Fire Tom Wistrcill?

bobbyake

Do you want Tom Wistrcill fired? Regardless of who he hires to coach Akron next.  

62 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What I'm saying is people were saying it would be terrible if looking for new AD and coach at same time...but what happens if we were able to get someone to come here and be both the AD and the football coach?

Then the new coach wouldn't have to worry about Wistrcill's replacement wanting to bring in his own guy.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then the new coach wouldn't have to worry about Wistrcill's replacement wanting to bring in his own guy.

exactly...which gives me an idea/theory, but I'll keep my mouth shut. Oh why not bring it up...Why not Romeo at KC? :lol:

At this point, it might be better off for UA to just give the head coaching job to an AK-rowdie, and then make the rest of the coaching staff students as well. Then, all UA has to do is pay the tuition, books, etc. while they're coaching. If the real reason we're not getting a "qualified" coach is because of $$$$$$$. then UA should do this... :rolleyes:

No Head Coach should be the Athletic Director. That is too much for one man to do. Successful examples of someone pulling this dual duty are nearly non-existent. This is not to mention the built-in bias one would have toward the sport he is coaching.

I am vigorously against anything that could harm the men’s soccer program. Naming Keith Dambrot, or the soon to be named football coach, the AD has the potential to encourage Caleb Porter to look elsewhere. Such a notion is at best merely a bad idea, and at worst an unmitigated disaster. Tom Wistrill has been the most responsive AD in Akron history toward men’s soccer. Under his watch First Energy was built and Akron’s first team championship was won. Leave it alone.

There is no defense for the Ianello hiring. It smelled bad initially and actually proved to be even worse. Give Wistrill another chance at getting a perhaps lesser known up-and-comer, someone with ties to the school and the community. Right now, the job is a tough sell, so only an unproven coach with high potential will take it. The board should extend Wistrill’s contract so that the HCs of all sports will be less uneasy.

We are at the sad point where the HFC will need to be convinced to come. Firing the AD during this search does not lure anyone to take the offer. If anything, it repels potential candidates.

The board should extend Wistrill’s contract so that the HCs of all sports will be less uneasy.

Thanks for checking in, Tom. But we know Dambrot, Porter and Mitchell aren't really all that concerned with job security, so get back on the phone and find us a new football coach. One that isn't a coordinator at a MAC program that couldn't even win the MAC East.

I'd venture to say that every head coach currently at Akron has FAR more job security than our lame-duck AD. And firing him would no doubt be seen as a POSITIVE to any incoming football coach.

I also agree, no coach should try to assume AD duties, as well. Coaching is a 365 day a year job, with scouting, recruiting, etc. It would be as crazy as a Browns coach trying to also be Offensive Coordinator...or General Manager. Unmitigated disasters.

I think Dennison may do both jobs at Walsh, but that's a much smaller scale, and he's had vast experience in both positions. That's the rare exception where it could work. And, BTW, if Jim Dennison would ever consider resuming the AD role here at Akron when he's finished coaching, I'd welcome that move with open arms, as would the majority of Zips Nation.

After Terry Bowden as the new Zips coach is made official, we should redo this vote. I will change mine to no.

From what I read, Bowden "reached out to Akron." The process of bringing Bowden to Akron may have had very little to do with Wistrcill. If I'm wrong and he was the impetus, I stand corrected. But from what we know about TW from his past, I'm not giving him immediate credit for this--without knowing he was somewhat responsible.

Rather than vote either way, I say we let the UA insiders--who SHOULD know the facts--determine Tom's fate when the contract expires next year.

After Terry Bowden as the new Zips coach is made official, we should redo this vote. I will change mine to no.

From what I read, Bowden "reached out to Akron." The process of bringing Bowden to Akron may have had very little to do with Wistrcill. If I'm wrong and he was the impetus, I stand corrected. But from what we know about TW from his past, I'm not giving him immediate credit for this--without knowing he was somewhat responsible.

Rather than vote either way, I say we let the UA insiders--who SHOULD know the facts--determine Tom's fate when the contract expires next year.

I read that as well and thought it seemed a bit odd..

Come on, people! You gentlemen read this where...?

NOT TO MENTION, YouTube Tom "drove to Detroit and offered the job to Paul Winters"....who never, in any universe, would've created the excitement, buzz, credibility and success that Terry Bowden brings instantly to Akron.

Offering to Winters was a big-time blunder. Side-by-side, Winters and Bowden, there's a clear choice. TW blew it, and then got reeeeaalll lucky that Bowden was interested.

As Paul Harvey would say, that's the rest of the story. Let's not put TW on any pedestal. His decision-making appears to still be lacking. A lot.

