Talking Tressel

bobbyake

First, I am 1000% behind the idea of getting the Vest. If there was ever a chance of Akron getting a truly great coach, this is the moment. He would draw an incredible amount of talent- player and coach-- and attention. The man has something to prove and what better scenario could there be for us.

But... I am really concerned about the 'show cause' thing. I was just reading on another board (Tressel rumor is being picked up on lots of other boards which demonstrates the potential buzz value of this) that a school might have to give up scholarships in return of hiring a coach with a show cause? We know Can't just waited it out.

Does anyone know how the show cause thing works? Does anyone have a view into UA's strategy here? [my quip before was that having JT coach at Akron is a little like sentencing him to hard labor given what iCoach has left behind]. Could that happen? If we hire JT before the NCAA imposes the sanction, what happens?

What I don't want to happen is to have Akron break the bank to get JT, make a big splash, and THEN have him banished leaving us looking like total dolts. Folks are already taking shots because we "fired the coach on the way to his mother's funeral". (Sorry, but he had to know it was happening...)

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Folks are already taking shots because we "fired the coach on the way to his mother's funeral". (Sorry, but he had to know it was happening...)

Absolutely. To think otherwise just betrays an unfamiliarity with UA's program.

And frankly, being officially relieved of his duties was probably a big relief for him.

UA has made iCoach a millionaire. Now he'll get a relatively easy gig as WR coach/recruiting coordinator at some BCS school that essentially sells itself to recruits.

Many folks have had rougher lots in life.

While I still think the odds are against Tressel becoming head football coach at UA, there's just enough undercurrent bubbling up here in Akron that someone in the Carolinas might be out of touch with to make me recommend not taking GP1's advice to the bank.

Tonight of all nights gives me an especially unique view of this situation.

More rumor, this one not as promising: someone posted on Ohio.com that Tressel (along with Dennison) is merely on the UA search committee and not actually a candidate himself.

I believe that was a "suggestion" by one of the posters, in the event that Tressel turns down the coaching job. Chances of either of those two men being involved with the search committee are slim and probably none.

More rumor, this one not as promising: someone posted on Ohio.com that Tressel (along with Dennison) is merely on the UA search committee and not actually a candidate himself.

An anonymous poster with no attributions? Let me know what you want to find someone saying, and I can find it somewhere on the internet. :)

Jim Dennison on the search committee? What are you smoking?

Do some research into his relationship with the University before

making such a remark. It is not creditable.

Oh, they are going to recommend that the University hire Paul Winters

to be the next head football coach. Right?

Some one has consumed too many Pop-Tarts today.

@ZipRoo, I'm having a little trouble deciding what odds I'd put on the possibility of Tressel becoming coach. I believe there's a chance, but I don't know how good the odds are. Do you have any insight? What would you be betting if you were in Vegas right now?

I haven't talked to my inside source, as things have happened so quickly, I don't know if he'd be up-to-speed yet on the search. However, based on everything I've read from multiple sources, my gut feeling is it's a better than 50/50 chance. Of course, we know where Butch Davis's gut feelings got him.

Who here would like to be UA's Mickey Monus? Any takers???

How dare you be such a negative poster!!!!

I always saw myself as more of a leader of rebels against corrupt law enforcement in a Third World country. Not a corrupt CEO involved with Tressel's YSU football program. I guess Buckzip can be our Mickey Monus.

http://news-herald.com/articles/2011/11/27...s/nh4794124.txt

After two straight 1-11 seasons at the University of Akron, Rob Ianello is out as the school's football coach.

Ianello's successor is anyone's guess, but rumors are surfacing that Akron is targeting Jim Tressel. The website www.FootballScoop.com reported the news on Tuesday.

Reportedly, Tressel was seen on the Akron campus this week, and he was a spectator at the Zips' men's basketball game on Saturday.

The Tressel-to-Akron rumor is also gaining steam on Facebook. A page called "We want Jim Tressel for Akron Zips football" was recently created.

Since resigning as OSU coach on Memorial Day amid an NCAA scandal, Tressel hasn't said much about returning to the college sidelines. His brother, Dick, currently OSU's running backs coach, said this season he believes his brother will coach again. There is one big stumbling block, however.

The NCAA has yet to rule on the OSU scandal, but it appears likely Tressel will be hit with a show-cause penalty, meaning the sanctions levied against the coach will follow him to his next coaching stop. If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA penalties, it must appear before the NCAA and "show cause" as to why it should not be penalized for hiring him.

