Central Michigan

ZachTheZip

Oh jesus you sound like the STO announcers. Them wasting a timeout is not penalizing us. It helped us later in the game when they had no timeouts left!

Agreed. Perfectly analogous to a football team taking a time out to avoid a penalty for delay of game. In a sense, they are penalized for having unnecessarily burned a timeout. I would feel differently if a timeout reset the shot clock.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ALL TREADWELL ALL THE TIME

I love that guy!

That makes two of us. For my money, "Tree" was our true player of the game.

Overall the Zips hammered out a win against stiff adversity.

Had to chuckle that over on a CMU board a poster was complaining about not getting foul calls. Not sure he was

watching the same game we were at. Zips had eight first half fouls; CMU two. A tad lopsided to be kind.

Pat Forsythe played like a Freshman. He is still a step slow. Pat needs to know where he is on the court especially

where the foul lane is. Way too many three second violations. The potential is there. Take a deep breathe, Pat, and

play on. You will be a great player soon.

Alex is stepping up. The Freshman clones, Reggie and Jake continue to improve.

The game was a lot closer and scarier than the final score shows.

Zeke, two games in a row you step in bounds before delivering the inbound pass. In the Ohio game you got caught.

Tonight you and the Zips dodged a bullet. That is a lack of concentration.

Mental lapses seem to plague the Zips in general.

Keno Davis had a great game plan. Keith Dambrot had one equally good and an extra supply of "horses".

1) We can't afford for Tree to get many technicals. Hopefully, this won't happen again.

2) That grad student (#12) balled against anyone who guarded him.

3) The "old" Zips would very likely have lost a game like this.

4) Even though it was a bit of a letdown in terms of national reputation, Nick Harney and Alex Abreu helped to mitigate the damage by making the ESPN top 10 plays :thumb:

I watched at a bar with no sound on last night.. Could someone please explain Trees T? I didn't really catch what happened.

Excellent question. I was at the game, but, unfortunately I was at the far end of the court. So, like you, I was puzzled.

I woke at 5 AM to watch the replay on TV. As near as I could tell "Tree" was whistled for a phantom foul. There seemed to

be any number of those. "Tree" was near under the basket with his hands in the air in what appeared to be a plaintiff call

to the officials as to what the foul was. Technically he could get a technical foul assessed if he used profanity. There was

no physical contact that I could see.

He was upset to the point that Coach pulled him from the game for the rest of the half.

"Tree" picked up a rather lame fourth foul midway through the second half. Incidental contact would be the best description.

Oddly, this foul occurred at the Zips end of the court and Akron in possession of the ball.

For what ever reason, "Tree" picked up his game and led the Zips to the win. You can name whom ever you want as the

Offensive, Defensive or Player of the Game. In my eye "Tree" was the catalyst that willed the Zips to victory.

Not to diminish Tree, but I feel like Abreu stood out in this victory. I've seen him get raves for getting hot and winning games before, but last night, when the game was on the line, he created a turnover, dropped a trey, took a layup, and penetrated so he could dish a slam. This all seemed to happen so fast I think CMU's heads were spinning.

He was upset to the point that Coach pulled him from the game for the rest of the half.

Could it have also been that it was his third foul that kept him out the rest of the half? Had that only been his first (and subsequent 2nd) I could see pulling him for a few minutes to calm him down, but perhaps Keith knew we might be needing him down the stretch and that might be a more logical expalnation for sitting the rest of the first half?

And the SportCenter Top Ten (#7) for Alex and Nick was pretty cool but couldn't they have as least mentioned a 14 game winning streak? :D

It is becoming very obvious that Tree is the key to our success. He got into early foul trouble and missed the majority of the middle part of the game. Interestingly, that is the same time we were in our slump...coincidence? I don't think so. Tree is definitely becoming our best player. :bow:

I gave Zeke props for following Treadwell's lead and playing an aggressive game against OU. What happened in two days?

We were playing against a team with no Center who played, and was starting a 6'-8" and 6'-7" pair of freshmen listed as forwards in the paint. You'd think that he'd have a 20 and 12 game, purely by accident. I'm really disappointed. I wanted to believe that those days were finally in the past.

Someone mentioned that this was a freshman year type of performance for Zeke. I can't help but to agree.

We need some editors on GoZips.com. This is from one of the last lines about the CMU game.

Brian Walsh and Abreu led the Zips with six points each. Zeke Marshall led Akron with three rebounds.

Hey maybe change that to "assists" and "blocks" and maybe we'd have something (but even those numbers are wrong for this game). Wouldn't be such a big deal but this is also what is used as a wrap up in other places like the MAC Web site.

George Thomas on the CMU game.

Tree receives huge props from KD:

“I thought he came back and played within himself really well,” UA coach Keith Dambrot said of Treadwell. “He’s a big key for us now. We have to have him now. That’s our new Romeo Travis. We don’t have anything that equals him at this point. Treadwell’s our best player. When he got back in the game, it was a huge difference.”

