Off the Zips

airrage

As a long-time season ticket holder, UA alum, donor, and 12+-year faculty member, I have never been more frustrated than this morning with our football program.

It's not merely the total collapse over the last three games. Nor is it the overwhelming apathy shown by my students, colleagues, and community towards UA football.

Mostly, it is the utter disregard the athletic department shows to anyone who bleeds blue and gold.

I am tired of buying tickets each season to watch a historically lousy product, and then get treated like less-than-excrement.

The hubris displayed by the athletic department, which hemorrhages money, and only exists because of massive taxpayer and student subsidies, is mind numbing.

While they sit back in their climate controlled suites, they won't even allow us "poor serfs" the use of an umbrella during a monsoon.

How many of those soaked-to-the-bone first-time students who came out last night to win free tuition will ever come back? We already know the answer.

Further, in a university where enrollment- and revenue- continue to plummet, this same program spends ungodly sums of money bribing students to show-up; gold-plating helmets; and, creating new uniforms every week.

They do all this while embarrassing the University on national television and treating supporters as necessary evils.

Well, Mr. Wistricil (sic) ET. Al., the Greeks had a goddess for hubris - and her name was nemesis. Losing is clearly your fate. You've earned it.

I won't let it become mine.

So by definition because others don't allow umbrellas Akron shouldn't allow umbrellas? That is your answer to a fan who actually signs his name to the post? I suspect most stadiums don't allow umbrellas because it would interfere with site lines for others. That would is not a problem at Akron and I would argue they should allow umbrellas until it becomes an issue. If it is because they can be used as a weapon or something like that well that is just dumb. It wasn't always this way at stadiums.

I did a quick google search and found the Seattle Sounders allow umbrellas with the caveat you don't interfere with others enjoyment of the game.

Funny how Andrew's issue with not bringing an umbrella is the take away everyone has from his post. Seems there are more important things in there.

• Like 1

As a long-time season ticket holder, UA alum, donor, and 12+-year faculty member, I have never been more frustrated than this morning with our football program.

It's not merely the total collapse over the last three games. Nor is it the overwhelming apathy shown by my students, colleagues, and community towards UA football.

Mostly, it is the utter disregard the athletic department shows to anyone who bleeds blue and gold.

I am tired of buying tickets each season to watch a historically lousy product, and then get treated like less-than-excrement.

The hubris displayed by the athletic department, which hemorrhages money, and only exists because of massive taxpayer and student subsidies, is mind numbing.

While they sit back in their climate controlled suites, they won't even allow us "poor serfs" the use of an umbrella during a monsoon.

How many of those soaked-to-the-bone first-time students who came out last night to win free tuition will ever come back? We already know the answer.

Further, in a university where enrollment- and revenue- continue to plummet, this same program spends ungodly sums of money bribing students to show-up; gold-plating helmets; and, creating new uniforms every week.

They do all this while embarrassing the University on national television and treating supporters as necessary evils.

Well, Mr. Wistricil (sic) ET. Al., the Greeks had a goddess for hubris - and her name was nemesis. Losing is clearly your fate. You've earned it.

I won't let it become mine.

Andrew R. Thomas

The only new uniforms they got this year are the black ones and gold helmets. And those were paid for by a donation. No money from the athletic department for those jerseys.

Good points made by Mr. Thomas. And,no his point was NOT umbrellas. Its is about the poor football 'product' that has been put on the field for years and years. And,some of that responsibility is with the current AD and his administration for making some really bad choices concerning football. Its is also about treating the 'pedestrian' fans who don't sit in the clubs or loges as after thoughts on occasion. Like last year when they didn't feel like clearing the snow from large sections of the stadium and told some season ticket holders they couldn't sit in the seats they had paid for because it wasn't 'safe'. Ya duh,it wasn't safe because the AD chose not to clear the snow. (And,no I wasn't able to sit in a 'better' seat in the lower bowl.)

I buy tix and go to games to watch football. I don't sit in the parking lot and drink. I don't stay home to watch games. But when you sit through games like last night where the 'product' on the field was not acceptable AND the weather was even worse I can understand why someone might complain about an umbrella.

So, ignoring the umbrella issue (most reasonable people accept the fact that 99-cent ponchos are as good or better at keeping fans dry without blocking the views of others) and the uniforms issue (paid for by a donor), what legitimate issues are left in the original post to discuss beyond general venting about watching your team lose in bad weather in a season that still might produce the first .500 or better season in a decade?

• Like 1

the overwhelming apathy shown by my students, colleagues, and community towards UA football.

You should come around here more often, and join those of us who have been venting about this for years.

