Post Game Thoughts

skip-zip

My thoughts.....Weather wasn't anywhere near as bad as I expected, but the crowd still stayed away. Best 3rd Q we played all year, but we still could have finished off the game very early if not for allowing OU to score a TD on a 4th and 10 from the Akron 40 on a bomb in the 3rd Q.However, best job of closing out a close game late as we've had all year. Running game really developing well with the Allen/Williams combination.Linebackers making solid tackles tonight, on a team with a good running attack. Well, except for that nice, long, scary run that they had in the first half.DBs knocking away some passes on some key 3rd down plays.What's with CJ7 playing 1st Q, and CJ11 playing the rest of the game? Not the rotation we've been seeing up to this point.Best offensive play of the game: CJ11 rolling out, getting the DB to commit, and hitting the open TE for the clinching TD.

As I'm thinking about it, I can't resist one more thought.I know some of you will say, "well, that is just the surprising nature of MAC football", but how in the world did we hang up 48 points on a defense that we could not score on last year until the very end of the game?Sure, they may not be exactly the same defense, but it's still not at all what I expected to see tonight, in my wildest imagination.

What's with CJ7 playing 1st Q, and CJ11 playing the rest of the game? Not the rotation we've been seeing up to this point.
I thought the same thing. It was an interesting move by JD. I'm not sure if it was by design or the fact that he felt a change was needed. If by design, he was playing one one quarter and the other the second. He went with the hot hand in the second half and it worked out. I have to admit that CJ11 played much better than CJ7 last night.Last night was probably the best coached game since the MACC. Offense moved the ball and the defense changed coverages the second half and played much better.

Scoring Summary (Final)2007 University of Akron FootballOhio vs Akron (Nov 07, 2007 at Akron, Ohio)Ohio (5-6,3-4) vs. Akron (4-6,3-3)Date: Nov 07, 2007 Site: Akron, Ohio Stadium: The Rubber BowlAttendance: 12453 :rolleyes: yea right! I will say ESPN seemed to make an effort not to show the stands. Most of the shots were close ups on the sidelines and any shots of the fans were close ups of tightly packed groups. They kept the cameras pretty tight to the field.

What's with CJ7 playing 1st Q, and CJ11 playing the rest of the game? Not the rotation we've been seeing up to this point.
I thought the same thing. It was an interesting move by JD. I'm not sure if it was by design or the fact that he felt a change was needed. If by design, he was playing one one quarter and the other the second. He went with the hot hand in the second half and it worked out. I have to admit that CJ11 played much better than CJ7 last night.
Why was CJ7 taken out? You can't be serious. If Fumbles Mc Lollypop had stayed in that game for 15 more minutes I guarantee the final score would have been reversed. Thank God the plug got pulled before the damage was worse.

Anyone who watched the game on ESPN saw plenty of views of empty stadium. Even the center of the home side was quite empty towards the end of the game even with the Zips winning. It was nice seeing the light poles out of there and it would be nice if we just kept them out and played the rest of our home games in daylight. They did a nice little segment towards the end about the new stadium with pictures and emphasizing that it will put football back on campus which will create a new environment. They also did a little segment on the Nat'l Soap Box Derby track with video from their truck driving down the hill. They also showed the WMU runback with the French/Stams call and then showed them in their booth. They also went to St. V-M and showed Lebron's retired jersey but I was surprised they had no idea who Jerome Lane was...that was his jersey next to Lebron's, wasn't it? I thought ESPN did a good job, it's just too bad with the previous losses we wasted the opportunity for it to be a meaningful game on national TV.

Scoring Summary (Final)2007 University of Akron FootballOhio vs Akron (Nov 07, 2007 at Akron, Ohio)Ohio (5-6,3-4) vs. Akron (4-6,3-3)Date: Nov 07, 2007 Site: Akron, Ohio Stadium: The Rubber BowlAttendance: 12453 :rolleyes: yea right! I will say ESPN seemed to make an effort not to show the stands. Most of the shots were close ups on the sidelines and any shots of the fans were close ups of tightly packed groups. They kept the cameras pretty tight to the field.
Maybe 3-4,000 to start. Maybe. About 300 at the final whistle. Too bad no one could clear the stadium of the leaves for a nationally televised game. I thought it was kind of embarrassing for Akron. On the plus side, we had plenty of room to stretch out.

I thought the same thing. It was an interesting move by JD. I'm not sure if it was by design or the fact that he felt a change was needed. If by design, he was playing one one quarter and the other the second. He went with the hot hand in the second half and it worked out. I have to admit that CJ11 played much better than CJ7 last night.
Why was CJ7 taken out? You can't be serious. If Fumbles Mc Lollypop had stayed in that game for 15 more minutes I guarantee the final score would have been reversed. Thank God the plug got pulled before the damage was worse.
Easy Capt.....I understand he was under performing. I just thought it was an interesting move. JD normally doesn't move that quickly on something like that.I'm just curious if that was the plan or not.I agree that JD made the right move when he did.

crystal.jpg
But can he catch? We all know he has a bit of trouble holding on to the ball.
Beat me to the punch........He can't even catch the ball coming slowly from between the center's legs. I don't think CJ can be turned into a Nick Sparks. Sparks was one of the better "athletes" to play for Akron. Switching positions is not easy.

