Do they deserve attendance now!

a-zip

Anyone who is shocked that the Zips ONLY sold 9,000 tickets for the EASTERN MICHIGAN game is ...high on crack.

If anyone think a stadium is going to fill up just because the Zips beat a weak Pitt team to elevate its record to 2-2, that person is ...high on crack.

If anyone thinks decades-old attendance problems can be solved with a 3-2 record and wins over teams like EMU and Howard, that person is high on crack.

If someone thinks it is a better option hang around outdoors on a blustery, tent-uprooting 30 degree day than sit on a warm couch and watch a game on the couch on a 60" flat screen...that person is high on crack.

People want to plant a garden on Monday, and be eating tomatoes on Wednesday. It doesn't work that way.

The Zips have stunk for almost a decade. Spraying a little Glade in the bathroom after a 10-year long dump just doesn't cut it.

Zips need to keep winning. The schedule has never been more favorable. If Bowden takes care of business over the next 7 weeks, fans will come.

• Like 2

My friends and I went to the game Saturday, and though we're sad people don't attend, we're also happy. We're around people who care to watch a Zips FB game, and we have unlimited access to the bathroom, beer, other concessions etc. Couldn't be happier. Eventually, hopefully, other people will learn to appriciate Zips games the way that we do.

Until then, enjoy the ride :)

Yes it is. While I was going to Akron I worked as a server and had noon shifts that prevented me from going to the vast majority of the games. Thankfully that was during the ICoach years...I was a little bummed about not being able to go because I always had wanted to.

Most of the friends I had in college also worked on the weekends. I think this is actually true for most students at most colleges. UA's still a mostly commuter school. And if students are going to be living in those absolutely ridiculously over priced student apartments, they are going to have even more need to work on the weekend during game times.

In that case, I understand the lack of student attendance.

Throw yesterday out the window because the attendance was a joke, but...

I think the student section would LOOK a lot better if students were actually forced to sit in the section. A lot of students sit in the grass. The attendance still has a lot to improve on regardless, but it would look less putrid if we had tougher enforcement.

I think there were about 6 peolpe "sitting" in the grass and perhaps 20 standing across the end zone. I really don't see that making much of a difference in the student section, which btw, is multiple sections (10, I think counting, upper & lower)

Anyone who is shocked that the Zips ONLY sold 9,000 tickets for the EASTERN MICHIGAN game is ...high on crack.

If anyone think a stadium is going to fill up just because the Zips beat a weak Pitt team to elevate its record to 2-2, that person is ...high on crack.

If anyone thinks decades-old attendance problems can be solved with a 3-2 record and wins over teams like EMU and Howard, that person is high on crack.

If someone thinks it is a better option hang around outdoors on a blustery, tent-uprooting 30 degree day than sit on a warm couch and watch a game on the couch on a 60" flat screen...that person is high on crack.

People want to plant a garden on Monday, and be eating tomatoes on Wednesday. It doesn't work that way.

The Zips have stunk for almost a decade. Spraying a little Glade in the bathroom after a 10-year long dump just doesn't cut it.

Zips need to keep winning. The schedule has never been more favorable. If Bowden takes care of business over the next 7 weeks, fans will come.

CK, (edit) most of this may be true, yet you come to games. I come to games. Balsy attends games. Dr Z is there. ...etc. After a couple of games with iCoach, I quit coming because I couldn't stand it for myself or the players. (edit: Just looking at iCoach or TW made me almost pop a blood vessel. I quickly recognized it wasn't good for my health.) I still bought season tickets to support my team. It sucked to spend money and not be there, but I knew one day someone would :john: iCoach. I had the pride to support the program. Students get in free. Come to a game if you're not working. If it sucks, leave. But show some damn pride in your school. Winning takes effort of those on the field, but it also takes effort of those who attend and have graduated from Akron to support their team.

EDIT: Attending football games is also a way to make new friends and contacts. I would think that college students who are looking to graduate one day and start their careers would be interested in networking.

