UA-Can't State Game Thread

zestycoyote

Another excellent article from Marla Ridenhour.

M. Ridenhour for the ABJ

I agree. Good observations. KD has to change to let this team excel and he knows it.

But Dambrot sees flashes of their amazing talent. The same kind of talent he saw in a young LeBron James. The same kind of talent that might lead them to the NBA. So instead of reining them in, Dambrot reins himself in and lets them loose.

We’re not as disciplined; we don’t understand our defensive concepts as well, but we’re gifted, we’re good when we run, we probably should press.” Dambrot is also wondering if he should spend less time on working on the opponent’s tendencies and just let his players play.

PS Marla's article on the game was better than EA's or BL's in the PD.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wave: Good Morning,

Boy do I agree with KD. Just let them play. As I mentioned, they are so talented. Sometime you have to look outside the box and enjoy your players.

One thing, when they want to play as a team they do, just needs to happen more if they want the MAC. Stats do not lie, check them out KD and see which players are giving you their best effort.

CONGRATULATIONS Zips. I really enjoyed the game.

I agree. Good observations. KD has to change to let this team excel and he knows it.

As the game was ending last night, I'm wondering how many of you had thoughts of the 2007 MAC tourney semifinal game.

We trailed Ken+ by double digits at halftime. Everything was going wrong. Yet, in the 2nd half we were ignited by a string of 3-pointers by Dials and Joyce, and won somewhat confortably, scoring 42 points in the 2nd half after scoring only 19 in the first.

Few additional thoughts from last night:

Someone mentioned it earlier, but it bears repeating. When the Zips started cutting down on the turnovers they started to make the big run. No coincidence that you are going to be behind when you turn it over 13 times in the first 25 minutes. Also not a coincidence that we blew Can't out of the gym when we only had 2 the last 15 minutes of the game.

I have no problem with KD's postgame comments about wanting his guys to practice harder, and I do not see it at all a him setting up an excuse for the next loss. KD is a brutally honest coach. Always has been and always will be. It is one of the qualities that makes him successful. Quite frankly, Harney, Tree and Co. should all WANT to practice harder. As Dave put it earlier, you could tell the youngsters were gassed out there towards the end of that run. Practice a little harder and maybe they can handle more minutes.

You have to go back and watch the alley oop dunk Harney had from Q a couple more times to truly appreciate the kind of talent Nick is. That pass was low. Nick caught it around his knees and was already in mid-air. Nick not only caught the ball around his knees, he swept it up over his head and threw it down in one majestic motion. It was a play with an extremely high degree of difficulty and Nick made it look absolutely effortless. He is such a cerebral offensive talent that it almost doesn't look like he is trying out there at times.

I believe Dave said it after the OU game. With this team you never truly get worried about them being completely out of a game. Unlike in the past where if we got down 10+ midway through the second you were really worried, this team has the offensive firepower to mount huge comebacks in very short periods of time. A lot of fun to watch this team play. I only hope that all the casual fans at the JAR last night realize that and keep coming back.

For the first time since I came to Akron in '03 I can honestly say that the Zips had better athletes on the floor than Can't. Honestly, it wasn't really close. Down the stretch Can't just didn't have anyone who could match up with the athleticism of Q, Harney, Tree, Gilliam, etc. A sight for sore eyes.

Justin Greene being in foul trouble most of the second half was one of the keys to our run too.

The next time we play them, I would make a conscious effort to repeat that. They are a much different team without him on the floor.

Zeke seems to be his Kryptonite.

Among my favorite comments from the Can't forum game thread:

Their bench players are better than our starters.

And this exchange:

Man, I hope this is not the beginning of the end.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After looking at Akron's roster, next year looks to be their best year too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It helps to build with four-year guys.

One little thing that i didn't like: in the post game conversation KD mentions how Harney and Tree practice really bad. Really, coach? It seems that no matter how good the moment is, KD is always looking for an excuse for the next loss. I just don't get it.

See, and this is what I love about Keith Dambrot. The Zips players and all of us are feeling on top of the world right now. However, if they don't keep working hard and fail to win the MAC Tournament, this win won't be remembered. Nick Harney has incredible potential, and has a breakout game tonight. But if Nick Harney doesn't keep working hard, this may be the high-point of his career.

