Jim Tressel on staff??

Zipgrad01

This has honestly, got to be the most intelligent post ever written/read on a college football fan message board. I sincerely, with 100% respect for this poster's matter-of-fact delivery of the best accounts/opinions on each topic; allows us to reasonably make up our own minds about each situation.

I personally think that Auburn is a MUCH scarier place than Ohio State could ever possibly be. Auburn and Alabma have taken college football to another level. Complain about the big $$ to the schools from SEC television contracts? Alabama pays its head football coach close to $5million. That is insane - except for the fact that since Saban abandoned the Dolphins for the head job at Alabama, and they are undoubtedly the top program in the nation over the past 3 years, the Tide have raised enormous sums of money. They sre not operating at a deficit. Why did Auburn win last year? Two words. No.....four words.....Cam Newton Got Paid..... It is what it is.. They do it, and get away with it. When someone can finally make it stick, that writer will win a Pulitzer. I promise you that.

I would bet my season tickets that Tressel regrets what he did, and Coach Bowden wishes he had spoken up and stood up to some "powerful" boosters who bully their way through an Athletic Department.

LP has some vision, some guts, some love of gambling, and some actual clue about how to potentially raise the amount of money necessary to compete on the level with BCS confernence teams/champions. I really believe that if his (and the Board of Regents or Trustees) decisions prove to be the right ones, he and the Zips could become one of the great stories of recent memory. Gonna be fun to watch!

+1. Ever. ;)

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You just have to love writers :). "Toppled the football powerhouse"??? Really? Seems to me Urban landed a pretty dadgum good recruiting class - while Penn State struggled. Tattoo-gate is so minor in comparison to PSUs seeming lack of institutional control over many, many years that it's almost embarrassing for me to put the two in the same sentence. Now that JoePa has passed away, which is very sad, there will be a reprieve from the media for a while. But when the NCAAs investigation is complete I believe all of the wins from 2002 forward will be vacated. What happened at OSU is not even in the same universe.

The media also has a very short memory. Those headlines/stories will be long forgotten in a few weeks/months.

It's good to believe in something. I'd be really interested to know your thought process on this one. Care to elaborate?

Jim Tressel found out that his players were involved in breaking NCAA rules. Instead of reporting the infractions, he handled the situation in-house and lied to the NCAA about his knowledge of them once they were uncovered. This eventually cost him his job. Many here have said that, because of these actions, they cannot respect him and/or support him at UA. According to an ESPN report, Terry Bowden allegedly found out in 1993 that Auburn was paying players to sign. He did not say whether or not he reported it to the NCAA, but considering they were already on probation and nothing happened, it's safe to say he didn't. Terry handled the situation in-house, saying he put a stop to the practice. When reporters asked him about it, Bowden said the comments were off the record and that he had no comment. We have accepted Bowden with open arms. For both men, this is somewhat of a 2nd chance. For Bowden, to prove he can once again lead a respected, winning D1 football program. For Tressel, to prove that he has learned from his critical error in judgement, and that he once again deserves to be in a leadership role at a university. I hope we can all come together to support them both. They may be able to help take UA athletics to a level that we have never seen before.
Very nice post. A comment on the bold text part. Support and respect are two separate things for me. JT has my support because he is going to help my Alma mater. He has to EARN my respect. We will see what he does during his time here. I'm cautiously optimistic. I hope he leaves here successfully without scandal, unlike he did at Youngstown & Columbus. Good luck to him, and go Zips!

I just read the Q&A article in the Beacon, with Marla Ridenour asking questions of Tressel. The thing that popped into my mind as I read it was whether the city will more aggressively engage with UA going forward. How can the Don go forward without fully and very publicly engaging with the university and marrying the city's interests with UA's interests? My impression over the last several years has been that even though UA has become the absolute anchor institution within the city of Akron, there has been less than full engagement between the city and university. I'm not sure that I can define what that engagement should look like, but it just has seemed as though there's the city, and then there's UA.

Perhaps the recruitment of Tressel will provide the impetus for the two leaders to match their visions to maximum advantage. I just moved away from Akron recently, but in the 6+ years that we were back there I can't remember even one time that the mayor and LP were in the press together, not one joint press conference, joint appearance, never saw stories in the paper about joint planning initiatives. There has occasionally been press about the University Park partnership, but these are the two most powerful people, by far, in the Akron metro area. They should be joined at the hip mapping out a joint strategy, very publicly.

