Game 9—@ UMass

ZachTheZip

The Massachusetts Minutemen are currently 1-7 this season. This after being predicted to make the biggest turnaround in college football by several preseason magazines. The UMass program is in dire straights. At the end of the month, they will officially leave the MAC and become an Independent with no bowl contracts, no TV coverage for home games, and no hope of joining another conference. Attendance is bad, and it looks worse since they play in an NFL stadium 90 miles from campus.

This is a game Akron should win, even on the road. While Blake Frohnapfel is a good QB, he tends to lock on to his favorite WR, Tajae Sharpe. If the Zips keep him under wraps and pressure the QB, UMass' offense will stall. They're not very good on 3rd down conversions, and go for it on 4th several times per game. Defensively, UMass is awful. They give up 37ppg and can't stop the run or the pass. As a team, UMass is one of the most penalized teams in the country.

Let's give them the Marshall and UCF treatment and send them out of the MAC in style.

UMass looked fantastic against Toledo in the first half of that one, but got thumped in the second half. They also could only put up 10 on an awful Ball State defense. If not for a legitimate pro prospect in Frohnapfel, this would be the worst team in the FBS. Hell, they may already be that bad.

Anyway, THIS IS A MUST WIN. In the few hours following yesterday's game, I felt just like I did after the loss to Ohio--huge games that we needed for any hope at a MAC title. Hopefully that means the Zips can win big on the road following a home loss again. Also, a win would guarantee a record of at least 3-3 on the road for the season. Akron hasn't won that many times on the road in one season in a long, long time.

Look, if you want to throw personal attacks at our head coach, go post on the Can't State board, @Zipgrad01. Questioning decisions is one thing, but a low life personal attack is both uncalled for and undermines the whole concept of supporting the team. It's completely unacceptable.

He is a big boy basically stealing a half million dollars a year. He is laughing all the way to the bank. He doesn't need you being his personal defender.

Vegas turning a blind eye to progress. They are going to lose their ass on this blunder.

CK's "Wednesday Wager": If the Zips win Saturday vs. UMass, you wear Zippy's pink tutu in Lot 9 for the Buffalo game. If the Zips lose, I'll wear it.

Deal?

Edited by Captain Kangaroo

CK's "Wednesday Wager": If the Zips win Saturday vs. UMass, you wear Zippy's pink tutu in Lot 9 for the Buffalo game. If the Zips lose, I'll wear it.

Deal?

Not a chance. The Zips should win this game going away. Not exactly sure why you want to make a bet with me when I said Vegas made a blunder favoring the Minutemen. Who would put money on possibly the worst team in FBS and give points? Seems like a no-brainer bet the house on the Zips, but I don't gamble.

He is a big boy basically stealing a half million dollars a year. He is laughing all the way to the bank. He doesn't need you being his personal defender.

And comments like this help how? Recruits and their families do read these boards and it would be a shame for the comments of a lone low class commenter to get in the way.

Not a chance. The Zips should win this game going away. Not exactly sure why you want to make a bet with me when I said Vegas made a blunder favoring the Minutemen. Who would put money on possibly the worst team in FBS and give points? Seems like a no-brainer bet the house on the Zips, but I don't gamble.

My bad. It seemed like you were being sarcastic with your support of the odds. I must have misread the post.

The Great Tutu Tailgate gets derailed before it even began...what a shame.

And comments like this help how? Recruits and their families do read these boards and it would be a shame for the comments of a lone low class commenter to get in the way.

Really? Do you understand how nasty most boards would be if their team was performing like ours? Are you really that naive to think that one person cracking a couple jokes about our underachieving staff will somehow sway recruits to not come here? I would be more worried about recruits not coming here because we don't win football games. A staff with a w/l record of 14-30 doesn't exactly command respect in the living room of recruits. It does, however, mean that Bowden has made about $125,000 a win. Sorry if I find that a little excessive for a MAC school. Edited by Zipgrad01

Really? Do you understand how nasty most boards would be if their team was performing like ours? Are you really that naive to think that one person cracking a couple jokes about our underachieving staff will somehow sway recruits to not come here? I would be more worried about recruits not coming here because we don't win football games. A staff with a w/l record of 14-30 doesn't exactly command respect in the living room of recruits. It does, however, mean that Bowden has made about $125,000 a win. Sorry if I find that a little excessive for a MAC school.

Yeah, actually these are the types of things that weigh into those decisions.

Look.. what I don't get is why you want to stink up every thread with your own selfish Bowden rant. His value as a coach has been hashed and rehashed Grow up.

• Like 2

Yeah, actually these are the types of things that weigh into those decisions.

Look.. what I don't get is why you want to stink up every thread with your own selfish Bowden rant. His value as a coach has been hashed and rehashed Grow up.

Honestly, if the kid is that much of a sissy that he doesn't want to come here because of a message board poster then I don't want him on the team anyway.

The reason I do it is because I am scared shitless about the direct of the program. We aren't getting any better and the lack of talent is staggering for the upcoming classes. We have a new president that has shown that he will do almost anything to save a buck. Eventually, he is going to see that paying Terry Bowden $125,000 a win is money not well spent. Meanwhile, most people on this board have their heads shoved up their ass about what is really going on with this program. If you changed his name from Bowden to Ianello, people would be calling for his head already. However, all I hear are crickets, excuses and "hey, at least we almost wins". Sorry if that isn't good enough for me.

But, point taken.....I am done talking about it.

My bad. It seemed like you were being sarcastic with your support of the odds. I must have misread the post.

The Great Tutu Tailgate gets derailed before it even began...what a shame.

Someone needs to be sarcastic since Zipmeister isn't around anymore.

The reason I do it is because I am scared shitless about the direct of the program. We aren't getting any better and the lack of talent is staggering for the upcoming classes.

I don't want to stoke the fire but I am interested to understand the statement of the staggering lack of talent in the upcoming classes ........... How do you gauge that ? Some names like Lane,Wolfe, Woodson, Williams, Ritz, Erickson, Van Edwards, Cooper on Offense ................... Pittman, Marcus, Boxen, Scott, Guiser, Gilbert. Bell, Rachel, Hope on defense. This year's Freshmen and RS freshmen names may not stick out too much other than a couple but I;m not sure how to qualify the statement

I'm could be wrong, but these guys seem to be pretty talented and have contributed this year. Obviously some big senior losses on the defensive side and the O-line, but do you really think that the above names are a staggering decline in talent ? Maybe young and not much experience, but I'm not sure on the lack of talent

Edited by Jrship35