It's not an excuse for the next loss...it's balance. Dambrot is always looking at the big picture, which players and fans are sometimes unable to do.

What a night. It feels fantastic to have the Zips send home two huge crowds in a row happy.

It is imperative to have a good showing against the West. As usual, it appears Akron draws the two toughest out west on the road in Ball State and Western Michigan. 5-0 or 4-1 is an absolute necessity to maintain 1st place. It starts with Ball State Tuesday, on STO. My wife and I will be making the trip to Mount Pleasant next Saturday to watch another good game. Hopefully KD keeps the kids focused, because in the past we've lost ground against the MAC's AA ballclubs.

See, and this is what I love about Keith Dambrot. The Zips players and all of us are feeling on top of the world right now. However, if they don't keep working hard and fail to win the MAC Tournament, this win won't be remembered. Nick Harney has incredible potential, and has a breakout game tonight. But if Nick Harney doesn't keep working hard, this may be the high-point of his career.

It's not an excuse for the next loss...it's balance. Dambrot is always looking at the big picture, which players and fans are sometimes unable to do.

Excellent, excellent post.

KD gives a few hints of possibly being more flexible, and some people suddenly get delusions of us turning into the Runnin Rebels of the 1980s.

If anyone thinks that KD is going to employ anything that resembles a "just let them play" philosophy, you're crazy. In many respects, these guys might need more discipline and "coaching", and have more need to develop a strong work ethic, than any group that's ever been here under his leadership.

As we heard during the many articles, videos and interviews after this game, these guys are an erratic product capable of losing to anyone, and one of our former players accredited our MAC tournament success over the last several years to practicing and striving to do everything right.

Yes, a dramatic change in our style could increase our chances of scoring big upsets against top schools, which would have obvious benefits. But the risk of "letting go" to any great extent could be very dangerous for this team as well, and I'd be shocked if KD ventures too far away from the philosophies and practices that have made us the consistent product that can be successful in MAC tournaments.

It was clear that Can't did not belong on the same floor as Akron last night. It got to the point where three Zips were at the hoop while only one Felon was making his way down floor. The athleticism of Akron is amazing, I am very grateful to have entered Akron during this time period. Last year we won the MAC and now it appears to only going to get better.

But the risk of "letting go" to any great extent could be very dangerous for this team as well, and I'd be shocked if KD ventures too far away from the philosophies and practices that have made us the consistent product that can be successful in MAC tournaments.

Maybe it isn't about letting go as much as it is about KD2.0 getting comfortable with the better talent. He's never coached this type of team talent before and I'm sure there is an adjustment period for him as well. Right now KD2.0 is like person who is driving a really fast car he has always wanted for the first time. It is understandable if that person needs a little time to get used to the speed and handling of the car. The more the person drives the car, the better they get at handling it. The same could apply to Keith. I really don't see a problem. Regardless of the loss to Buffalo, we are still the best team in the MAC and I am confident we will prove it in March...again.

The fact that everyone contributed in the 9 person rotation really made me happy. I was happy to see Walsh start the game hitting a huge three. Gilliam didn't disappear as the game went on. He had a couple of early TO's and normally that would have planted his butt on the bench but not yesterday and boy am I glad. He kept his energy up and his composure in check. KD rewarded him and the fans were rewarded because of it. TREE - what can you say, the guy is an animal under the basket similiar to j.wood but more athletic. 5 Offensive TO's is nothing to write off but something to take note of. Q, he came out and controlled the game for the 7 most important minutes of the game and gave Abreu a much needed rest. Q has established himself as the most diversified player on the team. Harney, it's all already been said. Pure scorer but he also had a huge block in the 2nd half. If KD can keep their focus this team is truly going to be dangerous in march.

@Jalapeño Zippy, a couple of points: Gilliam did not have a couple of early TO's. The box score shows he only had 1 turnover for the whole game. Also Tree did not have 5 offensive TO's. He had 5 offensive rebounds, and was the only Zips player to have no turnovers.

