VCU Vs. Akron

lance99

SHAKA - I'm not usually an "old school" type, but if you're willing to accept running it up in any sport I believe you should also expect to see the other team fight back at times in any way they can. What do you think a John Chaney team would have done being down by 40 with the opponent still pressing and shooting 3's? In my opinion, it would have been perfectly justified if Tree or Zeke had thrown a good elbow into one of the Ram cutters to send a message at that point. And yes, that's not just playing a "big boy" game, it's playing a man's game.

Great point JZ. One of the Zips should have sent one of the Rams into the stands/ended his night, then walk by Shaka and say, "Call off the dogs or it won't be the last." The problem is the Zips never find themselves in that type of position so they don't know how to handle it so the coach needs to remind the players of the obligations to the program.

• Replies 536
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The reality is simple. VCU out athleted the Zips. Michigan out athleted VCU.

The Big Ten has better athletes than does the A-10.

The A-10 has better athletes than the MAC.

p.s. district baller, sorry pal, you have worn out your welcome here.

Actually no, I just got a PM from one of your moderators saying to ignore some of 'your more obnoxious fans who have no idea what class is'.

GoZips, I remember you well from your earliest days of beating your chest about Akron on our boards, your shtick is played out. Sorry.

wow, disappointing to see some of the comments towards a poster who has always been cordial and encouraging. I don't recall Akron easing up on Ohio in any of their match ups this year, I'm not mad at the Zips for running up the score, I'm mad at the Bobcats for not playing well enough to win. You can't blame VCU for doing what they are supposed to do. This is the big leagues.

like Reggie Keely said- Mans game and frosted tips don't mix.

wow, disappointing to see some of the comments towards a poster who has always been cordial and encouraging. I don't recall Akron easing up on Ohio in any of their match ups this year, I'm not mad at the Zips for running up the score, I'm mad at the Bobcats for not playing well enough to win. You can't blame VCU for doing what they are supposed to do. This is the big leagues.

Really? Name one time when Akron ran up the score on OU? It was a 12 point game with about 5 minutes left.

Tell me how my bleep tastes!

Your coach is a d-bag.

The fouls were called today, they were not on Thursday.

Michigan did kill you. VCU ran up the score on us. Big difference!

Take your big boy basketball pants and get off our board. Go commiserate elsewhere.

Quit being a sore loser. It makes the whole fanbase look bad.

And running up the score is okay? Some things in sports just shouldn't be done. At the end of the day things in sports come full circle and VCU got what they deserved.

I dont care what happened to VCU today. I am talking about our game. As I pointed out before, and which will probably be ignored again, VCU's last starter scored with 9 minutes left. They still pressed? So what? What if a key player was injured. You need the back ups to step in and not miss a beat (maybe KD could take note).

Would any of our fans complain if KD beat them by 40? Hell no. Do you guys think VCU was really 40 points better than us? If no, then some of the blame has to go on KD for not having the team prepared.

That's because the refs set the tone of the game early on. VCU didn't even try to trap MU in the backcourt after they got into foul trouble.

Believe me, as a Zips fan, I'd love to be able to buy into an officiating conspiracy. But I just didn't see it. The numbers don't support it either. In the Zips game, the refs called the 1st foul against VCU at 19:45 and the 4th foul at 14:57. In today's game, they called the 1st foul against VCU at 19:34 and the 4th foul at 16:47 -- not much difference. Maybe if HS Stripes watched both games he'll check in and give his perspective from someone with an officiating background.

whaaa?

While I don't believe in an officiating conspiracy, something Districtballer said at least conjures images of an NCAA conspiracy. We know that VCU was the worst possible matchup for the Zips in the tournament because of our guard shortage. Districtballer pointed out that Michigan was the worst possible matchup for VCU because Michigan is best in the country at guarding the ball. So what the NCAA set up in that little 4-team corner of the South Regional was first one mid-major (VCU) most likely to take out another mid-major (Zips), and then another matchup (Michigan vs. VCU) most likely to knock out another mid-major. Could be pure coincidence, but still good fodder for conspiracy theorists. Whether by chance or design, it does point out that some teams end up with easier paths to the title than others, and the paths may be completely different for teams with different strengths and weaknesses. Tournament seedings produce an interesting study in rock-paper-scissors.

While I don't believe in an officiating conspiracy, something Districtballer said at least conjures images of an NCAA conspiracy. We know that VCU was the worst possible matchup for the Zips in the tournament because of our guard shortage. Districtballer pointed out that Michigan was the worst possible matchup for VCU because Michigan is best in the country at guarding the ball. So what the NCAA set up in that little 4-team corner of the South Regional was first one mid-major (VCU) most likely to take out another mid-major (Zips), and then another matchup (Michigan vs. VCU) most likely to knock out another mid-major. Could be pure coincidence, but still good fodder for conspiracy theorists. Whether by chance or design, it does point out that some teams end up with easier paths to the title than others, and the paths may be completely different for teams with different strengths and weaknesses. Tournament seedings produce an interesting study in rock-paper-scissors.