There's also been many discussions about how the common fan who is loyal to the Zips is treated around here. There aren't enough loyal fans to alienate anyone, or disregard them to kiss the butts of a few high donors. Catering to the entire scope of fans is the only thing that will ever grow the program.

But less specifically, the fact that you decided to show up here and voice your concern, as a loyal and long-time Zips fan, should be appreciated by all.

And I agree with you....most of those students will not show up again. Their mass exit from the building (an understatement) as soon as the last list of finalists for the scholarship drawing was announced.......that tells the whole story.

So, ignoring the umbrella issue (most reasonable people accept the fact that 99-cent ponchos are as good or better at keeping fans dry without blocking the views of others) and the uniforms issue (paid for by a donor), what legitimate issues are left in the original post to discuss beyond general venting about watching your team lose in bad weather in a season that still might produce the first .500 or better season in a decade?

DIG. By making the comment you did about ponchos, means you didn't take your own advice and 'ignore' the umbrella issue'. Again,it wasn't about umbrellas. Apparently some here haven't figured that out. The scholarship thing was a lame attempt. Juvenile at best. Even if these guys win their last 3 in spite of what the coaches are doing on the O side of the ball,it won't increase attendance,student or otherwise.

The scholarship thing was a lame attempt. Juvenile at best. Even if these guys win their last 3 in spite of what the coaches are doing on the O side of the ball,it won't increase attendance,student or otherwise.

So increasing attendance by thousands, and helping pay for a kids education is "lame" and "juvenile"? :rolleyes: You will have to convince me of that. You don't have to convince me that we need some focus on the offensive side of the ball. I'll give you that one.

If UA marketing had a crystal ball, they could of had black Z ponchos instead of the shirts. They could still order them and sell them (minimal charge) at the little stands by the entrances for fans that aren't bright enough to look at weather.com before they go to an outside sporting event in NEO in November.

• Like 1

So increasing attendance by thousands, and helping pay for a kids education is "lame" and "juvenile"? :rolleyes: You will have to convince me of that.

Me too. $5,000 is a lot of money for anyone and if any of those winners have been taking out loans for college, it will go a long way to lessen their future payments. It was a meaningful giveaway. When I think of lame promotional items, I think of bobble head dolls. Truly the definition of lame and juvenile.

Anyone remember this girl? She won a scholarship from Dr. Pepper by doing this. It was the difference between living in a car or going to college. What the University needs to do is get a local business to sponsor some of these scholarships. Providing a scholarship to someone brings out the best in our humanity. Bobble head dolls, etc. bring out the silliness in humanity. I like to think a University should bring out the best in humanity. Kids like bobble head dolls? Too bad. A lesson in the value of giving rather than receiving is much needed in our society.

My hope is the four people who won scholarships the other night will be grateful for their prize and find some encouragement to go out and make themselves better citizens the way Padilla-Rodriguez did.

• Like 2

I hear a lot of frustration. And I must admit, I had very high expectations going into this season. The Marshall game really got to me! I guess I am tired of losing. Many people on this site are much more knowledgeable about football than I am. I just want to win! I want to be proud of my Alma Mater. I am a donor and supporter.

I believe the University needs us more now than ever.

Looking at all that has transpired over the last six years with our football team, I still believe we have made great strides, and we’re moving in the right direction. Just not as quickly as I would like.

The rain was at Tuesday game was a bit of a bummer, but there is a lot more covered areas at IS than there ever was at the RB.

Good points made by Mr. Thomas. And,no his point was NOT umbrellas. Its is about the poor football 'product' that has been put on the field for years and years. And,some of that responsibility is with the current AD and his administration for making some really bad choices concerning football. Its is also about treating the 'pedestrian' fans who don't sit in the clubs or loges as after thoughts on occasion. Like last year when they didn't feel like clearing the snow from large sections of the stadium and told some season ticket holders they couldn't sit in the seats they had paid for because it wasn't 'safe'. Ya duh,it wasn't safe because the AD chose not to clear the snow. (And,no I wasn't able to sit in a 'better' seat in the lower bowl.)

I buy tix and go to games to watch football. I don't sit in the parking lot and drink. I don't stay home to watch games. But when you sit through games like last night where the 'product' on the field was not acceptable AND the weather was even worse I can understand why someone might complain about an umbrella.

Not clearing the snow is totally unacceptable. How does Vernon Croft lose his job for a crappy Womens Soccer record, but Tom Wistrcil keeps his after hiring Rob Ianello and not doing a thing to improve the Athletics Department?

As far as the product on the field, I had higher expectations for this year than I'm seeing. BG isn't as good as the Zips made them look. Offensive play calling and execution were miserable. Not having much of a running game is unacceptable in NEO. TB and AJ Milwee need to figure out that they're not in the sunny south.