Maybe 3-4,000 to start. Maybe. About 300 at the final whistle. Too bad no one could clear the stadium of the leaves for a nationally televised game. I thought it was kind of embarrassing for Akron. On the plus side, we had plenty of room to stretch out.
The leaves ... I was sitting there thinking the same thing. Could have been done earlier in the day pretty easily. If you saw them and I saw them then our ESPN friends could see the small piles here and there as well. I understand not wanting to put any money into the Rubber Bowl but spending a few bucks to have someone tidy up the place as much as possible before company comes over shouldn't be too much to ask. You can't polish a turd but ...

Can I get a report on the door, or lack of door, in the home side bathroom stall for men?I plan on never stepping foot in the Rubber Bowl again in my life. However, this bathroom stall will be my most lasting memory of the Rubber Bowl. If anyone out there could do me a favor and take a picture of this stall (only if there is not door on it), and e-mail it to me, there will be a special place for that photo in my bonus room. Please make certain the bathroom is empty when you do this as I do not want anyone to go to jail for taking photos in a public restroom.

Easy Capt.....I understand he was under performing. I just thought it was an interesting move. JD normally doesn't move that quickly on something like that.I'm just curious if that was the plan or not.I agree that JD made the right move when he did.
CJ7 had way too many turnovers vs BG. Fumble...INT's. I think JD has seen enough of him at QB. He got yanked because of his track record as well as his initial couple minutes vs. OU.

Here is something we have not seen much of this year after halftime. The first three times OU had the ball after half, the following happened.First, three plays for seven yards resulting in a punt followed by an Akron TD.Second, three plays for two yards resulting in a punt and then an Akron INT.Third, 4 plays for one yard followed by an OU FG. Good job not allowing a TD after a turnover.Akron gave up some points later, but when they needed it, the defense came through and slowed OU. The defense gave the offense the ball in positons to make plays and win the game. I give this defense a lot of crap, butt in this case, I have say good job guys.

It was one of the more enjoyable games at the RB in the last three years. It was very cold but the lack of rain, or snow, made it tolerable. I thought the AKRowdies and Band were great last night. They were both noisy all night. I enjoyed the Rowdies storming the field after the game but it seemed they were cheering themselves at the fifty yard line and not the team. Anybody? The majority of the ou team made a b-line for the locker room after the game. I couldn't see where mr. cheap shot was after the game. The home side was fairly sparse. Many of them were the blue hairs some have trouble with when they don't jump up and down. The best part of the game was thinking about the long long long bus ride back to athens. The team was challenged late and were able to keep it together and earn the win. That was their beat third quarter of the season. Let's keep the momentum from this win and finish the year on a strong note. The urinal had a nice article in the paper and the records were correct, but they didn't reorder the team standings as far as record goes. :chair:

Enjoyed watching this game. The team looked good on the field and on the sidelines. The Old Rubber Bowl showed her age, but didn't look embarrassing. The ESPN team seemed to be freezing in the booth.A couple of observations: 1) Cecchetti is playing well with little recognition - unsung hero award 2) Big Nate, Sewell, and Lively are solid 3) Dixon and Pace are a liability in the secondary - they need to step it up against Miami if they play 4) Linebackers are a force 5) Can Kennedy step in at receiver? Brandon Williams and Patterson are not working out 6) We finally got the ball to Fuqua and our Tight Ends, which I think was a key to the game, besides Bryan Williams running (Allen's too) and return game. 7) O Line looked good 8) Igor is tuned in 9) QB - our guy looked better than Ohio's QB - step in the right direction Now if we could get one in Oxford. I still remember two games with 60 something to nothing scores at halftime down there during the 1990's. They ran it up on us and then many Miami players wouldn't shake hands with Akron after the games. I hope this 2007 Akron team hears a bit about those games before next week.

Can I get a report on the door, or lack of door, in the home side bathroom stall for men?I plan on never stepping foot in the Rubber Bowl again in my life. However, this bathroom stall will be my most lasting memory of the Rubber Bowl. If anyone out there could do me a favor and take a picture of this stall (only if there is not door on it), and e-mail it to me, there will be a special place for that photo in my bonus room. Please make certain the bathroom is empty when you do this as I do not want anyone to go to jail for taking photos in a public restroom.
No doors. Won't be at the final game so I can't take a pic for you. But if it's like last night, someone should have no problem getting a pick with no one in there. I went in a couple of times and was the only one in there. Hot as hell in there, too. Kind of like a sauna.With that small of a crowd, the bowl REALLY shows its age.

No doors. Won't be at the final game so I can't take a pic for you. But if it's like last night, someone should have no problem getting a pick with no one in there. I went in a couple of times and was the only one in there. Hot as hell in there, too. Kind of like a sauna.With that small of a crowd, the bowl REALLY shows its age.
Actual photo from last night. No joke here.bowl.jpg

Dr Z, are you sure thats the Rubber Bowl? Looks like Springfield HS to me! :mad_flame:

Dr Z, are you sure thats the Rubber Bowl? Looks like Springfield HS to me! :mad_flame:
Looks like K.E.N.T. to me!!! :laugh_up:

Looks like K.E.N.T. to me!!! :laugh_up:
whoever took that picture JUST missed me...

the one thing i give jd big props for is we have a real fg kicker this year.to bad we did not have him last year.we may not have went 5-7.how many times last year did jd go for it on fourth down because we had not fg kicker but were in decent fg range.i think the fg kicking is a huge part of the offense espcially if you dont have a power running game to get the short yards on fourth down.