Talking Tressel

bobbyake

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To elaborate on the post I posted on here about 10 minutes ago(last post on page 10), I really think it could be a possibility. Just so everyone doesn't have to go back to it, one of my sources said this:

"If Tressel comes to Akron, _____ ______ will be coming to Akron as part of his staff as well."

He asked me to leave the name out, so I'm not going to say it now. However, it is one of the candidates that have been mentioned already. So we have Tressel for a year or two just for publicity, and he may not coach much during that stretch because of the "show-cause". In case of Tressel hiring, sales go up, tickets go up, and everything else goes up for the football program in numbers and revenue. Tressel leaves after a couple years, and this person on his staff takes over. When this person takes over, people will forget his name from recent endeavors, and the program will be in decent shape when he takes over as in recruiting and running the program.

This is how I took it from my source. Hopefully, this is not the way my source was hoping I would interpret it without them telling me. I guess only time will tell...

Ok, I can't help but bite. This does make some sense. If Tressel comes back he will have to face some sort of punishment (making him less attractive to some bigger schools. Lets say he signs on to Akron for 2 years and brings this mystery person with him. He gets his suspension out of the way here, helps build the program and teach Mr. Mystery the ropes for those 2 years and then is all of a sudden more attractive to bigger programs since his suspension is over. We get better attendance, recruits and our ship straightened and he gets his slate cleaned. Sounds like a win win if true. BUT!!! this is all speculation from a guy sitting behind his lap top trying to put the puzzle together.

Who's the enormous guy front and center. I see him at every football/soccer/basketball game I attend. Obviously a loyal dude.

(I'm sure you are too - he just really stands out in a crowd!)

I think you're talking about Ian Tayek. I think he was the president of the Rowdies last year.

Thanks. :wave: He's good!

Guys, just in case Tressel hasn't gotten the Kiss of Death from the NCAA, this should be the final nail in his coffin. Courtesy of David Lee. With friends like that...:D

The final nail in his coffin? the story seems to be positive. It actually looks encouraging and something to help his case getting a coaching job again.

The football players have a team meeting scheduled later today. During that time, they will be informed who their next head coach will be.

They had their meeting...according to several players on the team, it was a run of the mill meeting discussing things going forward for the team. Nothing specific was mentioned in terms of who we are targeting for head coach.

"We had a meeting and we weren't told anything other than 'coaches are being evaluated'" -- Clayton Moore

Who is able to enter Tommy Evans Lounge? There are two things that make me raise an eyebrow:

How did Tressel make it in and out of the JAR while also hanging out in Tommy Evans Lounge without anyone here physically seeing him? And how did he do the same without any media types seeing him an making note?

I PERSONALLY saw Jim Tressel at the JAR Saturday night. Sorry for not posting this sooner but I was out of town until 6 am this morning.

I showed up to the game fairly early and walked around the arena after entering. I noticed a group of people around the exit of the TEL (SE corner of the JAR) and noticed a man that looked a lot like Tressel. I joked that Tressel was in attendance to my girlfriend, who made fun of me and said i was crazy. Upon closer look, it seemed to be him. He was wearing a grey suit with a blue tie that had some sort of design on it. I took a long range picture (that shows nothing, don't worry) and then approached to get a better one but he was gone. I assume he went into the TEL or down the stairs.

I can understand why people are skeptical but this "rumor" is VERY true.

The football players have a team meeting scheduled later today. During that time, they will be informed who their next head coach will be.

They had their meeting...according to several players on the team, it was a run of the mill meeting discussing things going forward for the team. Nothing specific was mentioned in terms of who we are targeting for head coach.

"We had a meeting and we weren't told anything other than 'coaches are being evaluated'" -- Clayton Moore

Owned.

Guys, just in case Tressel hasn't gotten the Kiss of Death from the NCAA, this should be the final nail in his coffin. Courtesy of David Lee. With friends like that...:D

The final nail in his coffin? the story seems to be positive. It actually looks encouraging and something to help his case getting a coaching job again.

