Do we even play this week?

Hilltopper

Zips vs NIU  

37 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ever since the beginning of the season, when I thought we were actually going to be a pretty good team, I still looked at this 3-game road stretch as the barometer of our season. I had hoped it would be a period where, if we survived it, we'd be well on our way to accomplishing something to be proud of. Now, I see the last game of this 3-game stretch as possibly the final nail in the coffin.The only thing encouraging to me right now is seeing that Miami game NIU a game last week. If not for that, I would have possibly predicted a big-time blowout. But, maybe they aren't really that good, and it is MAC football, where anything can happen, right?NIU - 31Akron - 14

Ever since the beginning of the season, when I thought we were actually going to be a pretty good team, I still looked at this 3-game road stretch as the barometer of our season. I had hoped it would be a period where, if we survived it, we'd be well on our way to accomplishing something to be proud of. Now, I see the last game of this 3-game stretch as possibly the final nail in the coffin.The only thing encouraging to me right now is seeing that Miami game NIU a game last week. If not for that, I would have possibly predicted a big-time blowout. But, maybe they aren't really that good, and it is MAC football, where anything can happen, right?NIU - 31Akron - 14
On the surface, the Miami/NIU outcome would appear to provide some hope. But there are two important facts from that game that affected the outcome. First, NIU's starting QB Chandler Harnish was out for it (last time I heard, he may or may not play against the Zips). Second, it was Zac Dysert's first start at QB for Miami and he's looked very impressive so far.So if Harnish can't go against the Zips, we might have a chance at a big upset. If I were Fleming and company I'd do everything I could to make the QB (whoever it is) beat me. NIU's rushing attack is very strong. We'll need some turnovers to keep it within reach. In the end, I see a better than expected Zip performance, but still a loss nonetheless.Huskies 27Zips 21

Jus can't see anything being salvaged of this season and NIU is reasonably good this year. I wil give the Zips one thing and that is that I do not believe they have given in, I still see a fight in them. NIU 20, Zips 13 (missed XP not two field goals).

31-14 NIU. We net 25 yards on DeVoe's legs, who rushes for his first 100 yard game. The -75 comes from the other backs and PN16. NIU has one of the best rush defenses in the country.
That's why I am predicting a game somewhat like the Syracuse game. A couple of touchdowns on odd plays, and the rest of the game being bored to tears with our production.

31-14 NIU. We net 25 yards on DeVoe's legs, who rushes for his first 100 yard game. The -75 comes from the other backs and PN16. NIU has one of the best rush defenses in the country.
That's why I am predicting a game somewhat like the Syracuse game. A couple of touchdowns on odd plays, and the rest of the game being bored to tears with our production.
another HUGE rushing game for an akron opponent. probably over 200 yards rushing 3 tds. depending who is at QB for NIU we will give up 2-3 passing tds. 45-6 NIU wins. our scoring a kick return with missed xtra point. and 17 missed field goals inside the 30. akron 3-11 on field goals this season

On the surface, the Miami/NIU outcome would appear to provide some hope. But there are two important facts from that game that affected the outcome. First, NIU's starting QB Chandler Harnish was out for it (last time I heard, he may or may not play against the Zips). Second, it was Zac Dysert's first start at QB for Miami and he's looked very impressive so far.So if Harnish can't go against the Zips, we might have a chance at a big upset. If I were Fleming and company I'd do everything I could to make the QB (whoever it is) beat me. NIU's rushing attack is very strong. We'll need some turnovers to keep it within reach. In the end, I see a better than expected Zip performance, but still a loss nonetheless.Huskies 27Zips 21
According to Rivals.com Harnish is still out this weekNorthern Illinois backup QB DeMarcus Grady will start again this week, against Akron, in place of the injured Chandler Harnish (knee).Also somewhat interesting from the same article: Ball State's MiQuale Lewis ran for 301 yards and teammate Cory Sykes for 203 yards against Eastern Michigan last week. It marked the first time in FBS history that a team had a 300-yard rusher and a 200-yard rusher in the same game. We'd better be able to run on EMU!

After some exhaustive mind-numbing, keep me awake at night, analysis I predict (I mean guarantee) a Zips win. I know a lot of people have given up on this team, but I can only go with what my results tell me. Inside sources tell me that the team is really fired-up and ready to fight to prove that they CAN & WILL bring back some dignity to this season. Team confidence is runnning high going into tomorrow's game. And I've heard that Sewell will play and is just chompin' at the bit to Beat Some Asses. NIU can kiss my Roo ass, they will not have a succesful run game against us. My prediction is not wishfull thinking, just a well-thought analysis that only leads me to predict: ZIPS 31NIU 20The wealth is spread out as P. Nicely comes alive with an aerial bombardment normally only seen with Heisman candidates.4 Passing TD's (1/each to - J. Bruce, A. Jones, J. LaFrance, D. Miller)1 Rushing (25+yard run) - D. Torrence1 PATFACT, Not FictionGO ZIPS :rock:

A few weeks ago, many of us (CK and me among others) agreed that if the Zips were to get on a roll after the Patrick Nicely revelation, this would be the game that would likely provide the bump in the road. Oh what sweet, joyous irony would be showered upon Zipsnation if the maligned (even NPR for crying out loud) Zips were to pull off the shocker (not THAT kind, STZ and zippyrifle32) today in Dekalb. Come on Zips; go ahead and make fools out of "The Captain and Me" (Doobie Brothers, 1973). With apologies to Wimpy, I'll gladly accept an "I told you so" from Z.I.P. on Sunday, for a Zip victory today! Go Zips!!!As an aside, perhaps Illinois high school great Dale Martin has a big game in his return? On a related note, is Bain's UA career officially over? Come on dead horse, you can take another hit.

So if Harnish can't go against the Zips, we might have a chance at a big upset. If I were Fleming and company I'd do everything I could to make the QB (whoever it is) beat me. NIU's rushing attack is very strong.
That would require two things, a game plan and four defensive lineman in the game. Anybody giving odds?Keep your eye on our key defensive half time adjustments this week. :rolleyes: