Bowden Says JAR Needs Replaced

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

D.I.G. - I realize your concern, however our radio men would understand the move and mid court on the track or in one of the corners isn't that bad a seat...especially if it's free. Moving them allows some boosters who who would be willing to pay to sit there and possibly some other boosters who would purchase seats in floor rows 2,3 and 4 and if there isn't an ample supply of paying boosters having some boisterous students down on the floor is better than the current arrangement.

Hopefully someone can figure out how to get seats into the floor corners matching the elevation of the lower bowl seats and someone at UA can figure out how to pay for that improvement.

I'm thrilled to hear ALL lower bowl seats are sold out, I have a hard time believing it but I like hearing it. I suggest that when some boosters are not going to use their seats they would voluntarily turn them back into the ticket office and they could be sold and utilized. Good seats being empty is demoralizing even if they're paid for. Let's get creative and ask ticketholders to simply email the ticket office the day of the game stating they can not attend. Print temp tickets and get them down to the window where Joe Akron could buy them.

@taxpayer, I can tell you from personal experience that the track gets pretty congested at times. I can't imagine the traffic jams that would be created by having media tables and chairs set up at mid-court on that narrow track, especially at halftime. I really doubt that would get the fire marshal's approval. I do like your idea about encouraging season ticketholders to turn in tickets for games they don't plan to attend so that they can be resold and the lower seats filled.

DIG - I to have enjoyed sitting at track level, bad doesn't describe it. My thought was to have the "track" or access from the rear. The corridors would be behind the seats not IN FRONT of them. If this could be accomplished and the seats were actually seats as opposed to bleachers the comfort factor and overall improvement to the gameday fan experience would be well worth the cost IMO.

As far as relocating the media, there is plenty of space in the four track level corners for them. I'd guess the Zips media attendance at 8 or fewer. From what I've seen the last 3 or 4 years, there is plenty of room to accomodate the media masses should it ever become an issue.

It's all about revenue generation and IMPROVING the fan experience. The JAR does provide an adequate lockerroom, nice lounge, a good floor and average lighting. The trainers room and fan seating is prehistoric as we are all too aware of.

I suggest that when some boosters are not going to use their seats they would voluntarily turn them back into the ticket office and they could be sold and utilized. Good seats being empty is demoralizing even if they're paid for. Let's get creative and ask ticketholders to simply email the ticket office the day of the game stating they can not attend. Print temp tickets and get them down to the window where Joe Akron could buy them.

This is a major problem that has always needed a solution. I don't know the answer, but someone has to be able to figure it out. I think it's embarrassing that on an average game night, there are several hundred no-shows in the most visible part of the arena.

This is a major problem that has always needed a solution. I don't know the answer, but someone has to be able to figure it out. I think it's embarrassing that on an average game night, there are several hundred no-shows in the most visible part of the arena.

A simple ticket exchange and upgrade program would work. Just have to make ticket holders aware of it.

If a ticket holder is not able to show for a game, they could re-sell it through the athletics department. The seller could get a small credit that can get cashed in at the team shop or used to buy more tickets. But this only solves the problem with actual people that hold season tickets. For corporate ticketholders that hand out tickets to people who never show up, another solution is needed. If a ticket is not redeemed by the 8th-minute media timeout (8 minutes remaining in the first half), then fans can purchase a cheap upgrade to their seats at half time, and watch the second half in a nice chair close to the court instead of from the bleachers or behind a railing/walkway.

A simple ticket exchange and upgrade program would work. Just have to make ticket holders aware of it.

If a ticket holder is not able to show for a game, they could re-sell it through the athletics department. The seller could get a small credit that can get cashed in at the team shop or used to buy more tickets. But this only solves the problem with actual people that hold season tickets. For corporate ticketholders that hand out tickets to people who never show up, another solution is needed. If a ticket is not redeemed by the 8th-minute media timeout (8 minutes remaining in the first half), then fans can purchase a cheap upgrade to their seats at half time, and watch the second half in a nice chair close to the court instead of from the bleachers or behind a railing/walkway.

They have a ticket exchange program although I don't think many people use it. http://zipsnation.org/forums//index.php?sh...0&hl=ticket

I know I haven't taken the time to try to post any tickets I can't use yet, but I don't sit in the lower bowl.

Just an example:

I have a client that has 4 tickets at his company. Last year, they used them about 4 times.

Makes me sick. All those empty seats in areas where we have the ability to generate so much noise.

