co. are building at UA with a ham and cheese budget.

Speaking to a UA official in the lot, apparently Kentucky is trying to get out of the return game in Akron next year. Akron is receptive to the buy-out, because "We don't want them filling our stadium with blue and beating us by 30." That comment saddened me, as it is small-time thinking. Joe will have the program competitive next year. We'd have a good chance of hanging with them. The Infocision lots would be full of RV's, music, fans...it would be an awesome game day in Akron for maybe the 3rd time since it opened. But it probably won't happen. I told the official as much..."So what are you going to do...replace Kentucky with Bethune Cookman? That sucks." He said "Oh no, we'll get someone good." No chance.

If we play Kentucky in Lexington in the future, make the 5 hour trip down 71. Lexington is a really fun city. The Kentucky fans are very nice. Distilleries abound. It's a great weekend.

I agree, Lexington is a gem.  The game day environment was awesome and everyone was very friendly (I got four "What's a zip?").  I was disappointed with the Indiana crowd, seemed like over half of the crowd left after the halftime high school bands performance.

One of my grandsons and I make one trip a year to a P5 game. This year it was Kentucky. I completely agree with the Captain and Mark. There was a day when I got around a bit better that the distilleries and a weekend stay would be the thing. This time down Saturday and back on Sunday morning. I have been to several P5 games and this one impressed me immensely. Fans treated us very well, got questions from the Kentucky users about the TD Tire. Ushers dressed very well in Blue Blazers, black tie, white shirt and black pants. The tailgating was awesome, and we made it to the Akron tailgate in green lot. I hope Kentucky comes to Akron.  WE got several comments from Kentucky fans about Akron being much better than was thought. GO ZIPS. SEASON STARTS SATURDAY

Edited by 60zip
Correction spelling and add item
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Speaking to a UA official in the lot, apparently Kentucky is trying to get out of the return game in Akron next year. Akron is receptive to the buy-out, because "We don't want them filling our stadium with blue and beating us by 30." That comment saddened me, as it is small-time thinking. 

It is sad because it is small time thinking. Below is my reasoning. 

First, if KY wants out, don't let the door hit you in the caboose. These contracts tend to have buyout clauses and if they want to exercise it, that was the agreement. Bye. 

Why is it sad? The official frames the situation  as presented. When talking to a fan and especially one who owns the fan board, put a positive spin on the situation. Say you wish the game remained the same but you believe the athletic department will put together a game and game day experience that will be just as good for the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community as it would for KY.....and then freaking do it.

The idea that our destiny lies in the hands of P5 schools is one that I dislike the most. It's the small vision the MAC has for itself and it absolutely reject it out of hand. It's the idea that what KY fans may do that defines a successful day that I dislike. Our success isn't defined by KY flags and fan counts. It is defined by Akron using a football game to benefit the athletes, students, alumni, fans and general community that defines success. That can also be accomplished by playing any G5 school.  

Edited by GP1
  • Like 2