As far as umbrellas, I'm sorry but they should never be allowed in any stadium other than to walk in before the game and out after the game. They block the view of the fans behind them and drip on the fans around them. Get a poncho. I've sat through many a game with one. Even the better ones that will last for years don't cost much more than a sturdy umbrella that doesn't really do much for you anyway in a driving, windy rain. Better yet, get a rain suit. They're not that much more expensive either.

Dear god Zips fans are delusional.

The product we have now is the best football product we've had in 5+ years, and NOW we're freaking out?

What on earth is going to happen when we go 10-2 and win the MAC championship and get into high bowl game? I say that folks, because that's where Bowden is taking us with or without your support.

I don't like losing either guys, but (I think it was Zipmesiter or Dr. Z) who snapped me back to reality after I vented during the Ohio game...don't put so much emotion on college athletics. (who ever that was, thanks for the reality check :bow:) These boys are 18-22 years old for god sake! I'd bet the average age here is at least double that! Support the University through it's athletic program, or don't.

Are we Zips fans now going the way of State Ohio University? Are we forgetting that this is about community and fellowship amongst each other? It's not just about winning, though winning is nice. We're still in the midst of the best season in nearly a decade of football. Stop the freaking doom-and-gloom.

• Like 2

Anybody read the 'quote' in the BJ on Sunday? Bowden said the coaches need to stop putting players in positions where they feel 'pressured' into doing things they(the players) are not capable of doing. Read it! I hope Bowden as the HC was including himself. That has been stated on this board before by at least one person.. The job of coaches during the season is to put players in the best position to win(that also has been questioned here previously). Square peg into the round hole etc,etc.

If Bowden is directing this to Milwee then Bowden has responsibility also. Hard to believe its directed at the defense. Shouldn't be! Maybe they win the last 3. Or not! I said 6-6 would be acceptable this season. Stay with it.

Dear god Zips fans are delusional.

The product we have now is the best football product we've had in 5+ years, and NOW we're freaking out?

What on earth is going to happen when we go 10-2 and win the MAC championship and get into high bowl game? I say that folks, because that's where Bowden is taking us with or without your support.

I don't like losing either guys, but (I think it was Zipmesiter or Dr. Z) who snapped me back to reality after I vented during the Ohio game...don't put so much emotion on college athletics. (who ever that was, thanks for the reality check :bow:) These boys are 18-22 years old for god sake! I'd bet the average age here is at least double that! Support the University through it's athletic program, or don't.

Are we Zips fans now going the way of State Ohio University? Are we forgetting that this is about community and fellowship amongst each other? It's not just about winning, though winning is nice. We're still in the midst of the best season in nearly a decade of football. Stop the freaking doom-and-gloom.

That 10-2 season will happen when? You stated some very good reasons why that is not likley to happen. Doesn't need to. See above.

So increasing attendance by thousands, and helping pay for a kids education is "lame" and "juvenile"? :rolleyes: You will have to convince me of that. You don't have to convince me that we need some focus on the offensive side of the ball. I'll give you that one.

If UA marketing had a crystal ball, they could of had black Z ponchos instead of the shirts. They could still order them and sell them (minimal charge) at the little stands by the entrances for fans that aren't bright enough to look at weather.com before they go to an outside sporting event in

l'll not say what really should be said. Because only people who are completely out of touch with attendance at Akron games for the last 40+ years would believe that a 'promotion' like that would 'entice' a significant number of kids to attend a game that they have likely never nor will attend in the future. Its not about a couple of hundred kids on one awful night in November 2014. Its about 2015,2016,2017......... Disparage all you and others want. Attendance AIN"T gonna change significantly. The weather isn't a significant factor around here! Attendance has always been bad.

Guess nobody wants to address what Bowden said about he coaches?

That 10-2 season will happen when? You stated some very good reasons why that is not likley to happen. Doesn't need to. See above.

With Bowden as the head coach of Akron, and AD who aren't has trigger happy as a lot of the members here appear to be, Bowden will get us there. Mark my words. I won't put a time frame on it, other than that Bowden will be the best Akron coach D-I Akron football. Not only will he dig this program from the dredges of College football, but he'll make it a competitor and a regular winner.

I'm tired of the freak-out sessions on this forum. There's very good reasons that this is likely to happen so long as ADs and people in power don't panic. This team is trending upwards. 2-3 more seasons (or less) we will be where we all want to be. I've said it about a million times: Bowden is here to stay...he will retire from here, and he wants to build something special at Akron. Nothing is more special than a program that has never won 8 games in one season, getting to 8+ and beyond.

Guess nobody wants to address what Bowden said about he coaches?

No, because it's standard coach speak. There's nothing to address. Trying to read too much into it yields things like the Pohl non-existent QB controversy.

• Like 1