The Tressel-Akron connection is interesting. Tressel earned his master's degree in education from the school in the 1970s and was a graduate assistant there, coaching the quarterbacks, receivers and running backs. The facilities at Akron are considered one of the Mid-American Conference's best. InfoCision Stadium is two years old and top-notch, but attendance for football games has been a problem.

That is understandable for a team that is 2-22 the last two seasons. Tressel would provide Akron's football program a big-time boost, but the trail of the NCAA scandal will be equally as big. We here at After The Tailgate give this the longest of long shots of it ever happening.

The NCAA has yet to rule on the OSU scandal, but it appears likely Tressel will be hit with a show-cause penalty, meaning the sanctions levied against the coach will follow him to his next coaching stop. If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA penalties, it must appear before the NCAA and "show cause" as to why it should not be penalized for hiring him.

Absorb the sanctions. What JT would bring to UA would outweigh most temporary sanctions.

The loss of a handful of scholarships? I'd guess the quality of recruits JT would attract would render that harmless on the MAC level.

The loss of bowl eligibility for a couple of years? Ha! We're a couple of years away from being able to get enough wins to qualify for a bowl anyhow.

Absorb the sanctions. What JT would bring to UA would outweigh most temporary sanctions.

The loss of a handful of scholarships? I'd guess the quality of recruits JT would attract would render that harmless on the MAC level.

The loss of bowl eligibility for a couple of years? Ha! We're a couple of years away from qualifying for a bowl anyhow.

But how could they ban Akron from bowl games and scholarships? That's punishing a school who has zero connection to the OSU problems. The Buckeyes never got any penalties of that magnitude did they? maybe scholarships but I didn't hear anything about a bowl ban.

Tressel isn't coming to Akron, but I think he's paid for it already. He lost his job, got a new job with the Colts and had to serve a suspension with them. Isn't that enough? Did the Colts get punished for hiring him? don't think so.

@ZipRoo, I'm having a little trouble deciding what odds I'd put on the possibility of Tressel becoming coach. I believe there's a chance, but I don't know how good the odds are. Do you have any insight? What would you be betting if you were in Vegas right now?

I haven't talked to my inside source, as things have happened so quickly, I don't know if he'd be up-to-speed yet on the search. However, based on everything I've read from multiple sources, my gut feeling is it's a better than 50/50 chance. Of course, we know where Butch Davis's gut feelings got him.

Don't wait too long to talk to your inside source. Some folks seem to believe things are moving along faster than others.

The loss of bowl eligibility for a couple of years? Ha! We're a couple of years away from qualifying for a bowl anyhow.

But how could they ban Akron from bowl games and scholarships? That's punishing a school who has zero connection to the OSU problems. The Buckeyes never got any penalties of that magnitude did they? maybe scholarships but I didn't hear anything about a bowl ban.

Tressel isn't coming to Akron, but I think he's paid for it already. He lost his job, got a new job with the Colts and had to serve a suspension with them. Isn't that enough? Did the Colts get punished for hiring him? don't think so.

The fact that sanctions would follow him is very much in our favor. It means a successful program with bowl chances probably would not want him right now. WE have absolutely nothing to lose. What could be worse than 1-11? 0-12? I can get you that for lets say $100k per year and housing. Anyone with a clue can do better.

Who here would like to be UA's Mickey Monus? Any takers???

How dare you be such a negative poster!!!!

I always saw myself as more of a leader of rebels against corrupt law enforcement in a Third World country. Not a corrupt CEO involved with Tressel's YSU football program. I guess Buckzip can be our Mickey Monus.

Hmmm, I will take that role since the board Green Eyed Monster is already taken.

Cmon folks, - Tressell means FILLED STADIUM, alumni excitement, better recruits, stability....CUT THE CHECK - just hiring him would get us so much pubilicity (like Faust). What is he going to do.......aspire to be the head coach at OSU? This is perfect. With our BBall rocking, national defending national champs in soccer,we would be a lock for the Big East.

The Big East talk is making me extremely nervous. The conference is on life support right now with SU, Pitt and WVU heading for greener pastures. If any of the remaining football schools had another conference to go to they would bolt in a New York Minute. The Big East is considered a joke among fans of teams in other BCS conferences, since almost every year they send an undeserving team to get blown out in their big bowl game. Their AQ status is seen as illegitimate by many. I am not comfortable with Akron looking at the Big East as a goal, since its stability is precarious at best.