CiT First Round: Akron @ IPFW Mastadons

GJGood

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

UA needs to realize QUICKLY that top 100 recurits do not want to play football up north. Too cold, lack of competition, and the SEC will rule football for a while. Focus on basketball like Memphis, Drake, WSU(no football team since the 1970 crash) are doing. Football is a cash cow for the schools when the team is GOOD. Akron football will never be good folks, that's just fact. The MAC conference is like Conference USA or the American Conferece, struggling football, great track teams, great/good basketball.

And now look at our postseason (and regular season) history before KD. Let me know what you find. Be careful what you wish for people…….

Not picking on you a-zip, but I read this over and over at ZN, I can't figure out what one has to do with the other? Fans should not want more success now because Coleman Crawford was a bad coach then? Ridiculous. I want to win an NCAA tournament game, like OU, Ken+, Miami, EMU...how hard is that? Nobody is suggesting firing KD, but he NEEDS to change something up. We say "think bigger", but we continue to think and do the same. I fear the same thread at the end of next year.

Resources, schmeesources. We just got our butts whipped by a no-name team boasting a 324 lb center that plays in a Division 5 high school gym. Resources are just a great excuse.

The Zips had fewer resources (no players lounge, dedicated training facility, etc.) when we won our NIT games.

What I take out of this edition of the Zips is: KD felt he maxed-out what he could get from the "under-recruited, over-achiever" kids. The "team" type, unselfish, defense-first, step slow, inch-or-two-too-short, saavy four-year guys like Middleton, Roberts, McNees, McKnights, Travis/Joyce etc. He upped the anty with players much more athletic, but with baggage and/or a higher risk.

He took-in multiple transfers and non-qualifiers. And we're also hearing of giving troubled talent a "second (third?) chance."

And I was on-board with it. By no means am I pointing fingers at the coach. It was worth a shot. But now is the time to re-re-evaluate the plan.

Maybe we've already seen the re-re-evaluation, and Plan #3 began last season. Harkening back to the mid-2000's, Big Dog, Cheatum, Gladden and Jackson are 4-year kids. But maybe due to our our sustained success, they are higher-level 4-year recruits that we could have attracted back in the early KD days. Maybe that works?

We need a 2014-15 point guard in the worst way. If it weren't for the Zips being "my team" it would be comical to watch Betancourt drive to the hole for a wide-open layup, then whip the ball God-knows-where instead of taking the easy bucket. During the MAC tournament previews, they showed old clips of Abreu and McNees scoring big basket after big basket. It almost made me cry. To have a point guard that is ZERO threat to score just can't be acceptable any longer. Look how the IPFW guards tore our @ss up from the 3-point line while we were relegated to 2's.

BTW - Evans is little more than a more-often-cold-than-hot, streaky 3-point shooter, so he's not the answer at the point. Or anywhere else.

Talent got this team 21 wins this season. But it wasn't pretty basketball...smart basketball...unselfish basketball...cleverly-strategic basketball...all the things you need beyond raw talent...it just wasn't there this year.

The good news is - we have everyone but Diggs returning next year. The bad news is - we have everyone but Diggs returning next year.

Oh the good old Crawford/Hipsher argument!

KD has been with the program for 10 years now. He is signed for another 10 years ahead. Coleman Crawford and Dan Hipsher did not have that luxury and job security.
KD is making $400,000 + winning incentives!!!!! That is more than the salaries of Crawford/Hipsher and his whole coaching staff combined.

Do you still think it is a fair comparison?

Just the facts...

Postseason summary over the last 10 years:

2005: None

2006: NIT (W 80-73 OT vs Temple) (L 60-71 to Creighton)

2007: None

2008: NIT (W 65-60 OT vs Florida State) (L 63-68 to U Mass)

2009: NCAA (L 64-77 to Gonzaga)

2010: CBI (L 66-70 to Green Bay)

2011: NCAA (L 56-69 to Notre Dame)

2012: NIT (L 74-76 to Northwestern)

2013: NCAA (L 42-88 to VCU)

2014: CIT (L 91-97 to IPFW)

CIT: 0-1

CBI: 0-1

NIT: 2-3

NCAA: 0-3

Last win: 2008

Those 2006 and 2007 years still stick with me. 2007 may have been the best team of the KD era, and they just got robbed of the chance of doing anything in the postseason. In 2006 the old boys club NIT committee let us in but stacked it against with putting our first two games within 45 hours of each other and in Philadelphia and Omaha. Not many teams would stand much chance in that scenario.

