Buffalo

Lee Adams

:john: Was at the UB game on Saturday...sat behind the Zip's bench...some personal on the scene observations...THE GOOD: UB has a nice facility..very serviceable..on campus...free parking...the Pearl St Grilla nd Brewerey in Buffalo is the real deal...Williams and Allen are horses..they can play...Niagara Falls...what can I say...the O line wasn't that badThe Bad...lets go right to the ugly...THE UGLY: THE DEFENSE...nothing has changed...can't tackle...can't cover..can't rush...can't get iteself off the field..that starts with the D coordinator on down...blow it up and change it next year.....The OFFENSE...too many plays for losses ...bad play calling in scoring position...starts with the O coordinator...ends with players who can't execute...Jacquemain...nothing changes..locks on 1 receiver..panics...forces the ball...can't run...Kasparek...worst excuse for a tight end I have seen at this level in a while...runs wrong routes...weak after the catch...finally saw a coach get in his grill after he blew a route...cost them a possesion...Brookhart...seems to have detached himself from the rest of the team during the games...only with special teams...think he is rehearsing for another job...maybe worst of all..looks like the team has given up on Jacquemain and he doesn't want to or can't lead..except after the first and only TD when the offense came to the sideline..nobody talked to Jacquemain and he talked to nobody...sat with his head down...why would they count on some one like thatThats what I saw...What...Wait until next year?

I'll give JD until the end of the season to prove something....ANYTHING.... but if I had to make a snap judgement right now over what we've seen then I'd say it's time to clean house. JD has had four years to improve on what his predecessor did and has been given every advantage that that guy didn't have, and nothing has changed. Why waste another year with a staff that has been outcoached in the MAC time and time again when we're getting ready to head into a new stadium and are going to need the community behind us?? If we don't at least split these last 4 then Mack and Proenza need to show JD and company the door.

That's true. However, LO never had a field house, practice field, or a new stadium to draw players. We have a premier field house and a practice field directly on campus, along with everyone's dream come true, a new state-of-the art stadium. In 4 years, even though we have heard the hype, about our great recruiting classes, what has JD accomplished. Yes, we won the MACC and played in the Motor City Bowl. Those were 2 wonderful experiences, but let's be realistic. We got lucky to be even in the MACC and just as lucky to go to the bowl game. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on JD. These last 4 games will show us if he has anything left in the tank or playing out the string.

No improvement over his predecessor?His predecessor was 12-32 thru 4 years.JD is about even in the win/loss column thru almost 4 years.As fans, you have a right to expect more. We all do. But you can't argue that there hasn't been improvement since JD took over.
Some of you just don't get it...THERE HAS BEEN NO IMPROVEMENT SINCE JD TOOK OVER!!!! You can't leave someone a C- or C+ team take over and 4 years later they are still a C-/D+ team!! Thats not improvement. Look at your own statement closely, sure looks like no improvement to me!!!His predecessor was 12-32 thru 4 years.JD is about even in the win/loss column thru almost 4 years.Sounds like minimal to no improvement to me!!!

That's true. However, LO never had a field house, practice field, or a new stadium to draw players. We have a premier field house and a practice field directly on campus, along with everyone's dream come true, a new state-of-the art stadium. In 4 years, even though we have heard the hype, about our great recruiting classes, what has JD accomplished. Yes, we won the MACC and played in the Motor City Bowl. Those were 2 wonderful experiences, but let's be realistic. We got lucky to be even in the MACC and just as lucky to go to the bowl game. As far as I am concerned, the jury is still out on JD. These last 4 games will show us if he has anything left in the tank or playing out the string.
Lee Owens absolutely stunk. I can't believe anyone ever comes in here and defends him. During the Owens years, the following teams were better than us: BGSU, Miami and Marshall. None of those teams had either a new stadium or fieldhouse. How did they get good?What was the luck in the MACC? The way I saw it, we completely outcoached NIU in the final 15 minutes of the game.

Ryno....?????I wasn't a math major, but there's quite a difference between a winning percentage around .500. and a winning percentage of .272
If winning is all that matters, than no, there is no improvement because neither coach has/had a winning record. To me, there's more to college football than winning, but to most people like the community that is supposed to support the team and pay the bills, for example, doesn't care about student-athletes or school spirit or pride, they want to root for a winning team. The thing is, they have no winning team to root for on the gridiron. Who the hell would want travel to a crumbling stadium where you can get ass-splinters and where there are no doors on the bathroom stalls and no railings on the stairs just to watch a bunch of losers get their ass handed to them once again?I know better -- many of us know better -- but that is the public perception, and that is what dictates how our football "business" is run. Very few schools make money from athletics, but at the very least, we could try not to LOSE more money than before. That would be an improvement, but we are still faking attendance numbers and still pouring money into a failing program. An overhaul is needed, whether that would involve firing everybody and starting from scratch is not my call to make, but something needs to change. The thing is that we have no catalyst to spark the change right now and are stuck in a mode of perpetual suck.