CBS said that Akron was originally set to play Kansas St but they swaped the Zips out for a play in game of Boise/La Salle so that Akron could be closer to home. As much as I appreciate them moving the game from Kansas City to Aurburn Hills, I would have taken the better matchup over location.

CBS said that Akron was originally set to play Kansas St but they swaped the Zips out for a play in game of Boise/La Salle so that Akron could be closer to home. As much as I appreciate them moving the game from Kansas City to Aurburn Hills, I would have taken the better matchup over location.

I don't buy it. The committee doesn't give a single sh!t about whether a 12-seed plays close to home. They probably saw the potential to match Dambrot and Shaka, and just like ESPN with the Bracketbusters, they giggled to themselves at how clever they were for creating a storyline.

The LaSalle/Boise winner needed to go to a site that played Fri/Sun, which would have been the only reason they would have switched us if that really is the case.

I thought it was funny how Louisville got the #1 overall and they played in Lexington. Kansas got the 2 over all and they payed in Kansas City. And so on down the line for seeds 2 3 and even some fours. Such as Ohio State got to play in Dayton. There is no such thing as number one overall in my mind. Its all about location and whats going to bring in the most money.

I thought it was funny how Louisville got the #1 overall and they played in Lexington. Kansas got the 2 over all and they payed in Kansas City. And so on down the line for seeds 2 3 and even some fours. Such as Ohio State got to play in Dayton. There is no such thing as number one overall in my mind. Its all about location and whats going to bring in the most money.

That is a product of the pod system, which tries to keep the higher seeds close to home. It's been around for about a decade now.

In regards to VCU's play yesterday I believe their poor play had a lot to do with a lack of execution and not Michigan being more athletic than VCU.

and do I fault VCU for running up the score on us? hell no

The regular season is over. This is tournament play. This time of year coaches teach their teams how to play in one 1 gear. = Full Throttle to the end.

You can't hate on that and if you do, you are a sore loser.

Wow.

Yeah, no kidding. Sports, and bad losses in particular, have a tendency to bring out people's more "passionate" side. I don't even know how to address someone calling coach Smart a d-bag and implying that it was the refs that gave us a beating on Thursday and not the Rams, so I'll just add a +1 to Buckzip's "wow".

I've never cared about running up the score. There's an easy way to prevent it... play better. I suppose everyone whining about the "classless" (a word that's overused to the point of abuse, and only ever uttered by the classiest of sports fans I'm sure) decisions of Coach Smart will be petitioning the NCAA to institute a little-league style mercy rule immediately, right?

It was a great season and we had a great team, we just drew an opponent who clearly demonstrated just how much certain factors and matchups can impact a game. If we have our point guard, if the refs were more whistle happy, etc., etc.... we know we're capable of playing competitively with them, it was done a year ago. Then as someone else mentioned, the same thing happened to VCU in the second round. Michigan was able to overcome their greatest strength with effort to spare and it turned them into an entirely different team where they had to compete from a position of weakness. I honestly don't think we'd have lost to Michigan by 25 if the matchup had been switched yesterday afternoon. Them's the breaks.

I'm disappointed, but I fully EXPECT to return to the tournament next year... so that's what I'm focused on.

Believe me, as a Zips fan, I'd love to be able to buy into an officiating conspiracy. But I just didn't see it. The numbers don't support it either. In the Zips game, the refs called the 1st foul against VCU at 19:45 and the 4th foul at 14:57. In today's game, they called the 1st foul against VCU at 19:34 and the 4th foul at 16:47 -- not much difference. Maybe if HS Stripes watched both games he'll check in and give his perspective from someone with an officiating background.

Due to traveling on business, I saw only the last 15 min. of the Zips game on Thursday and was only able to duck in and out of the VCU-UM game on Saturday.

Before the game, I opined that Akron could be no more than -7 or -8 in TOs and needed to be at least +7 or +8 in rebounds. As I look at the stat sheet, they were -16 in TOs and, even worse, -5 in rebounds. Add in a few more ugly stats -- 58% shooting from the line, 8% shooting from behind the arc, a total of 5 assists and only 2 steals -- and this one was a lost cause from the outset.

The box scores of the two games indicate that one official, Mike Whitehead (Big 12 & MVC), worked both games. The other two in the Zips game were Duke Edsall (C-USA and Big 12) and Jeff Smith (America East and Horizon). The other two in the UM game were Chris Rastatter (Pac 12 and Big Sky) and Mike Reed (Pac 12 and Mtn. West).

A total of 12 fouls were called on Akron vs. 17 on VCU, although I get the impression from other posts that VCU could have been called for many more. As a point of comparison, VCU also was called for more fouls in the UM game (14-7).

VCU definitely will grab as much as they're permitted. I have a fundamental disagreement with some of my brethren about this. The general consensus is to try to talk the players out of this and call it only when it directly affects a scoring play; otherwise, the general mindset is that "these are big boys who should be allowed to play." I'm of the opinion that it leads to bigger problems (i.e., more flagrant holding and retaliation), so it should be nipped in the bud early in a game.