I honestly think McAdams will be the "factor" next year. He recently showed that he can be more than just a 3 point shooter. Improving his ability to drive to the basket and defense will be key. I was just thinking, I never really saw him at the free throw line this year.

Carmello can only get better. We've all seen the improvement.

Tree needs to work on ball handling, and free throws.

Im not really sure if Big Dog needs to lose weight, but he defiently needs to improve his jump shot, and post moves.

2015 looks alright

all i know is that the zips haven't won a post season game in 6 years...it just chaps my ass to see other teams garner attention by either a nice sweet 16 run or even a single win & we can't even win a CIT game....and especially when i think it can be done here...

I still believe it will happen some day.

I wont look a gift horse in the mouth. I'm satisfied with the consistently winning seasons, and would rather be rooting for this team than anyone else in the MAC.
The post season success, when it happens, will be bonus.

I saw Kieth in October and got to shake his hand and wish him luck for the season.
If I saw him today I'd shake his hand and thank him for this season.
I wouldn't want anyone else where he is.

... Here is the part I'm sure we'll hear from the 'Practice Preachers' at the beginning of next season. If BJ shows any signs of what he did in the last month of practice, we should be excited. CT he can play the 1,2, and 3, but sees him at the 3 spot. CT says he guards Tree in practice. He is special when he has the ball. He will be special, not just in the MAC, but in the nation. ...

Practice Preachers -- love that label! Everyone bow your heads and start praying for next season's team. :lol: Hard to top Charles Thomas' sermon. Everyone should have high expectations for BJ. He was the most highly recruited player of the 4 freshmen, with interest and offers from the likes of Tennessee, Wake Forest, VCU and Xavier. But high expectations shouldn't be confused with unrealistic expectations. He's not likely to be a starter from game one, lead the Zips in statistical categories or contend for MAC POY in his freshman season. He'll make freshman mistakes, especially early in the season. It's not unrealistic, however, to expect him to be a strong contender for the MAC All-Freshman Team.

BJ was described by one recruiting service as an undersized power forward for D-I college level. He played the 3 in HS and drove to the rim like a wing but crashed the boards like a 4. This season the Zips outrebounded their opponents by only 1.4 per game compared with 5.5 last season -- big difference. The Zips need more rebounding from all positions, and BJ could help make a difference regardless of what position he plays. On the roster BJ's now listed at 6-6, 215 pounds. He guards Tree in practice but can play the 1, 2 or 3, which makes him a candidate to assume part-time PG duties previously held by Q.

There are lower expectations for Aaron because he was not as highly recruited. The hope is that he's one of those diamonds in the rough with a chip on his shoulder to prove that he belongs. You can't always accurately measure how a player will perform under game conditions by how they look in practice. But you can clearly see attitude, determination, intensity and motor in practice. Aaron has all those. We'll see if these two redshirt freshmen live up to realistic expectations.

Not picking on you a-zip, but I read this over and over at ZN, I can't figure out what one has to do with the other? Fans should not want more success now because Coleman Crawford was a bad coach then? Ridiculous. I want to win an NCAA tournament game, like OU, Ken+, Miami, EMU...how hard is that? Nobody is suggesting firing KD, but he NEEDS to change something up. We say "think bigger", but we continue to think and do the same. I fear the same thread at the end of next year.

What it has to do with is the fact that KD is coaching/recruiting and winning with the same facilities, lame fan base, and same conference as these other coaches had and is consistently producing a winner that actually GETS to post season play and wins MAC Championships……did any of these other coaches do this (for that matter, any other coach at any school in the MAC)? Our win totals over the past years put us in elite company. KD has recruited some great players (and even brought the highest ranked recruit the MAC has ever had). Regarding recruiting, I do believe he is still bringing in quality (4 year) players. In order to make the jump we are all looking for, you may have to take some risks…I am not aware of a bunch of Zeke Marshall's ********* recruits lined up to play at a half filled JAR.