Yeah, I don't get what you were going for here Z.I.P. Were you being sarcastic?

Yeah, I don't get what you were going for here Z.I.P. Were you being sarcastic?

Perhaps the punishment is to be named Head Coach at Akron.

There are Tressel posts in about 4-5 different threads right now. Figured it would be easier on everyone if we dedicated a thread for the Tressel discussion.

Here's what we know so far: Footballscoop, the same source that first reported Ianello's hiring and firing, is reporting that Akron is going after Tressel.

"Akron: The same source that confirmed to us the Akron news on Tuesday has told us that Akron officials are targeting Jim Tressel. For what it's worth, Akron's facilities are considered "the best in the MAC"."

What would be the financial benefit of hiring Tressel? I believe Akron would sell a lot of tickets just because people would be interested to see how Tressel does with the program. I'm talking about an average of 21,000 plus.

I only believe Akron averaged around 4,000 people per game in 2011. If 21,000 is a possible per game average with Tressel, and the average revenue per person is $16, we're looking at an increase in revenue of $1,632,000 per year. I think my numbers are too conservative, we honestly could be looking at more than $3million factoring in merchandise, luxury tickets, etc.. etc..

The possibilities Tressel brings to the program tells me he's well worth the cost to acquire him. If he could turn this program around and make Akron a consistent winner, this program will be heading to a bigger conference (Big East or ACC?). There's at least $1million a year to be gained from being in a bigger conference.

But I don't think I need to convince anyone here the value of bringing in Tressel, the rumors are saying that Akron is already going after him.

It's basically Tressel's job if he wants it.

I didn't mention the impact this could have on enrollment.

If Akron were to hire Jim Tressel, you could assume that it would cause an enrollment increase as high school students will see Akron as a big deal. You could also assume that this would cause an enrollment decrease for K SUcks as high school students would prefer Akron.

There are Tressel posts in about 4-5 different threads right now. Figured it would be easier on everyone if we dedicated a thread for the Tressel discussion.

Here's what we know so far: Footballscoop, the same source that first reported Ianello's hiring and firing, is reporting that Akron is going after Tressel.

"Akron: The same source that confirmed to us the Akron news on Tuesday has told us that Akron officials are targeting Jim Tressel. For what it's worth, Akron's facilities are considered "the best in the MAC"."

What would be the financial benefit of hiring Tressel? I believe Akron would sell a lot of tickets just because people would be interested to see how Tressel does with the program. I'm talking about an average of 21,000 plus.

I only believe Akron averaged around 4,000 people per game in 2011. If 21,000 is a possible per game average with Tressel, and the average revenue per person is $16, we're looking at an increase in revenue of $1,632,000 per year. I think my numbers are too conservative, we honestly could be looking at more than $3million factoring in merchandise, luxury tickets, etc.. etc..

The possibilities Tressel brings to the program tells me he's well worth the cost to acquire him. If he could turn this program around and make Akron a consistent winner, this program will be heading to a bigger conference (Big East or ACC?). There's at least $1million a year to be gained from being in a bigger conference.

But I don't think I need to convince anyone here the value of bringing in Tressel, the rumors are saying that Akron is already going after him.

It's basically Tressel's job if he wants it.

I didn't mention the impact this could have on enrollment.

If Akron were to hire Jim Tressel, you could assume that it would cause an enrollment increase as high school students will see Akron as a big deal. You could also assume that this would cause an enrollment decrease for K SUcks as high school students would prefer Akron.

HS students already prefer Akron...some are just unlucky enough to have to go to Can't State instead.

Notice something similar to Tressel? btw, the anticipation is killing me, staying patient though

MG2892-L.jpg

We're really looking at our AD's wardrobe for a clue about our next coach. It's not Fickell, since he's not wearing a wind breaker, but we now know he's staying at O$U anyway. Now the sweater vest is a Tressel signature, but did Tressel ever wear a hat? Turner Gill wears a hat, could he be headed back to the MAC? Eric Mangini has worn hats on occasion too? Tony Dungy wore hats? maybe it could be him. Not to mention he also would sport the sweater vest and is in fact bald like TW? Maybe TW has intentionally been shaving his head to appear bald, but in fact he could grow a fro if he wanted. Now when looking at the pants, it's tough. Since lots of coaches wear khakis the possibilities of this signal are endless.

