Ticket sales for Syracuse

Zipgrad01

What happens if soccer loses a couple of games??

The bandwagon jumpers will lose interest and the die hard fans will remain as with any other sport.

I have to believe 20k+ will show up for the football game this weekend, or TW should take his talents (read lack thereof) to South Beach where a marketing department is no longer required.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You all can believe what you want, but I am actually a student on campus and people just aren't that pumped about football. I am not saying students aren't going to go, they will, but there isn't that feeling of excitement on campus like there was last year before the info opened. Students are talking about soccer because they like to win. Students talk about football and laugh about how much of a joke it is.

This is what you hear because you are a soccer fan. You obviously hang out with other soccer fans. Soccer fans probably make up 5% of the university. The soccer program could vanish tomorrow and 95% of the people on campus and NE Ohio for that matter couldn't care less. You and your soccer student friends talk about football being a joke because you are jealous of people not caring about your sport. 95 % of the public talks about how much a joke soccer is regardless of wins and losses. Harsh, but a fact.

You all can believe what you want, but I am actually a student on campus and people just aren't that pumped about football. I am not saying students aren't going to go, they will, but there isn't that feeling of excitement on campus like there was last year before the info opened. Students are talking about soccer because they like to win. Students talk about football and laugh about how much of a joke it is.

This is what you hear because you are a soccer fan. You obviously hang out with other soccer fans. Soccer fans probably make up 5% of the university. The soccer program could vanish tomorrow and 95% of the people on campus and NE Ohio for that matter couldn't care less. You and your soccer student friends talk about football being a joke because you are jealous of people not caring about your sport. 95 % of the public talks about how much a joke soccer is regardless of wins and losses. Harsh, but a fact.

And this is what you think because you're not on campus. More students showed up for a pre-season scrimmage against VCU than the entire amount of students, alumni, fans, and press that attended football's open scrimmage.

And this is what you think because you're not on campus. More students showed up for a pre-season scrimmage against VCU than the entire amount of students, alumni, fans, and press that attended football's open scrimmage.

More people show up for a D3 high school football game than the NCAA championship soccer game. I don't need to be on campus to know that. I do not find it surprising that students showed up for a soccer scrimmage against another school. I am also not surprised that they didnt go watch the football team practice against themselves. Who wants to watch practice?

More people show up for a D3 high school football game than the NCAA championship soccer game. I don't need to be on campus to know that. I do not find it surprising that students showed up for a soccer scrimmage against another school. I am also not surprised that they didnt go watch the football team practice against themselves. Who wants to watch practice?

Believe it or not, tt's true. You walk around the Union at lunch or anywhere on campus during class changes and ALL of the buzz on campus right now is about the soccer team. I'll be at the Syracuse game Saturday, and yeah, there will probably be more students there then at the soccer games. The difference is that 90% of students at football games are just there to be there because their friends told them it will be fun and they'll be gone by halftime. It's like greek night in the JAR. The students who go to the soccer games go and cheer and live and die with the team. Heck, they were turning students away from Lee Jackson at the gate last year because there wasn't enough room.

What is to be gained by continuing the pointless bickering between soccer and football. If you don't like soccer, don't go to the games. I hate golf, but I'm not on here saying we should get rid of the golf team or that it's irrelevant. Many people like golf even though I'd rather watch my lawn grow than watch or play golf. I hope the golf team has a great season, when it comes around. I won't be there to witness it, but I hope they are successful.

(Yes, I've made comments about the upcoming football season...I regret those; I wish our football team every success, and I'll be there for most of their home games. But, I'll probably go to BGSU to watch our soccer team play a MAC rival as opposed to watching our football team play G-W. My choice; not necessarily a choice others would make.)

Go Zips! (All Zips)

What is to be gained by continuing the pointless bickering between soccer and football. If you don't like soccer, don't go to the games. I hate golf, but I'm not on here saying we should get rid of the golf team or that it's irrelevant. Many people like golf even though I'd rather watch my lawn grow than watch or play golf. I hope the golf team has a great season, when it comes around. I won't be there to witness it, but I hope they are successful.

