9100 Attendance

a-zip

I think we need to be realistic.

Realistically, none of those teams are so good that we can't beat them.

If we expect ourselves to be "able" to give Marshall and Pitt (even Penn State) a run for their money, why shouldn't we equally expect that we can beat them?

If we're ever going to get out of the "mentality of losing" we need to start thinking that winning IS possible. It IS possible that we can beat these three teams. It will be difficult. It isn't likely. But it IS realistic and it IS possible.

What I was saying is that if we beat all three of those teams, are 4-0. It will do a lot with attendance issue. It will do more than being 1-3, 2-2, that's for darn sure.

I'm not worried about the attendance. Right now, we have a great time without the lines. Enjoy it, because the fair weather fans are about to jump on the bandwagon. The only good think about a packed stadium is you get to hear a very rare sound - the voice of an Akron crowd.

Opportunity #2: Compete well over the remainder of the OOC schedule, and follow that up by making a legit run at the MAC title game. If we have a chance to win a title in November, InfoCision will exceed 50% "full" for our final home games.

There will not be 15,000 in the stands for those two Tuesday night games in November just because we are in contention in the MAC.

In November, ask any person in Akron (including our own students) who is not a diehard Zips fan if they know the current standings in the MAC. I assure you, there will not even be 15,000 who can answer that question.

We've won 7 games in the last 3 years. We played Howard. Rack up some wins, there'll be nice crowds. NEO loves football, they'll come. Comparing to MBB is apples to oranges. They win in a dump, we lose in a palace. If the FB team starts winning MAC championships, then we can compare attendance.

• Like 1

I just don't get you people in NE Ohio. This school has done everything to provide a great game day experience. We have the "First Family" of college football, an amazing staff, new uniforms, a 4 game winning streak, a beautiful stadium, beautiful campus, amazing weather.

I came up from Washington DC with some friends (Howard grads) to show off my school and former team…….I was embarrassed……getting my balls busted the whole ride home (even though we kicked the sh*&t out of them on the field). I have no explanation for them….I guess the excuse of the day is now that it was a Thursday game. LOL

I was stunned that at least 18K didn't show up just to gawk at the new uniforms.

1) Their last winning season was nine years ago.

2) They were playing an FCS opponent

3) It was a weeknight (this absolutely matters for people with kids)

4) Marketing was minimal. Social media is nice, but they should work on some promotions. I've heard some jokes about bobbleheads, but guess what - giveaways work. Not even necessarily bobbleheads - even smaller (yet creative) items work. The basketball program has done better with this (Championship ring, Dambrot/LeBron bobbles, etc). The football program needs to step it up.

Hypothetical numbers:

Say there were 30,000 tickets "sold" for the Acme Zip game, at $2.00 each.

And 9100 tickets sold for the InfoCision opener at $15.00 each.

Which is better?

Depending on concession sales and merch sales and future fans it would draw, the actual 1 day ticket revenue isn't relevant imo

I went to my first Acme Zip at age 7 and it made me a lifetime fan way before I went to UA.

Also, you could probably charge a bit more than $2.

Hypothetical numbers:

Say there were 30,000 tickets "sold" for the Acme Zip game, at $2.00 each.

And 9100 tickets sold for the InfoCision opener at $15.00 each.

Which is better?

Exactly.

The Acme Zip game was a nice community event when the team was playing at the D2 and IAA level. It was the entire focus of the market and ticket sales people.

The focus needs to be selling season tickets because it guarantees money for each game. The Acme Zip game guaranteed one OK ticket day with a lot of nothing after that day.

If we want to call ourselves a D1A program, we have to act like a D1A program. The Acme Zip game was small thinking.

Also, it's been a long time now since the Acme Zip game. Much about college football has changed. Most importantly, the amount of college football fans have access to is much greater. There is no guarantee that if they offered even $5 tickets to a game, people would feel compelled to go to a game when they could stay home and watch something else. I don't think they would fill the stadium if the tickets were free.

Depending on concession sales and merch sales and future fans it would draw, the actual 1 day ticket revenue isn't relevant imo

People that buy cheapie tickets usually sneak their own hot dogs, beer and popcorn into games underneath their jackets. And they still wear "moving A" logo apparel. They aren't spending much on stadium concessions or Pohl jerseys.

Compete for titles. Win games. That will pack the stands. Filling a 30k stadium should be a joke if the team's any good, and the gameday experience is fun. And games aren't on Tuesdays.

