• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Should we read anything into it?

No.

1: he's an incoming freshman...how could he be privey to this knowledge.

2: Bowden has a 5-year, $2 million contract. They wouldn't have dedicated the resources if they did not intend on keeping bowden those 5 years and not offer an extension granted the team improves, which it most certainly will).

No.

1: he's an incoming freshman...how could he be privey to this knowledge.

2: Bowden has a 5-year, $2 million contract. They wouldn't have dedicated the resources if they did not intend on keeping bowden those 5 years and not offer an extension granted the team improves, which it most certainly will).

Thank You.

But what it probably does show is the impact that Jim Tressel can have on the campus and using his name and influence to attract people to campus. How can that be a bad thing? Do you think those kids care about what happened in the past? No, they see a coach from a former national champion who is interested in them. Anyone still think it was a bad hire by the University? Combine that with Terry Bowden being your head coach and I can see why kids get excited.

But what it probably does show is the impact that Jim Tressel can have on the campus and using his name and influence to attract people to campus. How can that be a bad thing? Do you think those kids care about what happened in the past? No, they see a coach from a former national champion who is interested in them. Anyone still think it was a bad hire by the University? Combine that with Terry Bowden being your head coach and I can see why kids get excited.

Spot on.

Bowden was a Great hire and the fact that Tressel is affiliated with the program will do wonders for recruiting. At least if Bowden decides to leave we are not stuck without an interim coach. Tressel could step right in Things are looking up

Go Zips

I agree with your first point. Tressel is to football, what Lebron is to basketball. Aside from the fact that Tressel actually works with UA and helps in his VP role. Both bring credibility to a school that helps us gain attention. Both have sparked much debate among fans if they are really needed or if they do enough. The way I see it neither one needs UA. They chose to associate themselves with us.

Having said that I don't ever see a scenario where Tressel is UA's football coach. Once he decides to return to coaching plenty of big time programs will be there for him to pick from.

I agree with your first point. Tressel is to football, what Lebron is to basketball. Aside from the fact that Tressel actually works with UA and helps in his VP role. Both bring credibility to a school that helps us gain attention. Both have sparked much debate among fans if they are really needed or if they do enough. The way I see it neither one needs UA. They chose to associate themselves with us.

Great post.

Having said that I don't ever see a scenario where Tressel is UA's football coach. Once he decides to return to coaching plenty of big time programs will be there for him to pick from.

I dont think that he would go to a big school. I think he would stay right here. Jim Tressel's name means more to Ohio kids than it does anywhere else. He isn't stupid. If Bowden turned this program around and left for greener pastures he knows that he could step right in and recruit extremely good talent from day one.

Anyone still think it was a bad hire by the University?

Can we wait to see if any of his involvement results in anything meaningful? I'm missing the connection between success and his involvement. We are still sitting at three wins in three years. When that changes and there is a connection between his involvement and the success of the program beyond him being an employee of the University, I'll be open minded. Until then...I'm going to stick with he was a desperate hire by a desperate Proenza, and hires based upon desperation don't work out well.

So far, it seems as if people badly want to give him credit for anything good that happens at the University regardless of involvement. It doesn't make sense to me. But then again, a lot of what has gone on with the University in recent years is beginning to make less and less sense to me.

With your bias, no. You called it a bad hire before he worked a day on campus. Apparently it is his responsibility to win football games now.

I'm still not 100% certain what his responsibility is.

He seems to help with recruiting some football players. That's good if the players he feels are worth his time to help recruit influence the program in a winning manner.

I also understand it is part of his responsibility to help draw people to the University. After all, I'm told his name would be a huge draw. Especially huge draw for kids from Ohio. As a point of fact, enrollment is down.

Again, I'm totally open minded about it. I hope he helps recruit kids who lead the Zips to one MAC Championship after another. We'll see. I hope his involvement, at the cost of $200K per year, increases student enrollment. Doesn't seem like it is happening. Maybe the data just isn't clear yet. In time(hopefully in the next 2-3 years), we will know what we are getting for $200K per year.

... So far, it seems as if people badly want to give him credit for anything good that happens at the University regardless of involvement. ...

Likewise, it seems as if others badly want to deny him credit for anything good that happens at the University regardless of involvement. Like you, I'm willing to wait for definitive proof before reaching a definitive conclusion. In the meantime it's fair to discuss what appears might be happening. I think it's fair to say that some comments will be fairer than others.