A ticket exchange isn't needed, there are plenty of tickets available. The problem is that there is no demand. This is a program that offers up free student tickets, and plays a fairly lackluster schedule. If they ever win in the NCAA tournament, or play an attractive schedule outside of the MAC at home, people will notice and pay to come..... they have never done either. I wish they would, but I have been waiting a long time.

Morris - thanks for the insight. We know there are tickets available; the point of a ticket exchange program is that "good" seats don't go empty. As far as the NCAA, last years team was positioned to provide Zips Nation with the coveted NCAA tournament win until AA chose cash over ethics and responsibility and others were sick, injured or both during the most important time of the year. Other than AA, it was out of anyone's ability to control.

The OCC has been getting better in recent years but we've all got to be realistic. No top 20 team is coming to the JAR voluntarily. From 20 to 40 they don't want to come either as it's a no win situation for them. Win and the critics tell them they should have and if they lose to us it would be considered a bad loss regardless if we are moving up. Most top 20 programs don't even want to schedule us in their arena for the above arena. So what's left? Keep trying to find someone to venture into the JAR who is a top 40 program consistently, agree to play a top 10 program in their building and attempt to keep getting invited to the preseason tournaments like Puerto Rico last year and this years tournament and win. Again, last year if we have Tree we beat Oklahoma State. Quite frankly, we had the ball for the last shot of the game and AA dribbled away the clock and we didn't even get a good shot at the end. We were shorthanded in overtime as Zeke fouled out leaving us with no bigs. Win that game and we are in the winners bracket with a shot to win the tournament. The ending of that game was the biggest disappointment of the season until the events just prior to senior night.

The Zips performance in the MAC tourney was an amazing accomplishment considering what the players were dealing with. Best example of willpower overcoming adversity in a very long time.

Back on subject Morris, how do you propose the Zips overcome the OCC issue enough to get you to spend $10?

If an new arena is to be built, it will not be by the city in any way.

I spoke with Bruce Kilby(Ward 2 Councilman) at Square Fest today and here is what he told me(paraphrasing):

The city is not even considering it right now. The city is a Billion dollars(and yes he said that) in debt and it is not even being discussed.

I am thinking that the University would have to build it, or they go to the State Board of Regents and beg for the money.

If an new arena is to be built, it will not be by the city in any way.

I spoke with Bruce Kilby(Ward 2 Councilman) at Square Fest today and here is what he told me(paraphrasing):

The city is not even considering it right now. The city is a Billion dollars(and yes he said that) in debt and it is not even being discussed.

I am thinking that the University would have to build it, or they go to the State Board of Regents and beg for the money.

With all due respect, consider the source on that one. Kilby is kind of a nut and an outsider to the Don and his boys. There are ways the city can help beyond direct compensation also, as I don't doubt finances are still in poor shape.

If you do some reading on municipal debt levels, you'll find that Akron's debt load is generally considered to be "moderate," and the city has "A" ratings from credit rating services like Moody's. All cities get things done through borrowing. It just has to be done intelligently, in moderation and with a viable longterm plan to pay off the debt. Akron has and continues to do that. A billion dollars sounds like a lot, but it's not an unreasonable debt load for a city like Akron.

If you do some reading on municipal debt levels, you'll find that Akron's debt load is generally considered to be "moderate," and the city has "A" ratings from credit rating services like Moody's. All cities get things done through borrowing. It just has to be done intelligently, in moderation and with a viable longterm plan to pay off the debt. Akron has and continues to do that. A billion dollars sounds like a lot, but it's not an unreasonable debt load for a city like Akron.

Dave,

I agree, however, I believe this only because I had no camera involved because of low battery life and it was on the record(because I asked before hand). You can say all that you want about getting re-elected, but he was honest with me and I have to take it at face value at this time. IMO, the city has no desire to build an arena, therefore, the University or the State has to step to the plate on this.

@lance99, I'm not trying to dump on you. I appreciate what you posted. I believe that Akron's current total debt load probably is much closer to $1 billion than $80 million. With a population of about 200k, $1 billion in debt works out to about $5k debt per citizen. There's obviously more to it than that. But $5k per citizen is not out of line as long as the local economy can support it. A lot of the debt is in infrastructure, such as water mains, etc., that comes back in property taxes.

Different politicians will tell you different things. Extreme liberals might say you can never borrow too much and extreme conservatives might say that not taking on debt of any kind is God's 11th commandment for which there wasn't room on the stone tablets that Moses brought down from Mount Sinai. All I'm saying is that the answer is somewhere in between. If a good financial case could be made for a new arena, the City of Akron could reasonably take on that debt. If the financial case is not there, the prudent thing is not to take the risk.