Dear Band Director

UAZip0510

Marching Band,It was a night and day difference this week at your performance. Congratulations! You put a lot of work this week into pregame and it showed. You definitely showed the energy expected from the band, and showed it well. You were easily 2-3x louder this week than the week before, and the marching looked great. I liked the subtle changes in run-on, as well as Phil's (the announcer) higher energy calls, and fewer announcements during the show.Halftime is what it is, great sound playing the music. Song selection wasn't my style, but I can appreciate a song played well. Didn't expect much marching since you only had one week to get it ready. Can't wait to see what the next show is, I'm looking forward to being on the field with you guys in the alumni band.Keep up the good work!
Thanks! The subtle changes you noticed were 6 to 5 instead of 8 to 5 step size during run on and a new arrangement of Rock and Roll #2 where everyone is playing the whole time instead of just the low brass. Halftime we added some more park and bark sections and a ton of horn to the box moves. I think the biggest difference between the Info and the RB is simply that when there are people sitting in the seats the sound gets absorbed into peoples bodies rather than bouncing around off the stands. When we rehearse in there with the stadium empty it is LOUD. Unfortunately the reason it seemed 2-3x louder may be because there were 10k less people there this week...
Much improved!And yes, I have to take back what I said last week about the band not playing loud enough. When the stands are empty, the band's sound does carry more. We heard your practice this past Sat 3 hrs before the game. You were much louder sounding than when you played at halftime. Also, kudos for having movement in your formations. When you take a sound and rotate it around, everybody can hear it. When you face the richy-rich ticket holders only, we in GA cannot hear you.Thanks, and keep up the great sounds!

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont know if those were the only HS bands that you guys could get to come but besides Green HS, those were some poor selections.Seeing most of the 2 bands on the right side of the field not playing or pretending to play was quite sad. Just a recommendation to whoever invites the bands: Try inviting Wadsworth, Dover, etc... There are bands out there who are actually not too bad for being high school.

ldies and gentlemen I have found the answer to all our marching bands problems. just watch the video and see how we should go about half timehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiZjsrwQ6vw
I hope to god you dont want to put ALL of our MB in those outfits.
lolYou might see half time attendance change if we subbed in that band!I would LMAO if Karriker arranged that song for a half time!

• 2 years later...

Anyone think our band will ever get 390,000 hits on YouTube? This video is going viral and we continue to play music that just doesn't keep anyone in their seat a halftime. I love Galen, but someone has to convince him they need to make changes. Or maybe our band isn't talented enough?

Anyone think our band will ever get 390,000 hits on YouTube? This video is going viral and we continue to play music that just doesn't keep anyone in their seat a halftime.

I don't see all that many fans in their stands @ halftime?

Poor Flag Line play. Hopefully the Flagger second-from-far-right was a sub?

@Zipswatcher....I get it you don't understand but can you at least acknowledge that you may not like the music, but it liked by the masses as evidence by the 390K hits on You Tube? You don't have get it....you may never get it thats fine, but our band probably doesn't generate 50 hits from their snooze athons.

@Cap'n there seem to be more people in the stands there then there are at the actual game at Akron.

@Zipswatcher....I get it you don't understand but can you at least acknowledge that you may not like the music, but it liked by the masses as evidence by the 390K hits on You Tube? You don't have get it....you may never get it thats fine, but our band probably doesn't generate 50 hits from their snooze athons.

@Cap'n there seem to be more people in the stands there then there are at the actual game at Akron.

The music's fine. Let me clarify. I see HS bands on Friday nights do stuff like this at least 2 or 3 times a season. Why is a college band standing still playing a song and then doing some jumping jacks in place that awesome? 20 years ago, my friends & I were in HS doing this type of thing on the muddy fields of the old Metro Conference. This clip just doesn't show me anything out of the ordinary.

The music's fine. Let me clarify. I see HS bands on Friday nights do stuff like this at least 2 or 3 times a season. Why is a college band standing still playing a song and then doing some jumping jacks in place that awesome? 20 years ago, my friends & I were in HS doing this type of thing on the muddy fields of the old Metro Conference. This clip just doesn't show me anything out of the ordinary.

I also am disappointed by the performance of the one flag-line person. Perhaps #1 flagger had an ACL tear?

The student side is always packed at halftime for band performances in Athens. Saturday's game was played in very wet conditions, so the home side turnout is pretty decent, considering.

The dancing style has been the Marching 110's signature since 1967, so that predates any Metro Conference high schools.

This band really is outstanding - they were chosen to represent Ohio in the last Tournament of Roses Parade, even though OSU was playing in the Rose Bowl. Also the Macy's Parade multiple times and NY's Carnegie Hall 4-5 times. They raise a lot of money from alumni...many of whom never had anything but bad football to watch for two decades.

the #1 reason this video has so many hits is because its one of few, if not THE only, marching band renditions of a VERY popular song by a VERY popular artist group. If people search for "Party Roch Anthem", theyll see the videos for the actual song and then this...

the #1 reason this video has so many hits is because its one of few, if not THE only, marching band renditions of a VERY popular song by a VERY popular artist group. If people search for "Party Roch Anthem", theyll see the videos for the actual song and then this...

540,000 views in the past two days. I think there's another reason.

it's popular because it was embedded to ESPN's Page 2 Column. Every hit there counts as a view for the video.

If you click and watch the video, yes. Not if you simply land on the page. It is also featured on CNN Headline News. What all this means, who knows - but there's certainly a growing following for something one poster thinks he was doing regularly back in high school. (Or one of the things he was doing regularly back in high school.)

Who cares how it got popular....why doesn't our band do anything original or no original according to Zip Watcher. I would watch the band a lot more closely if they played something anything more entertaining. You know HBCU band have been stepping at half time and putting on a show forever, but it never gets old.

The band is great. I don't think theres anything that needs fixed in regards to our band. I would much prefer listening to some good music as to watching a dance routine. The flash mob thing is real trendy now a days. Think of it as an episode of Glee, using instruments instead of voice. All that stuff that OU's band is doing will fade away, just like every other fad. ;)

@Hilltopper didn't you read Zipswatcher's post....they've been doing this stuff since way before Glee. Apparently this is a sign that it is here to stay. :rolleyes:

You're right though....I do love the boring half time shows we get instead of something like this. :wave:

Very good performance by Ohio's band there....to say anything otherwise is just a flat out line of jealousy. That was a very good musical piece and it was entertaining.

I went to the OSU game, wasn't too impressed with their band but I did go to the Notre Dame/Pitt Game and Pitt had a very good opening performance. Good marching, good drums and entertaining. I want to be entertained as a spectator. That is something I can't say I feel Akron's band has done. Not that they have not done well, I enjoy the opening, halftime is ok but overall, I am have never left saying wow...Akron did a great job. I got that from Pitt's band in their opening as well as with that performance by Ohio.

I can understand some fans wanting to see a little more showmanship from the Zips band or wanting to hear some different music selections. But whatever they play is going to turn some people on and some people off. The important thing to me is that whatever they play each week they're playing well. I'm enjoying the halftime shows for the quality of the music.