I also read the same bitching about our coaches on ZN over and over. Early in TB's career here and this season people were questioning him. People also questioned JE and soccer early on. Things turned out just fine for both teams. You talk about "we" need to start thinking bigger…..what does that mean? Until a fan base supports the school that fills the JAR, Infocision, etc - where does the money come from to "think bigger". He is making the most out of the cards he has been dealt…..happy to have him. Not picking on you but what does thinking bigger mean to you?

Regarding recruiting, I do believe he is still bringing in quality (4 year) players.

You talk about "we" need to start thinking bigger…..what does that mean?

You are correct. He does bring in good recruits. That isn't the problem. The problem becomes the glacier like way the recruits develop over four years. I can't think of a single player under his term that took a big jump from year one to year two, the most critical year for development. If there is one, good for you for thinking of that person.

Thinking bigger is, in my mind, perfectly fits what this program needs to do. DiG made a good point the other night. KD is about defensive basketball. If that is who you are, then be who you are and be really good at it. Surround yourself with people who can fit within what you want to do, but bring in a few fresh ideas to compliment your style. Changing the people can change how players hear the same message. Specifically, the coaching staff is stale. Too many guys who have been around too long. I know this sounds harsh, but that has to get cleaned up. It might be good for us AND them. UofA isn't a place for an assistant to linger. Guys who linger too long, IMO, tend to be on the lazy side in terms of their career. If they are lazy about their career, there is a good chance they might be lazy in other areas.

There are some more things he can do, but there isn't enough time. The arena, Joe Akron, etc., that is out of KD's control. He needs to get back to who he is and surround himself with different voices and ideas.

You are correct. He does bring in good recruits. That isn't the problem. The problem becomes the glacier like way the recruits develop over four years. I can't think of a single player under his term that took a big jump from year one to year two, the most critical year for development. If there is one, good for you for thinking of that person.

Tree comes to mind, though he may be the exception. My opinion tends to lean to put most of the blame on KD. The players are at fault to an extent, but it is his job to develop, motivate, and bring the talent he has assembled to play together as a team. Someone's player development I'm really disappointed in is Harney's. I just see so much potential in him, but he lets me down every season. He did win us a pretty big game playing out of position at PG though, so I'll give him credit for that.

I honestly think McAdams will be the "factor" next year. He recently showed that he can be more than just a 3 point shooter. Improving his ability to drive to the basket and defense will be key. I was just thinking, I never really saw him at the free throw line this year.

Carmello can only get better. We've all seen the improvement.

Tree needs to work on ball handling, and free throws.

Im not really sure if Big Dog needs to lose weight, but he defiently needs to improve his jump shot, and post moves.

2015 looks alright

Big Dog hits the weights. .. Look out he has game

So a team we beat (was it by double digits)? Last year in the Bracketbusters is now about to knockoff 5 seed Oklahoma.They play in the crap Summit league (the same league as IPFW). I just don't understand why we are not able to take the next step....

win an NCAA tournament game, like OU, Ken+, Miami, EMU...how hard is that?...especially with the competition in our conference recently.

Very hard, especially when you play in a shitty conference and wind up getting a 12+ seed. The odds say you are going to lose…. just ask Western Michigan :chair: .

Coach Dambrot highlights below (to include assistant's success and player development in blue….Linhart not in there but he was a great one who also developed under KD). Again, all I am saying is he is doing the best he can with the cards he has been dealt. Unless you know of a surplus of cash to bring in top assistants, I would say the assistants he has and has had are pretty damn good. Is there room for improvement, yes……I am confident KD will reflect and take care of things.

Dambrot wasted no time putting his stamp on the program and has led Akron to the postseason in six-straight and seven of the last eight seasons – participating in the NCAA Tournament in 2009, 2011 and 2013, the National Invitation Tournament in 2006, 2008 and 2012, and the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) in 2010.

His success ranks the Zips with some of the top programs in the nation. Akron is one of only six teams in the country to win at least 22 games in each of the past eight seasons, joining the likes of Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh. UA leads the Mid-American Conference in overall wins since the start of the 2004-05 season (210) and is the only team in the league, and one of 15 nationally, to post at least 20 wins in each of the past eight seasons.

Dambrot's streak of eight-straight 20-win seasons is tied for the ninth-longest stretch by an active coach to do so all with the same program and is tied for the 12th-longest run in the nation among active coaches overall.