Compete for titles. Win games. That will pack the stands. Filling a 30k stadium should be a joke if the team's any good, and the gameday experience is fun. And games aren't on Tuesdays.

I'd say they have to win and be entertaining while doing it. The Toledo game from last fall was a great example of that.

You just hit the nail on the head about Tuesday games. A fan should have fun going to a game. Leaving work early on a Tuesday to go tailgate for an 8 PM game isn't fun...it's more of an extension of work. Worrying about if you packed enough warm clothes in the car prior to leaving for work at 7AM on game day is not fun...especially for November games. Having to worry about how much you drink because you have to go to work on Wednesday isn't fun....it's a downer. Having anxiety about how tired you are going to be on Wednesday at work because you didn't get to bed until 12:30 AM after an 8 PM games isn't fun.

Weeknight games create an anxiety for those who want to go to the game that should not exist on a college football game day. This issue is one that makes me extremely sad because I know how horrible these games are for the league and more importantly, the fans of those schools who are dedicated and actually care. I just don't understand why the people who run MAClike schools/leagues are so Hell bent on destroying the teams and schools they are charged with helping to be successful. We have met the enemy and we are us.

Tuesday night games with ESPN coverage, or Saturday afternoon games (at the same time that OSU, Alabama (etc...) play) with no ESPN coverage.

This is the reality of the situation folks. People won't come to Akron games on a saturday afternoon. They won't come on a Tuesday evening either. When will they come?

Stop worrying about the Tuesday games. Until we're good enough to fill the stadium on a Saturday afternoon (with other big games going on that people could be watching) we have no business complaining about it. We need to stop bellyaching over Tuesday night games. If we're good enough to fill our stands, than we're good enough to start demanding National attention. We're not there yet, so make the best with these lemons.

Toledo Game was on a Weekday game, and it was the 2nd most exciting Zips FB game I've ever been to. I didn't drink at that game either...still had the best time.

Winning will change EVERYTHING. Period. End of discussion. Everything else is background noise.

This is the reality of the situation folks. People won't come to Akron games on a saturday afternoon. They won't come on a Tuesday evening either. When will they come?

I'd like to think that as soon as we get winning, they will come to the games. Making the games at 8 PM on a Tuesday night won't help maximize what we could do. Certainly not Tuesday and Wednesday night. Friday, maybe.

Stop worrying about the Tuesday games. Until we're good enough to fill the stadium on a Saturday afternoon (with other big games going on that people could be watching) we have no business complaining about it. We need to stop bellyaching over Tuesday night games. If we're good enough to fill our stands, than we're good enough to start demanding National attention. We're not there yet, so make the best with these lemons. Actually, the Tuesday night games are the exact kind of thing that is killing the league and people should be complaining about. Season ticket holders should be up in arms about it. Just pretending that winning more games will make this horrible decision by the leadership of the schools and league somehow OK is not living in the world of reality. Long term, winning won't get us on TV on Saturday afternoon because there is not a network that will show our games nationally on Saturday afternoon. The year NIU went to a BCS game, they didn't have a single network Saturday game. Winning isn't going to change it because the "leadership" of the schools and conference have doomed us to this reality by signing contracts with ESPN for these horrible weeknight games. The enemy within is always the most dangerous. Our enemy is the combination of our ADs and the league Commissioner.

Toledo Game was on a Weekday game, and it was the 2nd most exciting Zips FB game I've ever been to. I didn't drink at that game either...still had the best time. Your stretching reality with the Toledo game. Yes, technically it was a week day game...the day after Thanksgiving, which is basically a weekend game because few people work that day.

Tuesday night games with ESPN coverage, or Saturday afternoon games (at the same time that OSU, Alabama (etc...) play) with no ESPN coverage.

Stop worrying about the Tuesday games. Until we're good enough to fill the stadium on a Saturday afternoon (with other big games going on that people could be watching) we have no business complaining about it. We need to stop bellyaching over Tuesday night games. If we're good enough to fill our stands, than we're good enough to start demanding National attention. We're not there yet, so make the best with these lemons.

Toledo Game was on a Weekday game, and it was the 2nd most exciting Zips FB game I've ever been to. I didn't drink at that game either...still had the best time.

Winning will change EVERYTHING. Period. End of discussion. Everything else is background noise.

You and a reported 12,505 other folks attended. I think the other guys are saying weekday games hurt attendance, not the excitement of the game (although I bet it would have been even more exciting played in front of a full house).