For improvement you should look at LO last 4 years 21-25 (46%) and JD is 21-23 (48%).So yes JD is better than LO, but not by much.
Three of LO's wins were against I-AA teams during that period. Eliminate three wins with three sure loses, as we couldn't beat a decent I-A team to save our life then, and you have a 39% winning percentage.Guys, I suffered more than anyone during those LO years. Believe me, I know the numbers inside and out. I know the excuses inside and out. Any way you slice it, he was a horrible coach. JD may not be the best coach, but he is better than LO. When JD leaves Akron, it will not be for a D-II school.

Ryno....?????I wasn't a math major, but there's quite a difference between a winning percentage around .500. and a winning percentage of .272
Well you don't have to be a math major to know that....Lee Owens 21 wins and 25 losses his last 4 years at Akron.vs.JD Brookharts 21 wins and 23 losses right now (and he has 3 games to go that very well might be losses!!!) That is no improvement......from what you were left to what is going on right now!!!.if he wins out that is minimal improvement if he losses out that is worse!!, what don't you understand?!!! Did he improve on what was left him? I don't give a shit about facilities, or better athletes. It all boils down to wins and losses and right now we have made little to know progress.Everyone points out a BCS win and a bowl game. OK who's to say L.O. couldn't have accomplished the same things maybe maybe not. I am not defending L.O. I am simply stating that from What Lee Owens left JD Brookhart till right now I see minimal improvement! Great he delivered on a BCS win and what does that amount to exactly?? how has that one win benefited this program, are people scared to play us now? Did we land any big recruits because of that win? Lastly I think JD has potential he shows glimpse of promise in my opinion but right now I feel he is more mr. wrong than mr. right.Sorry I made my reply before refreshing my screen!! But at least a few people see my point.

If winning is all that matters, than no, there is no improvement because neither coach has/had a winning record. To me, there's more to college football than winning, but to most people like the community that is supposed to support the team and pay the bills, for example, doesn't care about student-athletes or school spirit or pride, they want to root for a winning team. The thing is, they have no winning team to root for on the gridiron. Who the hell would want travel to a crumbling stadium where you can get ass-splinters and where there are no doors on the bathroom stalls and no railings on the stairs just to watch a bunch of losers get their ass handed to them once again?I know better -- many of us know better -- but that is the public perception, and that is what dictates how our football "business" is run. Very few schools make money from athletics, but at the very least, we could try not to LOSE more money than before. That would be an improvement, but we are still faking attendance numbers and still pouring money into a failing program. An overhaul is needed, whether that would involve firing everybody and starting from scratch is not my call to make, but something needs to change. The thing is that we have no catalyst to spark the change right now and are stuck in a mode of perpetual suck.
I couldn't of said it better, I love Akron Football...I played Akron football so know one wants them to win more than I do.Guys I think all of us are just frustrated and looking for answers, because we know what Uof A has to offer we all have fond memories of this place and it holds a special place in our hearts, unfortunately the majority don't share our passion.We basically have 2 choices..1. Keep hiring and firing until we get that one that just takes this program to where it needs to beor 2. Stick with a coach through the good and bad until he one day gets it.What the university is doing is kinda a hybrid of both give a guy 8 years if he doest get it he is gone.

Well you don't have to be a math major to know that....Lee Owens 21 wins and 25 losses his last 4 years at Akron.vs.JD Brookharts 21 wins and 23 losses right now (and he has 3 games to go that very well might be losses!!!) That is no improvement......from what you were left to what is going on right now!!!.if he wins out that is minimal improvement if he losses out that is worse!!, what don't you understand?!!! Did he improve on what was left him? I don't give a shit about facilities, or better athletes. It all boils down to wins and losses and right now we have made little to know progress.Everyone points out a BCS win and a bowl game. OK who's to say L.O. couldn't have accomplished the same things maybe maybe not. I am not defending L.O. I am simply stating that from What Lee Owens left JD Brookhart till right now I see minimal improvement! Great he delivered on a BCS win and what does that amount to exactly?? how has that one win benefited this program, are people scared to play us now? Did we land any big recruits because of that win? Lastly I think JD has potential he shows glimpse of promise in my opinion but right now I feel he is more mr. wrong than mr. right.Sorry I made my reply before refreshing my screen!! But at least a few people see my point.
Agree with GP1 on this one..LO had the 1AA wins to pad his horrible record and that was in years 6, 7, 8 and 9....Try comparing years 1-4. There is no comparison.While it's hard to argue and pinpoint the teams' success playing in Ohio, there clearly is plenty. The O-line looked above average on Saturday, BW24 was really good except for the 2 drops....and one of those was a bad pass. The much aligned defense was not that bad. Giving up 20 to Temple and 26 to Buffalo isn't that bad. Again, if the offense could score, we win both games. Furthermore, LO NEVER played a Bullafo team that is this good....Again, hard to see the progress. BTW, LO's teams would give up 35 to even the bad teams.......The only knock on JD this year is the QB. He was awful. Looks like he's trying.....but his throws are late and high over the middle. And his decisions on when to run are bad....When my 10 year old can notice that he didn't look like he was going full speed on a run and that he should have dove for the first down, I do wonder what the coaches are looking at....What the heck did CJ7 do that was so bad??????We will win many more? If the QB play improves we will!!! Otherwise, the "long" season will continue....