Dambrot has led Akron to the MAC Tournament title game in each of the last seven years, the longest streak in league history and the second-longest active run in the nation.

In his nine seasons in charge of the program, Akron has amassed a 210-94 (.691) overall record, including a 107-41 mark in MAC play and a 119-18 tally in home games (64-10 in MAC play). Akron's 210 victories are tied for the 27th-most nationally during the past nine seasons.

In 15 seasons as a collegiate head coach he owns a 318-164 (.660) overall record. Dambrot enters the season in fourth place in MAC history with a .642 win percentage while coaching in the league (230-128 overall; 210-94 Akron, 20-34 Central Michigan), fourth in overall wins (210), fifth in league games winning percentage (.643, 117-65) and seventh in conference wins (117).

In 2013, Dambrot was named the MAC Coach of the Year and the Red Auerbach Coach of the year, as well as a finalist for the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year award (national COY) and the Hugh Durham Award, which recognizes the nation's top mid-major coach.

Mentoring a total of 27 All-MAC honorees, 13 MAC All-Tournament team selections, three MAC Sixth Man of the Year honors, four MAC Defensive Players of the Year, three MAC tournament MVPs and one MAC player of the year award has highlighted his time at UA. Also during his watch, 10 players have been added to the school's 1,000-point scorer's list, he coached the all-time blocked shots leader for Akron and the MAC (Zeke Marshall, 368), Akron's all-time assists leader (Dru Joyce, 503), all-time winningest player (Chris McKnight, 97 victories over a four-season span) and all-time games played leaders (Steve McNees and Nikola Cvetinovic, 141).

In 2010, Dambrot was inducted into the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame for his contributions at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, and at The University of Akron as both a student-athlete and head coach.

NATIONAL EXPOSURE

The University has increased its footprint on the national level under Dambrot. On the heels of the nation's-best 19-game winning streak during the 2012-13 campaign, the Zips earned the No. 24 ranking in the Feb. 25 USA TODAY Coaches Poll, the first national ranking in program history. UA also received a program-best 43 votes in the AP Poll that week.

The Zips have gained the attention of the national pollsters on five separate occasions prior to 2013, including the Nov. 9, 2012, and Nov. 12, 2007, AP Polls, and the 2003-04 preseason, Nov. 18, 2003, 1985-86 final coaches polls. Additionally, UA has closed out six of the last eight campaigns ranked in the final CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25.

Akron continues to play in a number of nationally televised games and has finished inside the RPI Top-100 in the last two seasons, including a program-best 48th in 2012-13. The program has not been afraid to compete against teams from the ACC, Big East, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12, A-10, MWC, MVC and WAC. In 2013, the Zips will play in its second-consecutive ESPN-hosted tournament, the 2013 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic, after playing in the 2012 Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

With Dambrot in charge, the program tallied its first-ever victories over schools from the Atlantic Coast Conference (at Florida State in the 2008 NIT) and Southeastern Conference (versus Mississippi State during the 2005-06 regular season at the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico).

THE DAMBROT ERA HIGHLIGHTS

After guiding the Zips to a 19-10 record in the 2004-05 season, the program finished the 2005-06 campaign with a 23-10 mark, which at the time was the most wins in the program's Division I era, and also notched the school's first D-I postseason victory – an 80-73 overtime win at Temple in the opening round of the NIT. UA also posted a 13-0 mark at Rhodes Arena that year, and extended its win streak at home to 18 games, which ranked as the third-longest nationally at the time.

In 2006-07, Dambrot led Akron to a school-record tying 26-7 mark (1971-72 team went 26-5) and its first MAC East Division title since 1998. Additionally, the program made its first-ever appearance in the MAC tournament championship game, falling 53-52 on a 3-point buzzer-beater. The Zips ran their win streak at home to 21 games, with a 73-71 loss to top-25 ranked Nevada blemishing what was the fourth-best streak nationally at the time. UA ended the campaign 13-1 at Rhodes Arena.

Senior forward Romeo Travis capped off his career by being selected as an Honorable Mention All-American by the Associated Press – the first Zips cager to do so since 1989. Travis was also honored as the MAC Player of the Year, the first in the history of the UA program, and was named to the all-league first team, MAC All-Tournament Team and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 10 Second Team for the second-straight season.

