Pitt hopes to upgrade schedule

Captain Kangaroo

Didn't Pitt lose to cupcake Youngstown State a few years ago?

Personally I don't think FBS schools should ever play FCS schools. I get that the money helps their football program, but is it really beneficial to the FBS school? I'd much rather them schedule an exhibition game or something as a tune-up for the season, similar to basketball.

Personally I don't think FBS schools should ever play FCS schools. I get that the money helps their football program, but is it really beneficial to the FBS school? I'd much rather them schedule an exhibition game or something as a tune-up for the season, similar to basketball.

I agree. However, exhibition games aren't the answer. They already have those with the IAA schools. The answer is to make them actually play 12 games against IA schools.

It's been a long time since 1976 and I am sure a lot of Pitt fans have been longing for a return to relevance for a long time. I think they are probably going in the right direction after the dumpster fire depths the program sunk to after the firing of Wannstedt. I don't see anything offensive in the article at all. Because they play in the weak ACC with a lot of conference foes that don't move the needle at all they need to find a way to schedule non-conference home games versus opponents that entice fans to come to the stadium. They are in a pickle because they have little chance of beating most interesting foes.

Good realistic piece if you ask me. If Akron was in the same position we would all be commenting on it by saying amen.

Truth is, Akron is a cupcake and until Akron rises up and beats someone they "shouldn't" beat, they will continue to wear the cupcake label. We've earned the tag folks. I don't know why we get so upset about it sometimes. We have been playing Division I football since my freshman year and after all that time we have never had enough success for one head coach to ever leave for a better job. Every one was fired. Think about that for a minute.

What is important to me is that Coach Bowden is leading the Zips out of the bottom of the D-1 barrel. Hopefully he will get the program to the point where we can be legitimately pissed off about being marginalized in an article on a biased fan website. Until then, we are what they think we are.

It ain't easy being a Zips fan.

It's been a long time since 1976 and I am sure a lot of Pitt fans have been longing for a return to relevance for a long time. I think they are probably going in the right direction after the dumpster fire depths the program sunk to after the firing of Wannstedt. I don't see anything offensive in the article at all. Because they play in the weak ACC with a lot of conference foes that don't move the needle at all they need to find a way to schedule non-conference home games versus opponents that entice fans to come to the stadium. They are in a pickle because they have little chance of beating most interesting foes.

Good realistic piece if you ask me. If Akron was in the same position we would all be commenting on it by saying amen.

Truth is, Akron is a cupcake and until Akron rises up and beats someone they "shouldn't" beat, they will continue to wear the cupcake label. We've earned the tag folks. I don't know why we get so upset about it sometimes. We have been playing Division I football since my freshman year and after all that time we have never had enough success for one head coach to ever leave for a better job. Every one was fired. Think about that for a minute.

What is important to me is that Coach Bowden is leading the Zips out of the bottom of the D-1 barrel. Hopefully he will get the program to the point where we can be legitimately pissed off about being marginalized in an article on a biased fan website. Until then, we are what they think we are.

It ain't easy being a Zips fan.

It isn't difficult, either. While I agree that until the hiring of Terry Bowden the Zips never had a true Division 1-A coaching

staff, the Zips have had some wins over teams they had no business beating. Beating Syracuse 42-28 in their house was

no mean feat. Oh, and that did lead to a coach getting fired (theirs). And the knock down of North Carolina State was one

sweet win. The Wolfpack soldiered on that season beating the likes of Florida State and Boston College after losing to the Zips.

While I agree that until the hiring of Terry Bowden the Zips never had a true Division 1-A coaching

staff,

Disagree. While I agree think the coaching staff from last year was the best ever because of experience, there were a couple not far behind. The 1987 staff was young, but had some really good coaches on in. Included in that staff were current secondary coach Mike Woodford and Indianapolis Colts offensive line coach Hal Hunter. Coach Carr later went on to coach for several NFL teams as well. The DC and OC from that season had high level D1 coaching also.

JDs first staff was very good also.

Mark your calendars for September 27th. We need to pick a spot for the Lot 9'ers. I'll probably hit the Rivers Friday night and stay in town.

Most definitely. I'll probably be staying with family Friday night, but will be planning to tailgate as early as we can get in. I'm looking forward to this one as much as any game next year. Hope it's far more enjoyable than that 35-0 drubbing in a rainy Pitt Stadium back in the late 90's.

• 4 weeks later...