Summer Camp 2013

johnnyzip84

Just a little FYI: I didn't even mention where Cody played high school football in my original story. Here's the dilemma: while some mistakes do get in the paper, there are at least two editors looking at copy. When writing on deadline, that's a necessity. No one is perfect and I certainly strive for perfection, but if certain members of this community feel as if they can do a better job, you're welcome to apply for it.

As for making mistakes here? Seriously? When I bother to reply, I'm typing off the top of my head. For those who can't handle that, there's a simple solution.

I certainly appreciate your reports, but please stop typing off the top of your head because your editors aren't doing a very good job.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me explain. I'm not grandstanding. I used to have a great deal of respect for print journalism, and in the ABJ we had one of the best, if not the very best, mid-size daily paper in the country. (Full disclosure: My father was an editor there for 40 years.) The people at the ABJ took tremendous pride in their work, and it showed. I have had 3-4 interactions with Mr. Thomas wherein I have pointed out interesting stories that haven't been reported, and his reply has always been, essentially, "Hey, I do what I do and go home. I don't do any more than they ask of me or pay me for." I also have heard him openly criticize MAC sports and UA and imply that he feels this beat is beneath him as a "professional journalist." Well, the effort he puts into this beat is pretty obvious to me - perhaps because I'm a sports journalism junkie - but many of you are willing to settle for anything he dishes up simply because UA hasn't garnered much attention in the past. The fact the he's not even proofing his own copy before posting blogs or articles on Ohio.com tells me he really doesn't care about the quality of his work. So it's not intended as grandstanding - I'm simply decrying the continued lowering of standards caused by lazy writers.

Last I will say on this topic.

Rule No. 1: Be your own best editor.

Rule No. 2: Have an editor look at your work. Whether you realize it with what we are expected to do now, we don't have the staff to read everything.

Bottom line: you have an issue with me, email.

As for blocking people on Twitter, guilty. But here is the reality: you have to be pretty damn rude before I block you.

Lastly, in this media environment nothing is beneath me. I'm lucky to have a job. However, if you expect someone to live and breathe sports 24/7, that is not who I am.

You claim to have "heard me." By all means, consider this an invitation to abandon your anonymity and talk to me face to face. You know, like an adult.

I expected to see more of the incoming transfer OL's atop this early depth chart? I wonder if this will change over the next 10 days?

Also - odd not to hear Drew Phillips mentioned in the Bowden video as one of the potential return men. I have to believe they give him a shot at the job?

I expected to see more of the incoming transfer OL's atop this early depth chart? I wonder if this will change over the next 10 days?

Also - odd not to hear Drew Phillips mentioned in the Bowden video as one of the potential return men. I have to believe they give him a shot at the job?

I believe today was the last day for acclimation for him. He was running in athletic gear only along with C.J. Mizell.

"I hate typing with portable devices."

I fully expect to see some changes closer to the break of camp. The lineup looks very similar to last years, which disappoints me a little. I was hoping that all of the new talent would upgrade some positions rather than just provide depth.

I appreciate your work on all Zips related information. I'm sure there are MANY fans that don't post that feel the same. The few that can't look passed minor mistakes, unfortunately are the ones that post. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

See George, even doctors make mistakes. ;)

And I agree with the good Doctor, thank you for the good work you do.

PD's EA on Summer Camp

Close your eyes, jupitertoo.

Defensively, the Zips are getting some seasoned transfer help. Good news came this week that C.J. Miles has completed his junior college work and was on the field Tuesday. The former Washington State starter will be a welcome addition as a linebacker. He will be playing behind C.J. Jones, a transfer defensive end from Colorado State.

:rofl:

Also from Elton's article:

"Can't State: Credit the Golden Flashes with taking advantage of just about every break they had in an 11-3 season in 2012. But head coach first-year head coach Paul Haynes is experienced enough to know that the breaks that fall your way one season can change in the next."

:lol:

On a serious note, Elton also reports what GT tweeted, that Kyle Pohl seems to be separating himself as the #1 QB.

Btw, has anyone heard anything about Thomas Woodson?

Also from Elton's article:

"Can't State: Credit the Golden Flashes with taking advantage of just about every break they had in an 11-3 season in 2012. But head coach first-year head coach Paul Haynes is experienced enough to know that the breaks that fall your way one season can change in the next."

:lol:

On a serious note, Elton also reports what GT tweeted, that Kyle Pohl seems to be separating himself as the #1 QB.

Btw, has anyone heard anything about Thomas Woodson?

Actually, he's looked good in limited work...

Actually, he's looked good in limited work...

Thanks George for doing what you do. I logged on to read about the Zips summer camp and saw all these posts by others criticizing minute, unimportant things. I enjoy reading your articles everyday because it's good to see Zips coverage in abundance over OSU coverage for a change.

Seriously everyone? Can we just keep this post to "ZIPS FOOTBALL; SUMMER CAMP" please? I would greatly appreciate it! I'm tired of reading through a million nonsense messages from someone who's gotten their underwear in a bunch. I'd rather read about the Zips Summer Camp. If you want to complain about GT than go create a post under the random section and express your opinions there, where no one will read them or care about them.

I got on here today to see more camp updates, but then stumbled upon GT posts. I'm not going to lie. At first, I thought "GT covering Akron sports. Great :rolleyes: ." But as the stories and coverage that GT started doing from the beginning, I can't be more pleased than I am right now.

Thank you GT for all the in-depth Zips' news.

Any news on how Pratt has looked? Is Ericksen getting any reps?

The returning players have a leg up on knowing the playbook, and the coaches will put the players that execute plays properly ahead of those who don't during camp, as an example. Talent will win out when determining who will play in an actual game.

Also, one thing to consider is that, with the exception of CJ James on the D Line, none of the transfers were consistent starters on their previous teams. They're either MAC level players that preferred to ride the bench at a big school early in their careers but now want a shot at playing time, or they're injury riddled and won't be able to provide major minutes all season. Still, the depth that these players provide is invaluable to a team that wore down quickly last season.

According to @ZipsFB only one afternoon practice today (Wed 8/14).

George writes about time spent on the kicking game.

Kick and punting teams were far from special for the University of Akron last season, and that’s a situation that has become a priority for Zips coach Terry Bowden to fix during fall training camp.The Zips were last in kick return average last season in the Mid-America Conference with 16.6 yards per return average. One issue was finding a player who could return the ball consistently. Nearly two weeks into this camp, Bowden said that he believes he has found his guy in senior defensive back Malachi Freeman.
Read the article to learn who else might help out eventually.

Coach is cold in August. :D

asked the @zipsfb twitter account if practice was open to the public today, and if so, what time. The account has been in use since then, but no response. Was hoping to check the team out today

I am curious myself. Probably the only day this week that I could sneak over there.