Talking Tressel

bobbyake

Its one thing to offer a guy like Tressel a job. Its another thing for it to realistically have a chance of happening. They could offer a number of successful head coaches who are now out of work. Shoot Dennis Erickson won a national championship at Miami. I think he is now lost in the desert. I would think that most people would love to have a guy like Tressel IF he can actually get on the field. But if the possible sanctions are not going to allow him to actually coach move on.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My inside sources say Tressel is 0% likely to come to Akron. And these people know the Watson/Tressel family very well. If we're putting all our faith in getting Tressel, we're going to be extremely disappointed.

Your first post since February is a downer ;)

I have no sources, but I agree many people have tended to embrace a scenario that seems terribly unlikely.

We are all relieved to have a terrible episode behind us. Let's be prepared to embrace a realistic future that probably does not have Jim Tressel in it.

Hey, I'd love JT, but I just want to get the best guy we can and get this program moving forward. Man, I hope I'm worng, but Tressel seems such a stretch for UA.

things just got interesting from twitter,

FSOhioZJackson Zac Jackson

University of Akron official tells me rumors that Jim Tressel was on campus/at Akron basketball game Saturday are "absolutely untrue"

The rumor about Tressel being on campus is 100% true, which I find interesting that he is reporting otherwise.

Hopefully we find out everything tomorrow.

University of Akron official tells me rumors that Jim Tressel was on campus/at Akron basketball game Saturday are "absolutely untrue"

The rumor about Tressel being on campus is 100% true, which I find interesting that he is reporting otherwise.

Or this could be a planned leak of misinformation to deflect attention and save face if JT has declined. In that case, maybe what we hear tomorrow will be nothing. As if nothing ever happened with Tressel.

Or this could be a planned leak of misinformation to deflect attention and save face if JT has declined. In that case, maybe what we hear tomorrow will be nothing. As if nothing ever happened with Tressel.

you could be right, but some of the information was already leaked, just kept secret by those that were told. Waiting for tomorrow night.

"University of Akron official" is so vague, and Jackson isn't very connected. Hard telling. We'll know the truth soon I guess, one way or another.

Somebody keeps trying to tell me that an interview is scheduled for Wednesday. Can't get any verification on it, though.

You mean a press conference?

I mean a job interview.

Ahh, interesting. So they are lining up interviews. Probably not a good sign concerning Tressel coming here.

Somebody keeps trying to tell me that an interview is scheduled for Wednesday. Can't get any verification on it, though.

You mean a press conference?

I mean a job interview.

Ahh, interesting. So they are lining up interviews. Probably not a good sign concerning Tressel coming here.

I mean that Jim Tressel is interviewing for the job on Wednesday. Allegedly.

Technically is was in the JAR BEFORE the game...not AT the game. :wave:

"People who spread rumors are like walking infections. The lying words from their mouths spread like disease from person to person. The only way to stop the disease is to keep your mouth shut."

JOYCE HANSEN, One True Friend

ZNO must be a petri dish 'cause the infection is growing quickly!

Technically is was in the JAR BEFORE the game...not AT the game. :wave:

EXACTLY.

Facebook Note from ESPN intern

I talked to a source and here is what im hearing as far as the Akron Head Coaching Job

People Who have been Contacted

Toledo OC- MAtt Campbell

Former OSU HC- Jim Tressell (used to be GA here got masters from here)

Other Candiates

Iowa St HC Paul Rhodes (wont happen)

Iowa St OC Tom Herman

Wayne St (D II) HC Paul Winters (former player here under Lee Owens)

Was a candidate

OSU Interm HC- Luke Fickell (fianlist when Ianello got job, lost out on final interview)

Just thought i'd share.

Akron will not hire Jim Tressel as its head coach. Not that they would not want to hire him or that we would not accept the job(which he might). The reason is that Jim Tressel is going to be hit with a "show cause" penalty by the NCAA. The same penalty that Bruce Pearl was hit with. Basically this penalty makes the coach toxic for however long the NCAA decided the length of the penalty will be. Bruce Pearl, for example, got hit with 3 years. This means that if a school would like to hire that coach, they would have to have a hearing before the NCAA explaining why they would want to hire a coach who is currently under penalty by the NCAA. The point of the "show-cause" penalty is to punish coaches who broke NCAA rules and dissuade other schools from hiring them during this time period. If a school knows all of this and STILL wants to hire that coach, they would have to have a pretty convincing argument to the NCAA why that particular coach is the ONLY coach that the institution could possible hire. That being said, the NCAA can't prevent a school for hiring anyone. However, they can hit the school with the same penalties that they levied against a coach who broke rules at a different school. If Tressel could just leave OSU and face no further punishment, don't you think his name would be coming up for some of the more high profile jobs? A coach with 1 NC and 2 other NC Game appearances, 7 straight Big Ten titles, and and average of 10 wins per season would have his pick of choice jobs. Its not like Bruce Pearl just decided that he didn't want to coach anymore. After 3 years passes and his punishment is lifted, he will be right back on the sidelines coaching someone.

Martin Center is great place for banquets.

We're going to be hearing either good or bad news tomorrow. I'm thinking 70% chance it's good, 30% chance it's bad. Before the @FSOhioZJackson tweet, I was at 90% good. Wonder who his 'official' is because it's far off. He's been a naysayer of the Akron-Tressel from the beginning though so he could be biased, looking for the right source to deny?

While we wait with anticipation, have fun and enjoy https://twitter.com/#!/search/akron%20tressel

My source's info just went out with the news I just heard a little bit ago...he's normally right, but this time he got thrown a curve ball from where he gets his...

So my theory about the "Mystery person", is out...that should give it away who it was rumored to be...