(Yes, I've made comments about the upcoming football season...I regret those; I wish our football team every success, and I'll be there for most of their home games. But, I'll probably go to BGSU to watch our soccer team play a MAC rival as opposed to watching our football team play G-W. My choice; not necessarily a choice others would make.)

Go Zips! (All Zips)

ME87, I am with you. The bickering needs to stop. I also regret that I made a snippy post toward you in the past. I totally understand your golf analogy and I feel the same way about golf as you do. However, I don't have a beef with golf fans. My beef with soccer fans is that it seems as if love for the sport is not enough. A lot of soccer fans feel the need to proselytize, promote their sport and marginalize mine.

College football is number one. It is not debatable. Men's Basketball is a distant second. Thing is, no fans of the basketball, baseball, track, volleyball, cross country, softball, swim, field hockey, rifle, or tennis teams make posts on the football board to promote their sport at the expense of football. I think that is part of the huge bias against soccer fans.

But let me say that I have a new found respect for you with your post and I hope you can understand my point of view a little bit as well.

Let's go zips!

Go Zips! (All Zips)

OK so you are a big fan of watching lawn grow. Well more people watch golf than watch lawn grow. I think we should get rid of watching lawn grow because it is irrelevant. Plus you could watch the lawn grow on the course the golfers are playing. I don't care what you say watching lawn growing will always lag golf in attendance. Go Zips

Sorry, I didn't mean to start a fight over soccer vs football. I was just trying to point out that I don't think they have done a very good job getting students excited about football as more students are excited about soccer (and for your information zipgrad01 I am a football fan).

I was pleased to see Coach Ianello come to the RHPB comedian tonight and try to encourage student support for Saturday.

I go to campus every day and most people dont even know about soccer games the day of games still. Football is a little better in that respect at least.

To be honest, i dont see the craziness about soccer on campus but i do enjoy going to watch the games. Now if it comes down to football vs soccer....well that's not even debatable. I'd rather watch an 0-12 football team than a 20-0 soccer team.

Go Zips! (All Zips)

ME87, I am with you. The bickering needs to stop. I also regret that I made a snippy post toward you in the past. I totally understand your golf analogy and I feel the same way about golf as you do. However, I don't have a beef with golf fans. My beef with soccer fans is that it seems as if love for the sport is not enough. A lot of soccer fans feel the need to proselytize, promote their sport and marginalize mine.

College football is number one. It is not debatable. Men's Basketball is a distant second. Thing is, no fans of the basketball, baseball, track, volleyball, cross country, softball, swim, field hockey, rifle, or tennis teams make posts on the football board to promote their sport at the expense of football. I think that is part of the huge bias against soccer fans.

But let me say that I have a new found respect for you with your post and I hope you can understand my point of view a little bit as well.

Let's go zips!

No problem Keener. My posts on the football board were in reaction to football fans posting negative items on the soccer board. You may not read the soccer thread, since you're not interested in it, and may not have realized how many negative posts were put there first. Actually, I take very little of these posts personally (unless personally attacked as I was in one post, not yours), but it bothers me that any of our student athletes might read negative posts on this board from people who are supposedly their greatest supporters.

BTW...I had a related discussion with George Van Horne...as he said, you can't talk about a sport to a donor who is interested in a different sport. You will quickly lose that donor's interest.

Go Zips!

I was pleased to see Coach Ianello come to the RHPB comedian tonight and try to encourage student support for Saturday.

That's good to hear. I think a lot of soccer's popularity with students is due to Coach Porter really getting the Rowdies involved and reiterating how important they and the other fans are to the soccer team. A huge part of the fun of soccer games is watching and hearing the Rowdies give grief to our opponents. The "March to the Match" and the team interaction with the Rowdies at the end of a game help make the students part of the game.

Go Zips! (All Zips)

Let's go zips!

No problem Keener. My posts on the football board were in reaction to football fans posting negative items on the soccer board. You may not read the soccer thread, since you're not interested in it, and may not have realized how many negative posts were put there first. Actually, I take very little of these posts personally (unless personally attacked as I was in one post, not yours), but it bothers me that any of our student athletes might read negative posts on this board from people who are supposedly their greatest supporters.

