Game 23- Eastern Michigan

clarkwgriswold

In every successful season, a team needs to steal one or two that they didn't deserve to win.  That was definitely one for the Zips.

Just a few observations.   For EMU, who in God's name tries to milk the clock up two with 3 or 4 minutes left?  Also, with the players they have, there's no reason they should be that inept on offense.  That Groce kid is woefully underutilized.

As for the Zips, playing like that won't get you very far in Cleveland.  They're going to see more and more of LCJ getting pressured and being given no space to get off a shot. EMU also made an effort to exploit him on defense for a little today, but then stopped.  I think they'll see more of that.  The Zips did a very poor job of pushing the ball in transition today and getting points before they could set up the zone.  There are some very basic principles to combating that zone and the Zips rarely stuck with them today.   If they're not going to use Sayles, when the bigs are in foul or playing poorly, I don't understand why they don't just go small and push the tempo.  I don't think I've ever seen a guy who gets caught with his back to the basket in rebounding situations as often as Riak.

The refs could have called a foul on the final play.  They certainly called a bunch of touch fouls today.  I will give Banks credit for going straight up with both hands and refs will often swallow the whistle on plays like that at the end.  When Channel hit  the floor he immediately grabbed at his groin, but it looks like his back which has ailed him this season.  Hopefully, he's okay.  He was their leading scorer today in the first ten minutes today with 2 points!

After the game I went to the scorers table where they were replaying the block in slow motion several times and there was no foul.  Banks got 2 hands on the ball and just held onto the ball.  That is why he hit the floor so hard because he did not use his hands to break his fall.  It was a great defensive play!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, LoyalZIP said:

How the hell did they win that basketball game???? Still feels like a loss, and I stayed for the whole thing. On to BG.

That was awful.  When they were down by 6 with 50 seconds left or something, I wanted to leave but was blocked in on either side.

You could never predict that outcome.   First time a Zips team got lucky in a long time.

8 minutes ago, NWAkron said:

That was awful.  When they were down by 6 with 50 seconds left or something, I wanted to leave but was blocked in on either side.

You could never predict that outcome.   First time a Zips team got lucky in a long time.

Akron never wins that game. Never. Can't believe it. 

• Like 1