2012 Recruiting

• Replies 531
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is an excellent article by the Beacon's Marla Ridenour on Coach Bowden's efforts to right the wrongs of the previous staff with regards to recruiting Stark, Summit, Portage & Medina counties.

Thanks for posting this JZ84.

Probably nine months ago I was going to post something about how poorly viewed Coach I's staff was in recruiting. I took some good advice from Captain Kangaroo and didn't write it as it wouldn't have helped anything. I had it typed up and ready to go on a word document. Every word of it would have been true. Coach I was neither liked or disliked, which isn't a good position to be in. He had assistants recruiting Ohio who were complete oafs.

For example, one of the coaches was in a school in Ohio and a high school head coach asked how one of his players was doing and he told the coach, "He sucks". The truth is, kid is a back up player and not developing well. When asked the question, the answer is, "He is a good kid and is giving 100% on and off the field. We just don't have room for him on the field right now."

Coach B and his staff have a lot of work to do in the form of cleaning up a horrible mess Coach I and his staff left behind in high schools throughout Ohio. This article tells me they know that. I believe they are up to the task and will right the ship quickly.

Media savvy. Coach B used this article to let coaches throughout NE Ohio and all of Ohio know HE KNOWS there was a problem and they are going to do everything in their power to correct it. This guy is smart.

I wonder if anyone can tell us anything about these two Glenville HS players. (Sean Draper and Willie Henry) They are being talked about here in the islands, because they took their first visits to Manoa about six weeks ago. Appears they may be a package deal, and could go to a MAC school or Hawaii, if no offers from OSU/Pitt/Big Ten schools. Akron has offered both.

I wonder if anyone can tell us anything about these two Glenville HS players. (Sean Draper and Willie Henry) They are being talked about here in the islands, because they took their first visits to Manoa about six weeks ago. Appears they may be a package deal, and could go to a MAC school or Hawaii, if no offers from OSU/Pitt/Big Ten schools. Akron has offered both.

Why on earth would any athlete not want to play in/for Hawaii? I've wondered this for years. Shouldn't Hawaii be winning the national championship every year? If I could pick anywhere in the US to live (all expenses paid for 5 years) it would be Hawaii.

I know Draper visited Louisville this past weekend.

Why on earth would any athlete not want to play in/for Hawaii? I've wondered this for years. Shouldn't Hawaii be winning the national championship every year? If I could pick anywhere in the US to live (all expenses paid for 5 years) it would be Hawaii.

Because it's expensive. You are stuck there. And it's extremely difficult for family to watch you play (thousands of dollars out of pocket to attend a home game for east coast families). Plus you are talking about 17-18 yr olds making the choice with huge influence from hover parents.

Every mainlander I've talked to that has been to Hawai'i as a 'change of life' has wanted nothing more than to go home because they didn't realize the importance of freedom of movement until they were stuck on the islands.

The right kind of job changes that some, but for most people it's expensive and cramped.

Media savvy. Coach B used this article to let coaches throughout NE Ohio and all of Ohio know HE KNOWS there was a problem and they are going to do everything in their power to correct it. This guy is smart.

Taking away nothing from his career accomplishments on the sidelines, it is unreal what a "pro" Bowden is in Sales/Marketing. Looking at past UA hirings, there was NOTHING that even remotely compares to the absolute blitz of fantastic information we've witnessed over the past few weeks regarding the Program.

He's getting his message pushed to whomever will listen, and pounding on those who won't listen until they do so. In the past, the University waited for the ABJ or radio or TV to call them to provide media exposure. The media craves a good story...but they will not typically pursue UA for information. UA needs to feed it to them. Relentlessly.

Bowden's crew are absolute pros. And the results of their early efforts, on all fronts, really are impressive.

Taking away nothing from his career accomplishments on the sidelines, it is unreal what a "pro" Bowden is in Sales/Marketing.

Absolutely. In this article, he did what every sales person should do when they have a customer who has a problem (high school coaches are one of his customers). Run to the problem and address the problem with the customers. There aren't may BCS level coaches who could do what he is doing in terms of sending out messages to "customers". This is great fun to watch.

Hudson's OG Quaison Osbourne switches from YSU to Akron. Originally chose YSU when Ianello was still our coach.

We now have one verbal commitment each from Summit, Stark, Medina, and Portage counties. Just over a quarter of our recruits live within 30 minutes from UA.

Rivals Profile

He also had an offer from Testicle Tech

Taking away nothing from his career accomplishments on the sidelines, it is unreal what a "pro" Bowden is in Sales/Marketing. Looking at past UA hirings, there was NOTHING that even remotely compares to the absolute blitz of fantastic information we've witnessed over the past few weeks regarding the Program.

He's getting his message pushed to whomever will listen, and pounding on those who won't listen until they do so. In the past, the University waited for the ABJ or radio or TV to call them to provide media exposure. The media craves a good story...but they will not typically pursue UA for information. UA needs to feed it to them. Relentlessly.

Bowden's crew are absolute pros. And the results of their early efforts, on all fronts, really are impressive.

Too many programs overlooked the great experience/knowledge/relationships Coach Bowden gained while he was broadcasting for ABC, ESPN and Westwood One, writing for Yahoo, and doing motivational speaking across the country for the 10 years he was not coaching. Plus the fact, he learned from possibly the greatest "salesman" ever in college football - his father. Akron is going to be the beneficiary of all of this - and if things go the right way - he could take the Zips not only to a MAC Championship, but also to the next level and a National Championship. The Bowden's are very loyal - Bobby at FSU for 34 years even though he was offered many other jobs, Tommy staying at Clemson for 10 years, even when he knew he'd probably get fired if he didn't win the ACC Championship the following year (when he was offered the Arkansas job a few years ago), etc... I see Coach Bowden building his own legacy at Akron.

Too many programs overlooked the great experience/knowledge/relationships Coach Bowden gained while he was broadcasting for ABC, ESPN and Westwood One, writing for Yahoo, and doing motivational speaking across the country for the 10 years he was not coaching. Plus the fact, he learned from possibly the greatest "salesman" ever in college football - his father. Akron is going to be the beneficiary of all of this - and if things go the right way - he could take the Zips not only to a MAC Championship, but also to the next level and a National Championship. The Bowden's are very loyal - Bobby at FSU for 34 years even though he was offered many other jobs, Tommy staying at Clemson for 10 years, even when he knew he'd probably get fired if he didn't win the ACC Championship the following year (when he was offered the Arkansas job a few years ago), etc... I see Coach Bowden building his own legacy at Akron.

Good, because I think we could all use 15-20 years of excellent Zips football.

It is doable with the right person guiding the program. This is very much a what have you done for me lately kind of society. A few years of success, coupled with a big time name running the program makes anything possible here.

Hudson's OG Quaison Osbourne switches from YSU to Akron. Originally chose YSU when Ianello was still our coach.

We now have one verbal commitment each from Summit, Stark, Medina, and Portage counties. Just over a quarter of our recruits live within 30 minutes from UA.

A Hudson kid. All right. :) Eat that one eguins. ;)

So let me get this straight, with a supposed "recruiter" in iCoach we were losing out to the likes of a lower division in YSU? Pathetic.

I can't be more thrilled with the new hire though. Whereas iCoach did and said everything wrong, Coach Bowden has been the polar opposite thus far. Very exciting.

A zips coach picked up Ellet high school senior Aaron Males highlight video a couple of days ago. Are we showing intrest in snowball?

Isn't he a classic I-formation RB? I don't think he's very fast, either. Coach Bowden is not going to be running an I-formation offense, so I doubt they will be going after him.