• Like 1

Goes to show what a failure the War on Drugs has been...

In that case, I understand the lack of student attendance.

I think there were about 6 peolpe "sitting" in the grass and perhaps 20 standing across the end zone. I really don't see that making much of a difference in the student section, which btw, is multiple sections (10, I think counting, upper & lower)

I said to thow yesterday out the window. The hill was mostly full the first two home games.

OMFG! :rofl:

Can we get a courtesy flush

I was thinking the same thing!

OMFG! :rofl:

Can we get a courtesy flush

Courtesy flush removed iCoach at the end of the 2011 season. However, a single flush wasn't powerful enough to pull down the top of the dung pile with it. He's switched to the fabreeze that someone else handed him to cover himself ever since.

Courtesy flush removed iCoach at the end of the 2011 season. However, a single flush wasn't powerful enough to pull down the top of the dung pile with it. He's switched to the fabreeze that someone else handed him to cover himself ever since.

He seems more of a Glade Wisp man if you ask me.

MSU AD upset by student section

Changes may be coming to the student section at Spartan Stadium after what officials called a disappointing showing for Michigan State's 27-22 win over Nebraska on Saturday night.

Athletic director Mark Hollis took to Twitter on Sunday night to express his "embarrassment" with the pockets of empty seats that filled the student section during Saturday's prime-time, nationally televised game against the Cornhuskers.

It's not just us guys.

MSU AD upset by student section

It's not just us guys.

At least they had a crowd of students early in the game.

Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio and a few Spartans players said they noticed the evaporating crowd during the fourth quarter. The noise decreased, they said, during Nebraska's late comeback bid.

You can't cover up a stench like that, you can only hope to move it somewhere else with a Big Ass Fan. Not one of the residential ones either. It would require one of the industrial size ones.

Gotta go down to Cincinnati and bring back one of these.

hero-ge90-115b.jpg

Perhaps my generation is getting wise to the scam?

Why pay $$$ to watch a game at the university you already pay 20,000-30,000 a year to attend, to watch a 3+ hour (and when you take into consideration that you have to probably commit another 3 hours in pre-and-post game traffic and other stuff), uncompetitive game, where there is no alcohol sales (and where there is the price is 3x what you can get at the bar across the street), where the food and drink is at least as expensive as going to a sit-down restaurant (but the quality isn't as good)?

Why deal with all that, when you can just as easily not deal with it and watch it on TV at the bar across the street?

Why pay $$$ to watch a game at the university you already pay 20,000-30,000 a year to attend, to watch a 3+ hour (and when you take into consideration that you have to probably commit another 3 hours in pre-and-post game traffic and other stuff), uncompetitive game, where there is no alcohol sales (and where there is the price is 3x what you can get at the bar across the street), where the food and drink is at least as expensive as going to a sit-down restaurant (but the quality isn't as good)?

Why deal with all that, when you can just as easily not deal with it and watch it on TV at the bar across the street?

Interesting perspective. Yet, in another thread, you got all p.o.'d about my going off on the Cleveland Browns. NFL (Nab the Fans Loot) billionaire owners and millionaire players who take great care of their fans, shaking them down weekly. It will be interesting to see if attendance figures change with the FCC ending the blackout rules.

Because the players looks up in the stands and see you're not there and think, if they don't care why should I?

Most college athletes I knew were too interested in competing to worry about the size of the crowd.

You haven't been to a Zips game lately, have you? Every game I go to the Zips players are looking up in the stands and urging the fans to make some noise. Small crowds don't make as much noise as big crowds.

The players that are here have already committed. They have been through a lot and are battling…..they deserve better. They DO care about people in the stands and DO want a home field advantage.

The point I am trying to make is that when the new recruits (preferably top recruits) see the lame crowds they will likely look elsewhere. Why would Bowden/Amato stick around and coach 1 star and 2 star players when they could go somewhere and get top recruits. Don't think for one second both of them are not being courted by big programs with a fan bases that actually care.