Don't get your hopes up ZipsNation...if this was going to happen, we would have heard something by now.

We're really looking at our AD's wardrobe for a clue about our next coach. It's not Fickell, since he's not wearing a wind breaker, but we now know he's staying at O$U anyway. Now the sweater vest is a Tressel signature, but did Tressel ever wear a hat? Turner Gill wears a hat, could he be headed back to the MAC? Eric Mangini has worn hats on occasion too? Tony Dungy wore hats? maybe it could be him. Not to mention he also would sport the sweater vest and is in fact bald like TW? Maybe TW has intentionally been shaving his head to appear bald, but in fact he could grow a fro if he wanted. Now when looking at the pants, it's tough. Since lots of coaches wear khakis the possibilities of this signal are endless.

The guy in the speedo is all you need to look at. Find the coach that wears a speedo and he's our guy.

The guy in the speedo is all you need to look at. Find the coach that wears a speedo and he's our guy.

So you're saying there's a chance.......

that our next coach will be Borat?

Very Nice!

There's a lot of people on here with "info." i hope for everyone's sake, it's legit.

I think when they're referring to "info" maybe it's a reference to InfoCision Stadium. Where we go to watch our 1 win football teams, then they cross the street, buy some drugs from the crackheads that makes them believe that Tressel would ever come to Akron. So ya if that's the "info" you're referring to, it's caused about over a dozen pages of hallucination.

There's a lot of people on here with "info." i hope for everyone's sake, it's legit.

There are people on this site with legit sources. I try not to post anything unless it's a source within the athletic department that would have knowledge of the situation. That's what I did with the word that Ianello was going to be fired. A lot of other people on the board had sources saying similar things. Usually, if trusted posters around here are posting something, it's legit. Personally, I have no knowledge of the Tressel situation, but I'm sure there are others around here that do.

I think when they're referring to "info" maybe it's a reference to InfoCision Stadium. Where we go to watch our 1 win football teams, then they cross the street, buy some drugs from the crackheads that makes them believe that Tressel would ever come to Akron. So ya if that's the "info" you're referring to, it's caused about over a dozen pages of hallucination.

Just getting you in quotes in case you have to eat those insults later.

Just getting you in quotes in case you have to eat those insults later.

I hope he does.

All of this negativity is ridiculous. Obviously everyone (except GP1) wants Tressel because he would do GREAT things for the University and football program; and from what is going around, it isn't that far fetched to think it's a possibility.

So what's with the negativity? Do you people not want Akron to succeed? Don't say you're "being realists" or any of that bull either. The truth is, many of you are just run-of-the-mill disgruntled NEOhio sports fans that never can believe that something good is possibly happening. Well, maybe that's part of the problem. Stop being so damn negative and get behind this thing, because maybe that unified support is just what UA and local leaders need to help make this a reality. We don't need you people being Negative Nancy's.

Let's review the 15 pages with what ZN posters have attributed to various unknown sources:

GoZips - Hinted that it was Tressel's job if he wanted it...also hinted that a move to the Big East could follow. Said that plans for a new arena are already underway.

Bobbyake - Said that several people saw Tressel at Tommy Evans Lounge Saturday night. Also said it's Tressel's job if he wants it.

Mes102 - Said that if Tressel does come to Akron, a coach who we have previously mentioned would come with him.

ZachTheZip - Said the players were having a meeting tonight and would be informed of who the new coach will be...said it would be announced today or tomorrow. Also said that some of the media knows about our new coach, but is holding off on reporting it at this time.

RootForRoo44 - Said the aforementioned meeting was described as "run of the mill" by several football players, and that no coach was named. Also said that he personally saw Tressel at the JAR Saturday.

And of course, footballscoop.com had the original report that Akron was targeting Tressel.