Lee Owens absolutely stunk. I can't believe anyone ever comes in here and defends him. During the Owens years, the following teams were better than us: BGSU, Miami and Marshall. None of those teams had either a new stadium or fieldhouse. How did they get good?What was the luck in the MACC? The way I saw it, we completely outcoached NIU in the final 15 minutes of the game.
:unsure: is anybody talking about bringing a Lee Owens type in here...I'm NOT...thats the problem the AD"S have brought in guys with NO head coaching experience...in the BIGS or at a level that would give them a track record...Owens was a line coach at OSU for 5 minutes for god sakes and Brokenhart was a WELL what was he? anyway there are plenty of I-AA or D-II head coaches who would love to coach in a new stadium...Brookhart has until the end of this year...not next...he is either improving the program or he can go be a special teams coach at Colorado State...

I have been around UA sports twice as long as the age of most you. I have endured the good, the bad & the ugly in all of our athletic endeavors. The one thing I keep reading is: if, maybe, should have, what if, etc. All of those are speculations We need to start making positive results. We keep trying to make excuses. We all need to accept the consequences for our actions and we need to make notice to the powers that be, that we are not satisfied we the direction or lack of direction the the football program.

I've been told by someone close to the program that coach Moorhead is a very strict guy. Once you get on his bad side, he doesn't forget. CJ7 seems to have put himself into the doghouse and there is no relief in sight. :screwks:
If we had a real newpaper in town everyone would know why CJ7...the QB that beat K.e.n.t...isn't on the field. But we don't, so we don't. Nice job, DL Morgan. :rolleyes: Could you imagine being in Columbus...and Troy Smith beats Michigan in September (for argument's sake)...and sits on the bench the rest of the season...and no reporter ever asks "What gives?" to Tressel at any point through October?

and Brokenhart was a WELL what was he?
After two minutes with the press guide, I found the following.1. Two years coaching assistant with Denver Broncos2. Offensive coordinator at Pitt, coached from 1997-2003.3. "Coached 2003 Heisman Trophy runner-up and Biletnikoff Award winner Larry Fitzgerald."4. "Coached 2000 Biletnikoff Award winner Antonio Bryant, now with the San Francisco 49ers."5. Five bowl appearances at Pitt6. Plucked Dominik Hixon off the defensive scrap heap that LO placed him on and turned him into an NFL player.7. Brought Brett Biggs to UofA.

I have been around UA sports twice as long as the age of most you. I have endured the good, the bad & the ugly in all of our athletic endeavors. The one thing I keep reading is: if, maybe, should have, what if, etc. All of those are speculations We need to start making positive results. We keep trying to make excuses. We all need to accept the consequences for our actions and we need to make notice to the powers that be, that we are not satisfied we the direction or lack of direction the the football program.
Hey ZJ, 1974 grad. Watched the Zips play a game at Cuyahoga Falls High school, I think because the turf at the Bowl was so chewed up. I'd even love to see something like they had when I watched Larson and Dennison coach...ya think?

Hey ZJ, 1974 grad. Watched the Zips paly a game at Cuyahoga Falls High school, I think because the turf at the Bowl was so chewed up. I'd even love to see something like they had when I watched Larson and Dennison coach...ya think?

I've been told by someone close to the program that coach Moorhead is a very strict guy. Once you get on his bad side, he doesn't forget. CJ7 seems to have put himself into the doghouse and there is no relief in sight. :screwks:
If we had a real newpaper in town everyone would know why CJ7...the QB that beat K.e.n.t...isn't on the field. But we don't, so we don't. Nice job, DL Morgan. :rolleyes: Could you imagine being in Columbus...and Troy Smith beats Michigan in September (for argument's sake)...and sits on the bench the rest of the season...and no reporter ever asks "What gives?" to Tressel at any point through October?
I agree. However, if we had any "insiders" we would know also. Other boards have people that are very close to the program and know what is going on. Here, we don't even have anyone that can tell is if someone is or isn't on the team.

I agree. However, if we had any "insiders" we would know also. Other boards have people that are very close to the program and know what is going on. Here, we don't even have anyone that can tell is if someone is or isn't on the team.
Thanks for the reminder. Is Davon Moore on the team? :rolleyes:

Doesn't the BJ "writer" get paid to do this?Do you expect someone to come in and do your job for free?