BTW...I had a related discussion with George Van Horne...as he said, you can't talk about a sport to a donor who is interested in a different sport. You will quickly lose that donor's interest.

Go Zips!

I don't want to talk about soccer anyway, so not another word from me. This is a football thread.

Back to ticket sales for Syracuse, I'll say attendance will be 17,500.

I really hope you're wrong about the attendance being under 20k. The game is "free" for students. We don't even have Cowlumbus State to compete with for attendance...their game is tomorrow (Thursday) night.

Hard to believe our ticket sales would be lacking, with the cancellation of the golf outing and booting long time fans from their parking spaces? Man... I thought that was a sure-fire way to get folks fired up about the new team and staff? I guess it just goes to show that Joe Akron will never support the Zips?

K.e.n.t. has their "90k" Program to drive attendance.

Temple has: This neat promo running.

I also think it is pretty insane to not be promoting "Still Great Seats Remain," or something similar. I think a lot of people are assuming the Syracuse game is a sell out. If fans think the game is sold out, the ain't showing up.

25k minimum for the Syracuse game. There is no alternative.

I also think it is pretty insane to not be promoting "Still Great Seats Remain," or something similar. I think a lot of people are assuming the Syracuse game is a sell out. If fans think the game is sold out, the ain't showing up.
Come on man, they come up with this 300 x 250 pixel ad they run on the sidebar at Ohio.com, what else do you want?

akcuse.jpg

iCoach is also doing his part (see end of video)

We could go the other way, and run this ad and try to get Akronites excited about Syracuse!?!?

Hard to believe our ticket sales would be lacking, with the cancellation of the golf outing and booting long time fans from their parking spaces? Man... I thought that was a sure-fire way to get folks fired up about the new team and staff? I guess it just goes to show that Joe Akron will never support the Zips?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting mixed signals from you Cap'n. Do you think we'll see 25k+ or are you saying that marketing/TW have failed miserably if we don't get 25k+?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm getting mixed signals from you Cap'n. Do you think we'll see 25k+ or are you saying that marketing/TW have failed miserably if we don't get 25k+?

I see 25k happening. Barring a crappy, cold, rainy day. You should be able to fall out of bed and get 20k for Syracuse @ home.

If we get 15k - 17k, someone really screwed up. We could get that for a crappy team at a Rubber Bowl opener.

I hope I'm wrong with the 15,000 number, and maybe that is a reflection of my general attitude this year, but I have seen NOTHING promoting the game this weekend. We managed just over 18K last year for Indiana the week after opening day, a day with LOTS of publicity and one of the most exciting Akron Football experiences in a long time. When I was in school, I remember Labor day as being the first weekend you go back home to meet up with your friends, especially your Freshman and Sophomore years. Of course, we won't have the OSU factor to deal with and that is something I didn't consider. We'll see. Regardless, I'll be in lot 34 around 12:00 for Season #2 at ICS.

I hope I'm wrong with the 15,000 number, and maybe that is a reflection of my general attitude this year, but I have seen NOTHING promoting the game this weekend. We managed just over 18K last year for Indiana the week after opening day, a day with LOTS of publicity and one of the most exciting Akron Football experiences in a long time. When I was in school, I remember Labor day as being the first weekend you go back home to meet up with your friends, especially your Freshman and Sophomore years. Of course, we won't have the OSU factor to deal with and that is something I didn't consider. We'll see. Regardless, I'll be in lot 34 around 12:00 for Season #2 at ICS.

Got to echo Rifle. Last year we had a perfect setup for the Indiana game i.e. weather, big ten opponent, promotion, the stadiumj was still new & a novalty, high hopes for the team, and an exciting start. We should have sold out. Instead 18,000. We have to build a tradition of winning and playing good, exciting football. Until then we can't expect too much.

This week attendance prediction: 18,000. It also should be a sell out, but until we start winning, it ain't gonna happen.