Tree has actually moved up in the national standings for offensive rebounding percentage. He was ranked 5th nationally and now he's 3rd. Only 2 D-I players in the country grab a higher percentage of offensive rebounds when they're on the floor than Tree.

Another note from the game is that Egner was dressed and looked healthy in warmups. He didn't play, but then neither did his old Jackson HS teammate Henniger for the Felons.

Egner is having a tough time earning PT with 9 other guys playing so well right now. It's odd to look at the box score from last night and see 9 players in double digit minutes with the leading scorer (Harney) having the fewest minutes at 14! It's pretty amazing balance when you see minutes played of 31, 29, 27, 22, 21, 21, 18, 16 and 14.

The Serb played 27 minutes, but will not be here next season. Tree is likely to get the Serb's minutes next season, and Egner is the most likely player to get the backup frontcourt minutes that Tree has claimed this season. Hopefully Egner can raise his game another notch between now and then.

I don't have a good feel for where Reggie McAdams will play at the college level. He's currently listed at 6-6, 195 pounds. On paper, that doesn't sound like a great replacement for the 6-8, 230-pound Serb at PF.

McAdams is described as being able to play all positions, including PG, on a small HS team. He gets kudos for his 3-point shooting. That sounds like a college wing guard or wing forward to me. The Zips are loaded with wings. Their biggest need is at the 4/5 positions, especially after the Serb is gone.

Next season the Zips will start Zeke at center and Tree at power forward. Who on the roster will have the size, strength and skills to be able to rebound and defend against the other teams' bigs when Zeke and/or Tree are on the bench?

I live 30 minutes away from Elida (McAdams town) and had the chance to see him play multiple times. He is not a replacement for Nik. He is more of a skilled player than a big power one.

Last year, his junior year, he seemed to be a clone of Nitro, just a bit bigger. He is a ball handler, a shooter and a slasher. Granted I have only seen him playing against high schoolers. This year, he seems to be posting up a bit more and is looking more like Harney. I will try to take some pics and post them here next time i see him play.

Maybe it isn't about letting go as much as it is about KD2.0 getting comfortable with the better talent. He's never coached this type of team talent before and I'm sure there is an adjustment period for him as well. Right now KD2.0 is like person who is driving a really fast car he has always wanted for the first time. It is understandable if that person needs a little time to get used to the speed and handling of the car. The more the person drives the car, the better they get at handling it. The same could apply to Keith. I really don't see a problem. Regardless of the loss to Buffalo, we are still the best team in the MAC and I am confident we will prove it in March...again.

Couldn't agree with you more, KD hpin the last four years has not had a line up where he can play five players 6'5 or taller. And all of them have the potential to guard anybody. This team can compete with anybody miss.state they just have to play defense and rebound and they will win most of the games their in.

@Jalapeño Zippy, a couple of points: Gilliam did not have a couple of early TO's. The box score shows he only had 1 turnover for the whole game. Also Tree did not have 5 offensive TO's. He had 5 offensive rebounds, and was the only Zips player to have no turnovers.

Tree has actually moved up in the national standings for offensive rebounding percentage. He was ranked 5th nationally and now he's 3rd. Only 2 D-I players in the country grab a higher percentage of offensive rebounds when they're on the floor than Tree.

Another note from the game is that Egner was dressed and looked healthy in warmups. He didn't play, but then neither did his old Jackson HS teammate Henniger for the Felons.

Egner is having a tough time earning PT with 9 other guys playing so well right now. It's odd to look at the box score from last night and see 9 players in double digit minutes with the leading scorer (Harney) having the fewest minutes at 14! It's pretty amazing balance when you see minutes played of 31, 29, 27, 22, 21, 21, 18, 16 and 14.

The Serb played 27 minutes, but will not be here next season. Tree is likely to get the Serb's minutes next season, and Egner is the most likely player to get the backup frontcourt minutes that Tree has claimed this season. Hopefully Egner can raise his game another notch between now and then.

You're right Dave. That was my typing error. When discussing Tree I meant rebounds not turnover's. Regarding CG, there was such a barrage of TO's early in the game I could have sworn he had more than one, but I must have been mistaken.

As always, greatly appreciated!