It is becoming very obvious that Tree is the key to our success. He got into early foul trouble and missed the majority of the middle part of the game. Interestingly, that is the same time we were in our slump...coincidence? I don't think so. Tree is definitely becoming our best player. :bow:

Tree reminds me of Blake Griffin.

He plays angry. With attitude. He refuses to be stopped. Playing like that WILL generate fouls, but at the end of the day he would have had another double double if he didn't have to sit due to foul trouble.

It is almost as if, with a few minutes remaining, Tree said:

"ENOUGH OF THIS BS. TIME TO PUT THIS GAME AWAY".

Excellent question. I was at the game, but, unfortunately I was at the far end of the court. So, like you, I was puzzled.

I woke at 5 AM to watch the replay on TV. As near as I could tell "Tree" was whistled for a phantom foul. There seemed to

be any number of those. "Tree" was near under the basket with his hands in the air in what appeared to be a plaintiff call

to the officials as to what the foul was. Technically he could get a technical foul assessed if he used profanity. There was

no physical contact that I could see.

"Tree" picked up a rather lame fourth foul midway through the second half. Incidental contact would be the best description.

Oddly, this foul occurred at the Zips end of the court and Akron in possession of the ball.

For what ever reason, "Tree" picked up his game and led the Zips to the win. You can name whom ever you want as the

Offensive, Defensive or Player of the Game. In my eye "Tree" was the catalyst that willed the Zips to victory.

The replay should be available on ESPN360 for a few days. No need to wake up early.

Associated Press game coverage is the single most widely distributed source of information about sports team performance, with the lead paragraph often used by itself in sports wrap-ups. Following is the lead from last night's game:

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - Alex Abreu scored 15 points and dished seven assists as Akron extended the nation's longest active winning streak to 14 games, downing Mid-American Conference-foe Central Michigan 68-56 Tuesday night.

The part that I bolded will be showing up in the lead of every AP game story on the Zips until they finally lose one. The more that sports journalists across the country see that line appear on the newswire, the more they will be inclined to think about doing their own stories on the Zips. The winning streak will continue to create more attention and respect as long as it can be sustained. This could turn into a really big deal.

Associated Press game coverage is the single most widely distributed source of information about sports team performance, with the lead paragraph often used by itself in sports wrap-ups. Following is the lead from last night's game:

AKRON, Ohio (AP) - Alex Abreu scored 15 points and dished seven assists as Akron extended the nation's longest active winning streak to 14 games, downing Mid-American Conference-foe Central Michigan 68-56 Tuesday night.

The part that I bolded will be showing up in the lead of every AP game story on the Zips until they finally lose one. The more that sports journalists across the country see that line appear on the newswire, the more they will be inclined to think about doing their own stories on the Zips. The winning streak will continue to create more attention and respect as long as it can be sustained. This could turn into a really big deal.

Hopefully it turns heads of journalists and creates more interest and stories, but I'm skeptical that the fact gets much notice from readers. The only reason I say that is because the only time I remember hearing about Kansas' winning streak was when it was brought up here in a few discussions about how we would have the longest streak if they lost. I'm quite sure I've seen and heard Kansas' streak mentioned numerous times, but it just didn't register significantly. So I ask, are people really taking note of it? Aren't we suffering from wishful thinking?

I'm just saying, interest is good, recognition is good, respect is good, but I'm skeptical that no matter how many wins are racked up and no matter how long the streak gets, and no matter how much press the Zip's get, you still gotta win the MAC tourney to get the bid. :/

Hopefully it turns heads of journalists and creates more interest and stories, but I'm skeptical that the fact gets much notice from readers. The only reason I say that is because the only time I remember hearing about Kansas' winning streak was when it was brought up here in a few discussions about how we would have the longest streak if they lost. I'm quite sure I've seen and heard Kansas' streak mentioned numerous times, but it just didn't register significantly. So I ask, are people really taking note of it? Aren't we suffering from wishful thinking?

I'm just saying, interest is good, recognition is good, respect is good, but I'm skeptical that no matter how many wins are racked up and no matter how long the streak gets, and no matter how much press the Zip's get, you still gotta win the MAC tourney to get the bid. :/

Saw on twitter, as it stands right now, Akron is two spots from the "last 4 in". If we keep winning and would happen to slip up in the MAC-C, an at large is looking more and more likely. People arent going to take notice when a school like Kansas has the longest winning streak in the nation, because its expected. When a school not mainstream is the hottest team in the nation, I think people are going to take notice.

Tonight there was yet another example of how a conference-leading powerhouse can be upset by a conference cellar-dweller. TCU, 0-8 in the Big 12 entering tonight's game, just upset mighty Kansas, 62-55. As much as we Zips fans all cringed at how the our team struggled against CMU, the fact that the Zips won is way better than what's happening to leaders in other conferences.