Jump to content

Game 5--Ohio U


LoyalZIP
 Share

Recommended Posts

Ugh, so annoying. Perhaps I should have listened to the radio before the game, but I literally didn't know who was starting this past game until Irons took the field. I was in my seats and saw Kato walk out with a brace, so I was sure he was playing since there was talks of Irons in concussion protocol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/3/2021 at 9:29 PM, GP1 said:

Because in just a few years, their main idea, maximizing freedom, is making college football from top to bottom the best it has ever been. The transfer portal is a total Libertarian idea and college football is more entertaining/competitive than it has been in my lifetime. NIL will prove to do the same thing. 

 

College football is more entertaining/competitive? It looks less competitive and less interesting in my view...(completely unrelated to the Transfer Portal). But that also might be the apathy derived from Akron Football.

I've never been impressed by Libertarian Ideology/Philosophy. It's mostly adolescent fantasy. Existentialism is infinitely more profound. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2021 at 8:31 PM, LZIp said:

Pretty defeated to be honest. Can't force myself to go to another game this year. Completely unacceptable how we couldn't stop the QB who couldn't throw the ball. They ran the same 2 plays over and over and over and we couldn't stop it. We may be stuck with Arth, but I want Feeney gone. I noticed on third and short he seems to take big guys out and put smaller ones it. Doesn't make much sense to me. We have a few players, but by and large, the entire unit is quite likely the worst in the nation.

 

I was watching gameday this morning and they were discussing Clemson's offense and how they're starting two freshman on the line as part of the excuse for offensive struggles. Trotting out 5 freshman OL (including a walk on in Robarge) to protect Irons might be borderline negligence. The shake up in the interior doesn't appear to be working. Can't believe we are down to a walk on freshman RB. Reminds me of year 1.

 

Side note: when walking up to buy tickets, I saw Dollard and I believe McCall wearing "Free #7" and "Free #99" shirts. Surprised (and maybe somewhat hopeful for the future?) they appear to be on campus still, even though they're clearly clowns for the shirts.

 

I was listening to the radio on the way home and they were talking about BG and mentioned how them bringing in 7 transfers on D is really helping them this year. The new NCAA rule will force Arth's hand whether he planned on it or not this year. In addition to the annual 25 counter, you can bring in an additional 7 from the transfer portal for each player of yours who entered the portal. So far we've lost Gavin Blunt and Bryce Peterson. Shouldn't be too hard to upgrade those schollies. Getting a lot older next year and the chance to bring in more P5 talent is the only thing that gives me a glimmer of hope for the future, as "Jimmy's and Joe's" is largely the issue in my eyes.

Everybody is young on both sides of the Ball.  I watched the OL and I would not talk down about walk-ons at any position.  Robarge is the real deal in my mind.  He is a beast out there knocking guys around like like rag dolls including his play at OSU.  Did he and the other OL guys make mistakes? Of course, but everyone of them are a redshirt freshman or true freshman and are playing against upperclassmen for the most part.  If we can keep this core group together, they will get better and more consistent and the same goes for the rest of the young players.  We have to remember that most of Bowden's players left when he did, leaving a very young team.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/2/2021 at 10:57 PM, NWAkron said:

I think the university is stabilizing other areas, but a big, bold decision by Guthrie here would do wonders for the fan base.  I'm with Hilltopper.  Pay off this bum.  It's a bad relationship and I hate just looking at Arth.  And I want the names of the search committee who chose Arth.  There needs to be a wall of infamy where their mug shots can be hung.  Maybe in the weight room.

I would not pay off Arth.  If we switch coaches again, do you really think its going to immediately get better?  A revolving door at HC does not help with anything especially recruiting.  I do not see where Arth made any real bad coaching decisions to tell you the truth.  It comes down to talent on the field and we are very young.  Teams that do well are predominately playing upperclassman and we just do not have those guys on the team....plain and simple.  I would let him coach out his contract and see if all these young bucks turn into anything in a couple of years.  If so, the program will start turning the corner and getting better.  If not, then you go out and find another coach at that time without having to pay off a legacy contract like we did with Bowden.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

I would not pay off Arth.  If we switch coaches again, do you really think its going to immediately get better?  A revolving door at HC does not help with anything especially recruiting.  I do not see where Arth made any real bad coaching decisions to tell you the truth.  It comes down to talent on the field and we are very young.  Teams that do well are predominately playing upperclassman and we just do not have those guys on the team....plain and simple.  I would let him coach out his contract and see if all these young bucks turn into anything in a couple of years.  If so, the program will start turning the corner and getting better.  If not, then you go out and find another coach at that time without having to pay off a legacy contract like we did with Bowden.....

 

Isn't acquiring competitive talent a responsibility of the coaching staff?  It's the third year for this staff without significant improvement in the talent level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, clarkwgriswold said:

 

Isn't acquiring competitive talent a responsibility of the coaching staff?  It's the third year for this staff without significant improvement in the talent level.

Sure and under normal circumstances you bring in your young talent and develop them behind your upperclassman which we do not have.  If you look at FBS D1 football, very few true freshman or even redshirt freshman play significant minutes but at Akron, we are throwing these young men to the wolves and you all expect them to compete.  It just does not work that way.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Zippyroo said:

Sure and under normal circumstances you bring in your young talent and develop them behind your upperclassman which we do not have.  If you look at FBS D1 football, very few true freshman or even redshirt freshman play significant minutes but at Akron, we are throwing these young men to the wolves and you all expect them to compete.  It just does not work that way.  

I get it Zippyroo and appreciate the conversation and I have been as patient as anyone on ZipsNation but I just don't see the level of recruits on the whole that will be competitive on the MAC level.  Also, even as youngsters, the team should have grown over three years.  Tomorrow, they'll be likely throttled by a team in a nearly similar situation three years ago that has made progress.  There's a junior college/agricultural school one county to the east that has made progress from an awful situation.  The Zips have not made that progress.  I hope to God tomorrow is a start but I'm really skeptical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

more of Solich's guys are retiring. 

 

Ohio: Defensive coordinator / safeties coach Ron Collins and co-defensive coordinator / defensive ends coach Pete Germano have announced that they will be retiring at the conclusion of the season. Collins and Germano have been at Ohio nearly 10 and 20 years, respectively. Both are tremendously respected coaches who undoubtedly will be missed my many.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...