Would You Welcome Abreu back?

UAZip0510

Abreu: Yes or No?  

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its going to be a black-eye for the University no matter what the circumstances are if he comes back. He would probably have to be PROVEN squeaky clean in the situation (which I dont see any possible way that can happen), not just a plea deal and/or a slap on the wrist for a first time offender. He just happens to be friends (was this kid even a student) with some 18 year old living miles south of campus, and not only friends, but happens to be at his house when a 5 pound package of marijuana arrives? :rolleyes:

Its a tough loss, but I try to put morals over the want to win at all costs.

I am a firm believer in the concept of hate the sin, but love the sinner. With that said he still has to pay a price for this if he is guilty. Part of that is losing his chance to play basketball for the Zips. If it comes out that he was just an innocent bystander he should be back on the team. From what I'm hearing that's not the case. :(

Only under certain conditions. First, he has to be proven totally innocent in court. I don't want him back if he's found guilty but gets probation instead of jail.

Second, he would have to pay his own way. We've already moved on in terms of scholarships.

Third, he has to come off the bench. Nyles Evans or Melo need to be the starter next year and beyond.

Yes, though it's still so early. He's not even had his day in court yet, so rejoining the team is still way down the road for him. Coach Dambrot has had a few good quotes on this, but I like this the best:

“I am going to stick behind him. It is my obligation to stick behind him and get him through his difficult times. Nobody knows better than me that people make mistakes. If anybody can forgive him, it’s going to be me.”

If he did come back, can you imagine the chants at OU? He deserves that punishment.

I am a firm believer in the concept of hate the sin, but love the sinner. With that said he still has to pay a price for this if he is guilty. Part of that is losing his chance to play basketball for the Zips. If it comes out that he was just an innocent bystander he should be back on the team. From what I'm hearing that's not the case. :(
I'm with Hilltopper on this one. I'm willing to forgive, as long as a proper and honest apology is issued. I'm guessing his mistake will cost him a chance to ever play at Akron again, so voting on it seems pretty futile. I wish him luck with his future decisions in life. On to football season.

When I see the question, "Would you welcome Abreu back?", I think, to what?

I don't know if he will ever play basketball for the Zips or not. This is a hard thing to come back from. If he did come back and play, I assume he would be on good standing with the University and team, so yes, I would welcome him back.

At the end of the day, AA was/is a Zip regardless of whether or not he ever plays again. If there is a 10 year reunion for a MAC Championship team or something like that, I would welcome him back to that as well. He would deserve the recognition as being part of that team. He was a part of this year's team and deserves a ring just like a guy who sat on the bench for the entire season. If a baseball player gets traded from a team that wins the World Series, he gets a championship ring even though he didn't play in the WS. Same idea to me.

When I see the question, "Would you welcome Abreu back?", I think, to what?

I don't know if he will ever play basketball for the Zips or not. This is a hard thing to come back from. If he did come back and play, I assume he would be on good standing with the University and team, so yes, I would welcome him back.

At the end of the day, AA was/is a Zip regardless of whether or not he ever plays again. If there is a 10 year reunion for a MAC Championship team or something like that, I would welcome him back to that as well. He would deserve the recognition as being part of that team. He was a part of this year's team and deserves a ring just like a guy who sat on the bench for the entire season. If a baseball player gets traded from a team that wins the World Series, he gets a championship ring even though he didn't play in the WS. Same idea to me.

I agree, however, if the festivities are scheduled to run from let's say 6 to 11pm, AA has to leave at 10:30.

If there is a 10 year reunion for a MAC Championship team or something like that, I would welcome him back to that as well.

I'm wondering just how that would look, compared to that debacle that OSWho just tried to pull off, where the ex-players carried Jim T. around the football field to cheers from their robotic fans for their 10-year championship anniversary.

My guess is, AA would be coming back 10 years after his embarrassing exit, so fewer people would probably mind. But if someone's "indiscretions" were very recent (see Ohio State debacle), I would hope that our school would show a lot more class and not allow something like that to taint a celebration.

I'm wondering just how that would look, compared to that debacle that OSWho just tried to pull off, where the ex-players carried Jim T. around the football field to cheers from their robotic fans for their 10-year championship anniversary.

My guess is, AA would be coming back 10 years after his embarrassing exit, so fewer people would probably mind. But if someone's "indiscretions" were very recent (see Ohio State debacle), I would hope that our school would show a lot more class and not allow something like that to taint a celebration.

A MAC championship and a national championship arent comparable.