In 2007-08, Dambrot and the Zips provided their fan base with another year filled with excitement and milestones, ending the season with a 24-11 record and an 11-5 finish in league play. UA again advanced to the MAC tournament title game. For the second time in three seasons, the Zips made their way to the second round of the NIT – this time knocking off Florida State 65-60 in OT in the opening round. That was the program's first-ever victory over a school from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Zips lost 68-63 to eventual NIT runner-up Massachusetts in the second round.

Dambrot's 2008-09 squad went 23-13 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament after winning its first-ever MAC Tournament championship against Buffalo. The Zips earned a No. 13 seed in the NCAA Tournament and fell to Gonzaga in the first round, 77-64, after leading with just over nine minutes to play. Competing in 36 overall games, it was the longest season in program history.

During the 2009-10 season, Dambrot's squad went 24-11 and made its fourth-straight appearance in the MAC Title Game. The Zips made their third-consecutive postseason appearance and fourth in five years, playing in the College Basketball Invitational game for the first time.

The 2010-11 season saw many ups and downs, but the result was the same as the 2008-09 season. The Zips, 12-10 at one point in the season, won eight-straight games and 12 of their last 15 to win the MAC title for the second time in three seasons and advance to the program's third NCAA Tournament. With a 23-13 record, Akron faced Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament as the No. 15 seed. The Zips fell 69-56 to the Fighting Irish.

The 2011-12 campaign was a season of firsts as the Zips won their first MAC regular season title and became the first league team to play in six-straight conference tournament title games. Akron advanced to its third NIT under Dambrot after falling in the MAC Title Game by a single point. Dambrot also became the first Akron coach to be named to the NABC all-district list, earning co-district coach of the year honors.

In addition to the program's first national ranking and a program-best finish in the RPI standings during the 2012-13 campaign, Dambrot's Zips tied the program record with 26 wins (26-7), posted the nation's longest winning streak (19-straight) and the best start to league play in MAC history (13-0), won its second-straight MAC regular season title, posted a 19-point win over Ohio in the MAC title game and earned a program-best No. 12 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

CAREER COACHING EXPERIENCE

Dambrot received his M.B.A from Akron in 1984 while serving as a graduate assistant under former men's basketball coach Bob Rupert.

After two years as a graduate assistant, he moved up to a full-time role with the Zips for one season, before taking the head coaching job at Tiffin. In his second season there (1985-86), he led the Dragons to the most single-season wins in school history (24).

In 1986, he made his first venture into the MAC, starting a three-year run as an assistant coach at Eastern Michigan and worked alongside then head coach Ben Braun (who served as head coach at California and is now at Rice). In 1988, the Hurons won their first-ever MAC championship and made their first NCAA Tournament appearance.

Dambrot returned to northeast Ohio in 1989 as head coach at Ashland, where, in two years, he led the Eagles to a 48-13 overall mark, two final national rankings and their first-ever conference and regional championships.

In 1991, he returned to the MAC and took on his first Division I head coaching role at Central Michigan. His 1992 recruiting class was ranked 15th in the nation by Hoop Scoop Magazine and he led the Chippewas to a 20-34 record in his two seasons.

THE DAMBROT COACHING TREE

A key part to Keith Dambrot's success has come from the knowledge and expertise of his coaching staff. Comprised primarily of former players, both from Akron and his previous coaching stops, Dambrot's current staff includes five former players, including Zips' assistant coaches Terry Weigand (Tiffin, 1985-86), Rick McFadden (Akron, 2003-05) and Charles Thomas (Eastern Michigan, 1987-89).

Former assistant coaches under Dambrot have also had success after leaving Akron, including the appointments of Lamont Paris (2004-10) and Jeff Boals (2006-09) to positions with Big 10 programs Wisconsin and Ohio State respectively.

Shaka Smart, a Dambrot assistant from 2003-06, made stops at Clemson (2006-08) and Florida (2008-09) before taking his first head coach position at VCU in 2009. Smart went on to lead VCU to the 2011 Final Four.

So a team we beat (was it by double digits)? Last year in the Bracketbusters is now about to knockoff 5 seed Oklahoma.They play in the crap Summit league (the same league as IPFW). I just don't understand why we are not able to take the next step....

