9100 Attendance

a-zip

regardless of the method (I'm sure zip trumpet is right), it is safe to assume that the same metric was used last year. As long as all things are consistent, its a 97% increase either way and still counts for something.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it a requirement that teams surpass 15k average once every 2 years? If that's the case last years numbers likely weren't inflated much, if at all, but the school would have needed to guarantee that they hit 15k+ this year.

regardless of the method (I'm sure zip trumpet is right), it is safe to assume that the same metric was used last year. As long as all things are consistent, its a 97% increase either way and still counts for something.

That's just it ... I don't think it's the same metric / or giveaway as the previous yr. this year I believe there was a massive alumni ticket giveaway-- what that amounted to is probably a big reason for such an incredible increase.

I know what I saw at the 2 games I went to-- I'm curious to know what the apples to apples increase was.... People in the stands - free or not - who showed up

Edited by morris buttermaker

Measure is tickets sold or actual home attendance.

Zips have consistantly used tickets sold.

The massive alumni give-away would only count if some one (alumni association or a sponsor) bought the tickets at at least 50% of face value.

I recall corporate sponsors buying blocks of tickets back in the 80's when we moved up. We have never averaged 17k actual butts in seats.

If I recall, back then, you could go with 17k home paid or 25k home and away. Which meant one game at Ohio State and you were good for 2 years.

There were 9,800 alumni tickets sent out for every game, so the announced total includes that number. My guy in the ticket office tells me that the following totals were what was actually in the stadium this season.

Pittsburgh, 10,389 actual, 21,840 announced = 11,451 fudge

Savannah State, 3,562 actual, 15,883 announced = 12,321 fudge

Ohio, 3,612 actual, 16,718 announced = 13,106 fudge

Central Michigan, 3,659 actual, 18,568 announced = 14,909 fudge

Buffalo, 2,458 actual, 15,162 announced = 12,704 fudge

Can't State, 4,240 actual, 16,134 announced = 11,814 fudge

As you can see, there is a wide variance between actual people in the stadium and the number of tickets they send out. On average its a fudge of 12,717 imaginary fans per game. Pretty depressing numbers. Hard to have any credibility when you are making stuff up like this. Even the Pitt game had more imaginary fans than real fans in the stadium.

After reading that article that Zippy5 posted, it kinda makes sense for BIG programs/Pro teams to report actual attendance. Why? Because there's a formula behind how much attendance affects concessions and merchandising sales. If people are not showing up, you need to know it so you can address it. 19,000 people not showing up to a Monday-night game in 2013 would be devastating to a program that is used to having no-show attendance of 3-4k. Since those people are "no-shows" that means they did buy a ticket right?

• 1 month later...

WalletHub’s number crunchers compared the 245 of the largest U.S. cities based on 18 key metrics, ranging from the number of NFL and college football teams to average ticket prices. Akron has the 107th ranked football fans. There are six MAC football cities ranked in the top 100. DeKalb, Bowling Green, Mt. Pleasant, Toledo, Buffalo, Athens, & Oxford.

4 hours ago, Dr Z said:

WalletHub’s number crunchers compared the 245 of the largest U.S. cities based on 18 key metrics, ranging from the number of NFL and college football teams to average ticket prices. Akron has the 107th ranked football fans. There are six MAC football cities ranked in the top 100. DeKalb, Bowling Green, Mt. Pleasant, Toledo, Buffalo, Athens, & Oxford.

With exception of Buffalo and Toledo all of those schools are in the middle of nowhere. I'm in Dekalb right now and there is not exactly a lot to do here on a Saturday.

On 12/21/2015 at 3:32 PM, TheGreatGazoo said:

There were 9,800 alumni tickets sent out for every game, so the announced total includes that number. My guy in the ticket office tells me that the following totals were what was actually in the stadium this season.

As you can see, there is a wide variance between actual people in the stadium and the number of tickets they send out. On average its a fudge of 12,717 imaginary fans per game. Pretty depressing numbers. Hard to have any credibility when you are making stuff up like this. Even the Pitt game had more imaginary fans than real fans in the stadium.

I was at that game and just from being on the Concourse(like everyone else due to the Monsoon), there was more than 10k at that game

On December 21, 2015 at 3:32 PM, TheGreatGazoo said:

Based on the "actual" attendance numbers listed here, if you combined all the actual butts in seats from the ENTIRE year - there would not be enough to fill the Info in a single game.

And people wonder why we don't get better recruits :wacko:

Edited by a-zip