Right here, man. Read it yourself...Todd Porter does not report crap:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1587718435/...-football-coach

Quick summary edit:

AKRON —The University of Akron may have found a fit better than a native son to breathe life back into its football program. According to a source with knowledge of contract talks, Akron will hire Terry Bowden to be the Zips next football coach. Bowden, who is reviving his coaching career, may need the Zips as much as the Zips need him.

Key administrators from the university met with Bowden Wednesday near Cleveland Hopkins Airport and later offered him the job. Bowden, who has been the head coach at Division II University of North Alabama, flew back Thursday morning to inform his players of the move.

Akron’s beleaguered football program has needed infused with enthusiasm. The Zips have won just one game in each of the last two years. Bowden is taking over for Rob Ianello, who went 1-11 in each of the last two seasons.

According to the source, Bowden reached out to Akron. His hiring is subject to board of trustee approval.

And B&G, I'm not sure I liked your "tone." Chill out, we're on the same side. :wave:

Right here, man. Read it yourself...Todd Porter does not report crap:

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x1587718435/...-football-coach

Quick summary edit:

AKRON —The University of Akron may have found a fit better than a native son to breathe life back into its football program. According to a source with knowledge of contract talks, Akron will hire Terry Bowden to be the Zips next football coach. Bowden, who is reviving his coaching career, may need the Zips as much as the Zips need him.

Key administrators from the university met with Bowden Wednesday near Cleveland Hopkins Airport and later offered him the job. Bowden, who has been the head coach at Division II University of North Alabama, flew back Thursday morning to inform his players of the move.

Akron’s beleaguered football program has needed infused with enthusiasm. The Zips have won just one game in each of the last two years. Bowden is taking over for Rob Ianello, who went 1-11 in each of the last two seasons.

According to the source, Bowden reached out to Akron. His hiring is subject to board of trustee approval.

And B&G, I'm not sure I liked your "tone." Chill out, we're on the same side. :wave:

Sorry, no offense. And thanks for the link!

Considering where we all were yesterday, the hiring of Bowden is fantastic. I still would have chosen Winters because I think he would have been a longer burn. He would have been successful and would have made this his destination. He would have been another KD, while we have hired another Huggins. The best we can hope for now is three or four years of revived Zips football before Terry will jump back to the big time.

Considering where we all were yesterday, the hiring of Bowden is fantastic. I still would have chosen Winters because I think he would have been a longer burn. He would have been successful and would have made this his destination. He would have been another KD, while we have hired another Huggins. The best we can hope for now is three or four years of revived Zips football before Terry will jump back to the big time.

He would be "jumping back" to the big time at age 60. His age has been part of other schools hesitance. Big time programs want younger guys (Urban is going to OSU at 47) almost a full decade younger than Bowden.

I think Bowden just wanted to be at this level again and wanted to make a difference somewhere.

He would be "jumping back" to the big time at age 60. His age has been part of other schools hesitance. Big time programs want younger guys (Urban is going to OSU at 47) almost a full decade younger than Bowden.

I think Bowden just wanted to be at this level again and wanted to make a difference somewhere.

I agree. The guy is 55 years old. He's not job-hopping.

If he got the Zips to the point where he was attractive to a BCS program, I'd be tickled pink. Then our next coach search would be much more fun.

But he hasn't even had an introductory press conference at UA yet, so talk of him leaving for a better job is pretty funny. :lol:

I think the fact that he fired Icoach while he was on his way to his mother's funeral is all I need. That is the most classless thing I have heard for a long tim and I am ashamed of my school.

It wasn't as if there was a big rush to bring someone else in. He wasn't replaced for what, two months?

I wish I had heard this when it happened, as I saw Uncle Tom walking out of the JAR one day and shook his hand. I was too busy getting ready for finals to stay informed on the football train wreck. So if this rant is a bit late, I apologize.

I think the fact that he fired Icoach while he was on his way to his mother's funeral is all I need. That is the most classless thing I have heard for a long tim and I am ashamed of my school.

It wasn't as if there was a big rush to bring someone else in. He wasn't replaced for what, two months?

I wish I had heard this when it happened, as I saw Uncle Tom walking out of the JAR one day and shook his hand. I was too busy getting ready for finals to stay informed on the football train wreck. So if this rant is a bit late, I apologize.

someone posted the Zipmail somewhere on here where Tom Wistrcill explained the car/fire situation. Apparently Ianello already knew he was being fired before the drive.

Considering how long it took to hire a new coach, you could argue that the university could have delayed the firing. But if you were around the boards before the firing, we were all raging for blood. The Fire Ianello facebook group grew to around 400 people and for basketball's sake, I don't think the decision could be delayed any longer.

Thanks, I feel better now.

And I was in agreement it was time for Coach Iadon'tknow to change his scenery. The perceived timing looked bad, the basketball thing makes sense.