Following through on that, #12 seed NDSU did upset #5 seed Oklahoma. That's the same NDSU that IPFW beat earlier this season and lost to by just 3 points in the Summit League championship game. Anyone who thought that IPFW was a pushover team that the Zips should have blown out was not doing an objective analysis. More objective oddsmakers made the Zips 2.5-point underdogs in this game for a good reason.

What it has to do with is the fact that KD is coaching/recruiting and winning with the same facilities, lame fan base, and same conference as these other coaches had and is consistently producing a winner that actually GETS to post season play and wins MAC Championships……did any of these other coaches do this (for that matter, any other coach at any school in the MAC)? Our win totals over the past years put us in elite company. KD has recruited some great players (and even brought the highest ranked recruit the MAC has ever had). Regarding recruiting, I do believe he is still bringing in quality (4 year) players. In order to make the jump we are all looking for, you may have to take some risks…I am not aware of a bunch of Zeke Marshall's ********* recruits lined up to play at a half filled JAR.

I also read the same bitching about our coaches on ZN over and over. Early in TB's career here and this season people were questioning him. People also questioned JE and soccer early on. Things turned out just fine for both teams. You talk about "we" need to start thinking bigger…..what does that mean? Until a fan base supports the school that fills the JAR, Infocision, etc - where does the money come from to "think bigger". He is making the most out of the cards he has been dealt…..happy to have him. Not picking on you but what does thinking bigger mean to you?

This would surprise players such as George Gervin, Wally Z, Ron Harper, Gary Trent, Colin irish and others whose accomplishments in the MAC far exceed Zeke's. Heck, Ohio had a freshman in the early 70s who was the cover story on Sports Illustrated before he even played a game. So while a given ranking service might not have existed back when these players came in, they were MUCH bigger "gets" than Zeke, whose development I think we can all agree wasn't quite what many expected over his four years. No question that he became a good player but his impact on the team was less than even Tree's impact this year, and we have seen that his career prospects aren't quite what anyone might have predicted four years ago.

Very hard, especially when you play in a shitty conference and wind up getting a 12+ seed. The odds say you are going to lose…. just ask Western Michigan :chair: .

Coach Dambrot highlights below (to include assistant's success and player development in blue….Linhart not in there but he was a great one who also developed under KD). Again, all I am saying is he is doing the best he can with the cards he has been dealt. Unless you know of a surplus of cash to bring in top assistants, I would say the assistants he has and has had are pretty damn good. Is there room for improvement, yes……I am confident KD will reflect and take care of things.

Dambrot wasted no time putting his stamp on the program and has led Akron to the postseason in six-straight and seven of the last eight seasons – participating in the NCAA Tournament in 2009, 2011 and 2013, the National Invitation Tournament in 2006, 2008 and 2012, and the College Basketball Invitational (CBI) in 2010.

His success ranks the Zips with some of the top programs in the nation. Akron is one of only six teams in the country to win at least 22 games in each of the past eight seasons, joining the likes of Duke, Gonzaga, Kansas, Ohio State and Pittsburgh. UA leads the Mid-American Conference in overall wins since the start of the 2004-05 season (210) and is the only team in the league, and one of 15 nationally, to post at least 20 wins in each of the past eight seasons.

Dambrot's streak of eight-straight 20-win seasons is tied for the ninth-longest stretch by an active coach to do so all with the same program and is tied for the 12th-longest run in the nation among active coaches overall.

Dambrot has led Akron to the MAC Tournament title game in each of the last seven years, the longest streak in league history and the second-longest active run in the nation.

In his nine seasons in charge of the program, Akron has amassed a 210-94 (.691) overall record, including a 107-41 mark in MAC play and a 119-18 tally in home games (64-10 in MAC play). Akron's 210 victories are tied for the 27th-most nationally during the past nine seasons.

In 15 seasons as a collegiate head coach he owns a 318-164 (.660) overall record. Dambrot enters the season in fourth place in MAC history with a .642 win percentage while coaching in the league (230-128 overall; 210-94 Akron, 20-34 Central Michigan), fourth in overall wins (210), fifth in league games winning percentage (.643, 117-65) and seventh in conference wins (117).

In 2013, Dambrot was named the MAC Coach of the Year and the Red Auerbach Coach of the year, as well as a finalist for the Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year award (national COY) and the Hugh Durham Award, which recognizes the nation's top mid-major coach.

