Zips Baseball/Softball 2024

csims0917

Hello everybody! Since were in a "bye week" in basketball I decided to get everyone excited about the baseball season. Your Akron Zips finished 21-34 last season despite the coaching disaster to start the year. Now am I expecting us to win the MAC? Hell no. However I think .500 should be a goal for this season to continue to improve off of the best season the baseball program has had since they returned. A new era begins with Bryan Faulds taken over as head coach so I am curious how the zips will come out this year. They start out the year with Illinois in a neutral site and will return home on March 8th for a game against Toledo. 

The softball team is coming off of a 28-23 season and received a first place vote in the MAC preseason poll and were listed at 4th I believe. They start out on February 16th and will be back home on March 15th. Wanted to include them in case they make some noise in the MAC. I am not an expert though.

Happy for baseball to be back this week and I am very excited to see Akron and other College Baseball games (gotta find out who the guardians will draft at number 1 this year) this spring!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

BASEBALL FRIDAY!!!  So happy to see the Zips return home for a game, and to see how the new staff does with these young men.  Won't be back from FLA until Easter, so these early 3-game series will be viewed on ESPN+ (thank you very much!) but I'll have my Baseball Sweatshirt on and an adult beverage on hand (or in hand?).

Go Zips!!!

• Like 1

We caught the double header vs. Toledo today. Unfortunately they lost both to the Rockets. The Rockets won 2-1 in the opener and 6-3 in the second game. The second game was marred by Rockets fans and latet the Rockets themselves laughing and yelling at Zips fans. The Zips play must have struck a nerve 😀. Stay classless.

The games were close and the Zips were competitive. After the rough start to the new program, I’ll take that. Our players and coaches handled themselves like pros. 

Edited by Spin

Not nit-picking, but it was opposite, Game 1 was 6-3, Game 2 was 2-1.  Bases loaded bottom of the 9th down 1, and couldn't finish it off.  But both games were competitive as you said.

I was just excited to be back on campus and watching Toledo fans act like dumbasses. It’s been too long (for me).

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A solid showing by the team again this past weekend, and they got their first MAC win, first home win and first MAC/home win for Coach Faulds.  Zippys have a problem in the early innings of every game it seems like, and they get in a hole that's hard t dig out of.  Went to Saturday's game, and it got very exciting when the boys scored 6 runs to take the lead, but relief pitching killed them in the 9th inning for the loss.  Yesterday was too cold for us, and didn't know the game was changed to 11, but saw it was changed on Instagram after church and tuned in on ESPN+.  This one was much better, but our bats are pretty quiet right now.  They managed to manufacture a run in the bottom of the ninth with 2 outs, without getting a hit!  2 walks, a hit batter and a passed ball scored the winner!  Not pretty, but the boys needed a win and got one.   Nice bunch of players, sorely lacking pitching, starts two freshman including a Stow Native, and of course Sam Seeker is a local boy as well.  Bring on the warm weather please? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, ZippyRulz said:

1-11 start in conference baseball. I assume we're a bit short of arm talent(?)

Unfortunately you are right.  We've been to a game vs. NIU and went to game one yesterday vs. Miami, plus watched one on ESPN+.  Players seem to be playing better fundamentals, and the infield seems to have stronger arms with less errors.  Bats don't seem as strong as last season.  But pitching killed them in the games I've seen.  Although Jared Schaeffer had a great outing Thursday.  But the Friday double-header, especially game one, was painful.  6 runs given up in the 2nd, 15 total.  Lost the second game after leading.  When they have had a lead, they give it back almost immediately with a negative big inning.  I think they gave up over 35 hits Friday alone, over 40 for the three games.  Maybe wrong, but close to those numbers.  They keep fighting though.   Going through the coaching carousel some of these guys have been on can't expect a lot different.  

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry guys, been away from the forum for awhile, not because I wanted to be. 

the good news:

Chris Bassett  had another quality start for the Blue Jays last night going 6.2 innings giving up 5 hits and 1 run against the Mariners. He had 4 K’s against 4 walks. When he’s on he’s 12-0 with 6+ IP, a Jays record.

the bad news:

His alma mater is in the middle of another build (hard to call it a rebuild). 

the good news:

We have a team, the kids are trying, and it’s a great excuse to get outside on campus in the spring.

Edited by Spin
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Spin said:

Sothe bad news:

His alma mater is in the middle of another build (hard to call it a rebuild). 

the good news:

We have a team, the kids are trying, and it’s a great excuse to get outside on campus in the spring.

I haven't been out to see them play yet. Are they at least good enough to give us some hope in the direction of the program?

22 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

I haven't been out to see them play yet. Are they at least good enough to give us some hope in the direction of the program?

We've gone to two games and watched 3 on ESPN+.  My opinion is, no, they are not good enough to give us hope.  There is some talent, but the bats have left Zippyland.  And unfortunately, there is absolute no arms in the starting rotation or out of the pen.  But the kids all seem to be nice and they are trying hard.  Word from one of the young women dating a starting player is that the players are thrilled with the new coach and there could be 10 to 12 who leave after this season.  Gossip, I know.  There's at least a handful of local kids playing that makes it worth a visit to Skeeles on a nice day.  I't free!

Ms Claws, why would 10-12 players leave if they are thrilled with the new coach? Did you mean they weren't thrilled?

With any change of regime you have players who were the faves by the old (losing) staff, and athletes can jump ship almost at will. It’s worse than free agency with some of these kids. 

On 4/13/2024 at 9:45 AM, Blue & Gold said:

On 4/11/2024 at 6:15 PM, 72 Roo said:

Ms Claws, why would 10-12 players leave if they are thrilled with the new coach? Did you mean they weren't thrilled?

Sorry Roo...yes, typo on my part, they AREN'T thrilled with the current staff.  My bad...sorry for the delay in response, got to go to the Masters this year!  Woo Hoo!

• Like 1

We just need to hire a coach who is interested in building a team here. Heck one who actually shows up for work is nice. Not just get a paycheck until something better comes along. Building a program, not padding a resume.

Maybe we're there.

I'm not expecting miracles. Winning record in the MAC and be competitive against one or power conference foes.

See also football.

Edited by Spin
  • Thanks 1

Back in Ohio for a few months, and we are looking forward to going over to Firestone Stadium for the MAC softball Championships, and possibly going up to Avon for some of the MAC baseball Championships.  I know the baseball team won't be up there, but what is anyone's thoughts on the women making the top 6 for the Tourney?  Our Kent State "acquaintances" love to tell stories how they went and stayed in Avon Lake for the baseball action in the past, and how great a long weekend was up there.  I envy them.