Jim Christian leaving Athens?

GJGood

JC is an east coast guy. Played at BU and RI. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Christian

In all seriousness, is this enough along with all the mediocrity to hire him for an ACC job?

Wake Forest is offering Danny Manning a job. He played at Kansas and coached at Tulsa. Great guy to attract better talent to a program that once had much better talent playing for it. Calipari seems to be doing well at Kentucky. Lots of guys do well at places without being from those places. I'm not sure why that weighs so heavy in the minds of ADs. Maybe I'm just easily confused by the decisions of ADs.

Hearing a lot surprised OU fans I know complaining about JC and how quick he left. I, for one, am not surprised and fully expected him to leave rather quickly. All you have to do is look at his track record, this isn't the first time he has done this. I do have to admit it caught me off guard that it is BC that he left for though considering he didn't really accomplish that much at OU given their talent level and especially didn't do much at TCU.

We at Akron are extremely lucky that we have a head coach that really wants to be where he is and is not likely to go anywhere else. You never know what would happen if a school threw a ton of $$$ at him but I don't see that happening anytime real soon.

Anybody think Geno Ford would be interested in returning to the MAC to coach at his alma mater all while trying to stick it to his former employer? OU hired a former coach of our arch rival last time, could it happen again? if so, he may be a guy that would stick around there for a while, although that is hard to say with any certainty.

Man are things falling apart at OU. Jon Smith quits the team just before the CIT. Their coach leaves to take a job at a middling ACC program. Their top returning player is rumored to have one foot out the door. Their top incoming recruit has already asked to get out of his LOI.

Those of you who want to complain about KD need to keep this situation in mind. For all his flaws, he has brought a level of stability to this program that has allowed it the Zips to have a pretty nice level of success for the past decade. We are already starting to see what constant turnover at the head coaching position can do to you down the road at Can't, now it looks like OU is about to be in a similar (maybe even worse) position.

I missed the part about Jon Smith leaving the team. A quick search shows that Smith was pretty open about the fact that his sole reason for leaving the team was Jim Christian. From the comments in this story, it appears that Smith wasn't the only OU player unhappy with Christian. What a mess. If OU's AD doesn't pick the right coach this time around, their winning tradition in basketball could take the same kind of hit that's happened at Can't.

Quickzips, I think that recent discussions here have shown that even those who criticize Coach Dambrot for not accomplishing more do have an appreciation for him bringing stability to the Zips program at a consistent winning level. There seems to be general agreement among Zips fans that we appreciate what we have in the current basketball program but want to see it take the next step. Most of the criticism these days seems to be more directed at what Coach Dambrot can do to take that next step up of winning post-season tournament games.

Those of you who want to complain about KD need to keep this situation in mind. For all his flaws, he has brought a level of stability to this program that has allowed it the Zips to have a pretty nice level of success for the past decade. We are already starting to see what constant turnover at the head coaching position can do to you down the road at Can't, now it looks like OU is about to be in a similar (maybe even worse) position.

One has nothing to do with the other. It isn't an either/or situation, but an "and" situation. Those of us who complain want KD to stay AND do some things differently that will provide the Zips with more than just winning a lousy conference and first round destruction in post season play.

• Like 4

One has nothing to do with the other. It isn't an either/or situation, but an "and" situation. Those of us who complain want KD to stay AND do some things differently that will provide the Zips with more than just winning a lousy conference and first round destruction in post season play.

Thank You

I don't think QuickZips was saying that KD should be immune to criticism. I think the bigger point he was trying to express was how lucky we are to have an outstanding head coach who isn't looking to use us as a launching pad to another job in a few years. It helps the system, it helps the players, it helps recruiting - it's a luxury this program has that few others - in any - in the MAC have. We've seen Gary Waters, Stan Heath, Jim Christian (twice), Geno Ford, and John Groce all use their MAC success to bolt to other programs while Dambrot has stayed committed to the Zips and this program.

Again, it doesn't mean he's immune to criticism...but I do think it's something that isn't appreciated enough around here at times.

Basketball-wise it looks like a good hire. Ohio is a mess with regards to team chemistry and player attitudes, though, and I don't know if this coach can do anything to fix that except blow it up and start over with his own players.

I don't think this is true. Jon Smith bailed, but the rest of the team played pretty darn hard.