Two most peopleful people in the same fish pond? What does human nature tell you is going to happen. Rivalry and mistrust.

...which is ridiculous. There is tremendous potential for growth and positive change, the kind of change that has been generally been lacking in the region for 30+ years. I find it incredible that the egos of a handful of people could keep the city and the university from more effectively joining forces to forge something truly beneficial for both. I'll give you an example. Once, in speaking with the UA Police Chief, I asked whether the city/APD had made any efforts to assist in adding patrols in the neighborhood south of exchange (aka the student slum) when that area went downhill. I was told that the city and APD had done absolutely nothing to assist in that neighborhood and that the crime problem there had become a serious issue for the university. That is a simple thing that the city can, and should do to make it clear that it is a joint priority that the neighborhoods around the university be reasonably safe. There really needs to be a beneficially symbiotic relationship between the two entities if both are going to thrive going forward. If Tressel needs to focus on anything, this is an area where his notoriety could effect positive change.

The city of Akron, and especially the Don, need to understand once and for all, that without a thriving UA this city is a dying two-bit rust belt town. Maybe Tressel can be the yoke that finally brings the two together, aggressively and publicly.

I can't imagine any other scenario where UA would get someone of his stature-- even now tainted-- to take a leadership role. He doesn't need to do this for any reason other than to make an impact.

How many years does Tressel have in the Ohio Public Employees retirement program?

Two most peopleful people in the same fish pond? What does human nature tell you is going to happen. Rivalry and mistrust.

Akron is not a little village or Cleveland suburb and UA is not a small liberal arts college. There's more than enough room for the both of them. They could both do their jobs all year and not once run into each other on campus.

It's time to think big. Mindsets need to be changed to reflect the actual size and reach of UA and the city of Akron.

How many years does Tressel have in the Ohio Public Employees retirement program?

You do realize his wife is worth millions of $$$ on her own, right?

Frank Watson

His "get involved" attitude has led him to the presidency of the Youngstown Welding and Engineering Company, a post that he held from 1959 to 1988

his extra curricular activities include Director of the Dollar Savings and Trust Company, the Ohio Bancorp and Ohio Edison Company (Akron, Ohio).

The hiring of JT is yet another example that goes to show you that crime does indeed pay. …Lying and cheating lands you a job making $200K. Wonderful!!

Personally, I find the decision to hire him 90% idiotic and 10% genius. In the end, my guess is that this is a 12-18 month engagement that will not amount to much for UA. If he can show the NCAA that he was truly sorry for his actions at tosu with positive work at UA, just maybe he can get his show cause penalty reduced and he will be back coaching somewhere. The sooner the better…

In the short-term, I can see his presence felt on campus. Unfortunately, I do not see how engaging with a bunch of UA students to talk tosu football is going to help. Students will continue to go through the motions in support of UA and it’s athletic teams. Getting to meet and talk to JT will just increase their love and support for tosu. Super!!!

The genius part of the hire will have to do with alumni. UA realized that we have tens of thousands of alumni who are moronic buckeye honks. We also have many others who masquerade as Zips fans.

What better way is there to make them all feel good about their favorite college football team- tosu, while getting them to pony up a few bucks to UA than to have UA alumni events that give everyone an opportunity to discuss tosu football with JT? It’s a win-win for everyone. Pure genius on UA’s part.

An invitation to Zips Win! will not be needed.

The hiring of JT is yet another example that goes to show you that crime does indeed pay. …Lying and cheating lands you a job making $200K. Wonderful!!

Personally, I find the decision to hire him 90% idiotic and 10% genius. In the end, my guess is that this is a 12-18 month engagement that will not amount to much for UA. If he can show the NCAA that he was truly sorry for his actions at tosu with positive work at UA, just maybe he can get his show cause penalty reduced and he will be back coaching somewhere. The sooner the better…

In the short-term, I can see his presence felt on campus. Unfortunately, I do not see how engaging with a bunch of UA students to talk tosu football is going to help. Students will continue to go through the motions in support of UA and it’s athletic teams. Getting to meet and talk to JT will just increase their love and support for tosu. Super!!!