Mentoring a total of 27 All-MAC honorees, 13 MAC All-Tournament team selections, three MAC Sixth Man of the Year honors, four MAC Defensive Players of the Year, three MAC tournament MVPs and one MAC player of the year award has highlighted his time at UA. Also during his watch, 10 players have been added to the school's 1,000-point scorer's list, he coached the all-time blocked shots leader for Akron and the MAC (Zeke Marshall, 368), Akron's all-time assists leader (Dru Joyce, 503), all-time winningest player (Chris McKnight, 97 victories over a four-season span) and all-time games played leaders (Steve McNees and Nikola Cvetinovic, 141).

In 2010, Dambrot was inducted into the Summit County Sports Hall of Fame for his contributions at Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary High School, and at The University of Akron as both a student-athlete and head coach.

NATIONAL EXPOSURE

The University has increased its footprint on the national level under Dambrot. On the heels of the nation's-best 19-game winning streak during the 2012-13 campaign, the Zips earned the No. 24 ranking in the Feb. 25 USA TODAY Coaches Poll, the first national ranking in program history. UA also received a program-best 43 votes in the AP Poll that week.

The Zips have gained the attention of the national pollsters on five separate occasions prior to 2013, including the Nov. 9, 2012, and Nov. 12, 2007, AP Polls, and the 2003-04 preseason, Nov. 18, 2003, 1985-86 final coaches polls. Additionally, UA has closed out six of the last eight campaigns ranked in the final CollegeInsider.com Mid-Major Top 25.

Akron continues to play in a number of nationally televised games and has finished inside the RPI Top-100 in the last two seasons, including a program-best 48th in 2012-13. The program has not been afraid to compete against teams from the ACC, Big East, SEC, Pac-12, Big 12, A-10, MWC, MVC and WAC. In 2013, the Zips will play in its second-consecutive ESPN-hosted tournament, the 2013 Hawaiian Airlines Diamond Head Classic, after playing in the 2012 Puerto Rico Tip-Off.

With Dambrot in charge, the program tallied its first-ever victories over schools from the Atlantic Coast Conference (at Florida State in the 2008 NIT) and Southeastern Conference (versus Mississippi State during the 2005-06 regular season at the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico).

THE DAMBROT ERA HIGHLIGHTS

After guiding the Zips to a 19-10 record in the 2004-05 season, the program finished the 2005-06 campaign with a 23-10 mark, which at the time was the most wins in the program's Division I era, and also notched the school's first D-I postseason victory – an 80-73 overtime win at Temple in the opening round of the NIT. UA also posted a 13-0 mark at Rhodes Arena that year, and extended its win streak at home to 18 games, which ranked as the third-longest nationally at the time.

In 2006-07, Dambrot led Akron to a school-record tying 26-7 mark (1971-72 team went 26-5) and its first MAC East Division title since 1998. Additionally, the program made its first-ever appearance in the MAC tournament championship game, falling 53-52 on a 3-point buzzer-beater. The Zips ran their win streak at home to 21 games, with a 73-71 loss to top-25 ranked Nevada blemishing what was the fourth-best streak nationally at the time. UA ended the campaign 13-1 at Rhodes Arena.

Senior forward Romeo Travis capped off his career by being selected as an Honorable Mention All-American by the Associated Press – the first Zips cager to do so since 1989. Travis was also honored as the MAC Player of the Year, the first in the history of the UA program, and was named to the all-league first team, MAC All-Tournament Team and National Association of Basketball Coaches (NABC) All-District 10 Second Team for the second-straight season.

In 2007-08, Dambrot and the Zips provided their fan base with another year filled with excitement and milestones, ending the season with a 24-11 record and an 11-5 finish in league play. UA again advanced to the MAC tournament title game. For the second time in three seasons, the Zips made their way to the second round of the NIT – this time knocking off Florida State 65-60 in OT in the opening round. That was the program's first-ever victory over a school from the Atlantic Coast Conference. The Zips lost 68-63 to eventual NIT runner-up Massachusetts in the second round.

Dambrot's 2008-09 squad went 23-13 and advanced to the NCAA Tournament after winning its first-ever MAC Tournament championship against Buffalo. The Zips earned a No. 13 seed in the NCAA Tournament and fell to Gonzaga in the first round, 77-64, after leading with just over nine minutes to play. Competing in 36 overall games, it was the longest season in program history.