The genius part of the hire will have to do with alumni. UA realized that we have tens of thousands of alumni who are moronic buckeye honks. We also have many others who masquerade as Zips fans.

What better way is there to make them all feel good about their favorite college football team- tosu, while getting them to pony up a few bucks to UA than to have UA alumni events that give everyone an opportunity to discuss tosu football with JT? It’s a win-win for everyone. Pure genius on UA’s part.

Excellent Post.

Let's see, he has to walk around wearing a scarlet letter (except that it's gold instead of red) and took more than a 90% pay cut. That my friend is evidence that crime does not pay.

It's good to believe in something. I'd be really interested to know your thought process on this one. Care to elaborate?

Because if Penn State is found guilty of the NCAAs most serious infraction, "the lack of institutional control" all of the team's wins will be vacated from the date they determine the infraction began until the date the infraction was stopped.

Auburn is the dirtiest program out there right now. Just heard an interesting story about Jordan Diamond. A 5* OT that had many major schools in on him. After a visit to a couple of schools, certain schools stopped recruiting him and predicted he would end up at Auburn. Not hard to read between the lines, like old trooper taylor.

Let's see, he has to walk around wearing a scarlet letter (except that it's gold instead of red) and took more than a 90% pay cut. That my friend is evidence that crime does not pay.

Dude, get a grip. We have Terry Bowden as head coach, Caleb Porter (best soccer coach in U.S.), Keith Dambrot (fantastic coach with ties to Lebron) and now we have Jim Tressel (at $200K) working for us. What are you bitching about? This hire is 100% genius. We need publicity and excitement to support the new facilities and get the community excited. Tressel is class and so was Joe Paterno (RIP). I cannot believe anyone would bitch about this hire. If we dont move to a better conference all of these facilities will rot.

Auburn is the dirtiest program out there right now. Just heard an interesting story about Jordan Diamond. A 5* OT that had many major schools in on him. After a visit to a couple of schools, certain schools stopped recruiting him and predicted he would end up at Auburn. Not hard to read between the lines, like old trooper taylor.

Which prostitute is the biggest whore?

No argument here. I said in a post somewhere that the writer who finally nails down that story will win a Pulitzer.

Translation: I'm going to overlook/ignore all logical potential benefits of hiring Tressel because I hate Ohio State.

It's good to see that the majority of Zips fans have the common sense to set aside any hatred they hold for Ohio State and have realized the things this university may/should be able to accomplish with Tressel now on board.

I just read the Q&A article in the Beacon, with Marla Ridenour asking questions of Tressel. The thing that popped into my mind as I read it was whether the city will more aggressively engage with UA going forward. How can the Don go forward without fully and very publicly engaging with the university and marrying the city's interests with UA's interests? My impression over the last several years has been that even though UA has become the absolute anchor institution within the city of Akron, there has been less than full engagement between the city and university. I'm not sure that I can define what that engagement should look like, but it just has seemed as though there's the city, and then there's UA.

Perhaps the recruitment of Tressel will provide the impetus for the two leaders to match their visions to maximum advantage. I just moved away from Akron recently, but in the 6+ years that we were back there I can't remember even one time that the mayor and LP were in the press together, not one joint press conference, joint appearance, never saw stories in the paper about joint planning initiatives. There has occasionally been press about the University Park partnership, but these are the two most powerful people, by far, in the Akron metro area. They should be joined at the hip mapping out a joint strategy, very publicly.

The mayor was at the game tonight. He was sitting on the east side, lower bowl, center court.

I wasn't at the game; just watching online. But they had the camera on him during a timeout.

Plenty, why?

Goes directly to motivation. He has between 25 and 30 years in the Ohio retirement system. 30 is the magic number. I count he has around 28 right now. I don't know exactly how it works, but a retired person gets a certain payout based on the average of their highest earning years. Let's say if he makes it to 30 he gets 75% of $1 million during his retired years. Pretty good income for doing nothing.

Best post on this topic. 18 months on the high end.

Best post on this topic. 18 months on the high end.

Do you two have a problem with the hiring of Terry Bowden, who, according to the ESPN report that I linked, admitted that there were violations that were taking place when he started at Auburn that he did not report to the NCAA?

Side note: Before anyone rips me, I have zero issue with the Bowden hire. I love Terry Bowden being Akron's coach. I'm simply illustrating that some are letting OSU hate stand in the way of logic.