During the 2009-10 season, Dambrot's squad went 24-11 and made its fourth-straight appearance in the MAC Title Game. The Zips made their third-consecutive postseason appearance and fourth in five years, playing in the College Basketball Invitational game for the first time.

The 2010-11 season saw many ups and downs, but the result was the same as the 2008-09 season. The Zips, 12-10 at one point in the season, won eight-straight games and 12 of their last 15 to win the MAC title for the second time in three seasons and advance to the program's third NCAA Tournament. With a 23-13 record, Akron faced Notre Dame in the second round of the NCAA Tournament as the No. 15 seed. The Zips fell 69-56 to the Fighting Irish.

The 2011-12 campaign was a season of firsts as the Zips won their first MAC regular season title and became the first league team to play in six-straight conference tournament title games. Akron advanced to its third NIT under Dambrot after falling in the MAC Title Game by a single point. Dambrot also became the first Akron coach to be named to the NABC all-district list, earning co-district coach of the year honors.

In addition to the program's first national ranking and a program-best finish in the RPI standings during the 2012-13 campaign, Dambrot's Zips tied the program record with 26 wins (26-7), posted the nation's longest winning streak (19-straight) and the best start to league play in MAC history (13-0), won its second-straight MAC regular season title, posted a 19-point win over Ohio in the MAC title game and earned a program-best No. 12 seed in the 2013 NCAA Tournament.

CAREER COACHING EXPERIENCE

Dambrot received his M.B.A from Akron in 1984 while serving as a graduate assistant under former men's basketball coach Bob Rupert.

After two years as a graduate assistant, he moved up to a full-time role with the Zips for one season, before taking the head coaching job at Tiffin. In his second season there (1985-86), he led the Dragons to the most single-season wins in school history (24).

In 1986, he made his first venture into the MAC, starting a three-year run as an assistant coach at Eastern Michigan and worked alongside then head coach Ben Braun (who served as head coach at California and is now at Rice). In 1988, the Hurons won their first-ever MAC championship and made their first NCAA Tournament appearance.

Dambrot returned to northeast Ohio in 1989 as head coach at Ashland, where, in two years, he led the Eagles to a 48-13 overall mark, two final national rankings and their first-ever conference and regional championships.

In 1991, he returned to the MAC and took on his first Division I head coaching role at Central Michigan. His 1992 recruiting class was ranked 15th in the nation by Hoop Scoop Magazine and he led the Chippewas to a 20-34 record in his two seasons.

THE DAMBROT COACHING TREE

A key part to Keith Dambrot's success has come from the knowledge and expertise of his coaching staff. Comprised primarily of former players, both from Akron and his previous coaching stops, Dambrot's current staff includes five former players, including Zips' assistant coaches Terry Weigand (Tiffin, 1985-86), Rick McFadden (Akron, 2003-05) and Charles Thomas (Eastern Michigan, 1987-89).

Former assistant coaches under Dambrot have also had success after leaving Akron, including the appointments of Lamont Paris (2004-10) and Jeff Boals (2006-09) to positions with Big 10 programs Wisconsin and Ohio State respectively.

Shaka Smart, a Dambrot assistant from 2003-06, made stops at Clemson (2006-08) and Florida (2008-09) before taking his first head coach position at VCU in 2009. Smart went on to lead VCU to the 2011 Final Four.

you forgot ZERO ncaa tourney wins....

All of his accomplishments are best in the MAC. We know we've been the best in the MAC. Think bigger.

OK, I've got that… But what does that mean? You guys are missing my point, which is……..with the resources KD has, he is doing a great job and making the most out of what he has. So when you KEEP SAYING "Think Bigger" are you talking about KD, the AD, the fan base…….who?

AD - give KD a bigger budget to attract better quality assistants? Build a new arena?

Joe Akron - get your ass to the games so the school sees there is interest and a new arena is warranted? So recruits really want to come here?

Look at Akron soccer….the support is the best in the country. Guess what, we compete on a national level, win championships, attract the best recruits, get the best coaches. Why? Because of a rabid fan base and support.

We need to attract better recruits and keep the good coaches we have….period. We are getting MAC recruits right now and doing very well with them.

"It aint about the Xs and Os, it is all about the Jimmys and Joes" - Bobby Bowden