Starting QB 2015

a-zip

Maybe, maybe not. Hard to say unless you followed the team. Maybe the o-line stunk, maybe the whole offense stunk, maybe Chapman was just OK.

Per GT, it looks like he showed potential last year at Akron, however:

Considering he was up against our defense, I find that encouraging.

+1

My take on all of this: Bowden is trying to create hyper competition at the QB spot to light a fire under Pohl. Maybe Chapman will win the job this spring, but I would not want to sit Pohl, unless this new guy shows great signs of maturity and is clearly better in all aspects as this season is so important. I have to guess that Bowden used Chapman as motivation for improvement a little too much over the past year and possibly Kincade's name did not come up enough (mis-management), so Kincade felt it was best to move on to another program. I can't see how this was in any way good for our program as he was badly needed in the pipeline at this position. Now the stakes are even higher for 2015. We must win and go bowling in 2015 to recruit or we wither back.

Not sure my inquiry turned up any information to give us much more of a clue as to what we are getting with Mr. Chapman.

I looked at the same when he transferred, and come to the same conclusion. If he were to win the QB competition and start for Akron, he would go from playing the likes of Walsh, Malone and Tiffin, to playing his first game against Oklahoma, and his second against Pitt. Pretty much the definition of apples to oranges.

I can make that comparison because you implied that having a QB competition in a coach's fourth year is somehow a bad thing.

I disagree. He's brought in a number of QBs to this team to compete. I doubt Kincade would be transferring out if he were the best QB in the room. I doubt Kincade would be transfering if he was the second best QB in the room behind Pohl. The writing is on the wall.

So does that mean Chapman is the starter in your opinion? That may very well end up being the case and thats fine. But I think we(Zipgrad and I) were both wanting point out that apparently we don't know that for sure even now. And if it is Chapman he is at least relatively inexperienced. Not the way the team wants to go in to a season at this point. Of course he may shine. Or he might not. 'the waiting is the hardest part...'

So does that mean Chapman is the starter in your opinion? That may very well end up being the case and thats fine. But I think we(Zipgrad and I) were both wanting point out that apparently we don't know that for sure even now. And if it is Chapman he is at least relatively inexperienced. Not the way the team wants to go in to a season at this point. Of course he may shine. Or he might not. 'the waiting is the hardest part...'

Yes he is, IMO. Just like DW13 was in 2012. I think Bowden can find the right guy when he goes out and gets him. Pohl was never his guy, but he gave him a chance. Pohl was a redshirt freshman when Bowden took-over the team. DW13 wasn't a sure thing either...but he certainly worked out because Bowden had previously identified DW13 as his guy. Chapman's transfer to this team was probably the same.

I don't think the experience part is going to be a disadvantage. Pohl was relatively inexperienced when he took over the team in 2013, and took the team to new heights. He just doesn't have the skillset to take us to the next level. Chapman does, or at least it appears that he does.

Yes he is, IMO. Just like DW13 was in 2012. I think Bowden can find the right guy when he goes out and gets him. Pohl was never his guy, but he gave him a chance. Pohl was a redshirt freshman when Bowden took-over the team. DW13 wasn't a sure thing either...but he certainly worked out because Bowden had previously identified DW13 as his guy. Chapman's transfer to this team was probably the same.

I don't think the experience part is going to be a disadvantage. Pohl was relatively inexperienced when he took over the team in 2013, and took the team to new heights. He just doesn't have the skillset to take us to the next level. Chapman does, or at least it appears that he does.

You think Bowden can find the right guy when he goes out and gets him? What does that even mean?

Obviously, Bowden "hasn't" been able to go out and get his guy because he has played Pohl for the last 2 years even though he doesnt want to. He couldnt find anyone better. Also, he was never able to replace Chisholm even though he wanted to in the worst way. Bowden has failed to find a guy for the last 3 years in 2 two of the most critical areas of his offense (QB and RB).

• Like 1

I don't know if Williams was even as good as some are making him out to be. Williams was smart, was a leader, and had extensive familiarity with the system. That's about where it ends. He had obvious physical limitations such as mobility and arm strength, and even with as bad as our defense was, we still only won one game (zero against FBS competition). You don't need defense to win in the MAC. Hence the term "MACtion".

With that said, I feel all of our QBs that have played since then have been more talented than him, but just not the leadership or smarts.

You think Bowden can find the right guy when he goes out and gets him? What does that even mean?

Obviously, Bowden "hasn't" been able to go out and get his guy because he has played Pohl for the last 2 years even though he doesnt want to. He couldnt find anyone better. Also, he was never able to replace Chisholm even though he wanted to in the worst way. Bowden has failed to find a guy for the last 3 years in 2 two of the most critical areas of his offense (QB and RB).

I still think the point is here that at this point in Bowden's tenure it at least seems to those of us who have been following this program for decades,literally,that the QB position should be more solidified by now. If the position hadn't been an obvious question mark for at least the last two seasons fans probably wouldn't be looking at it as critically. As far as taking the team to new heights,the last time that happened was back in the 2004-2005 seasons. Charlie and Luke.

I still think the point is here that at this point in Bowden's tenure it at least seems to those of us who have been following this program for decades,literally,that the QB position should be more solidified by now.

2013 was the first non-1-11 season in 3 years. Why would a top QB want to come to Akron? Kids who are used to winning have a harder envisioning themselves with team with a losing record. Bowden has been pretty resourceful getting "second chance" kids and raised the profile of the team significantly where we are finally at a point to recruit some of the better talent. But I think your expectation are a little unrealistic.

Kids have different priorities but among them are (and order of priority varies)

• Playing for a winning program
  • How soon they will see the field/opportunity for personal success
  • The way the fit "feels"
  • Their parents' preferences
  • Facilities

We seem to have it sewn up with facilities and seem to score well with the "fit" category and even parental preferences. Where we struggle is the winning and opportunity for personal success categories. We are starting to make up ground, but it is a harder to sell on what has not happened yet and it takes the right kid to want to be a part of a turn-around versus jump into the success of a winning program.

Furthermore, I think a lot of folks forget the talent that has not been recruited that will really start to be first realized this year. Bowden's first class was the 2013 recruiting class, who mostly red-shirted during 2013 and was the second string last year. That class was recruited off of a 1-11 team. The next class, also recruited off of a 1-11 team, will be sophomores this year. There is a 1-2 year delay between the time the kid signs and when we, for the most part, will start to see a difference. The kids have to mature, both as players and personally, and get stronger during that time.

Great example of this is John Rachal who came in at the end of EMU (I believe) and delivered a crushing hit that caused a fumble. Hakeem Lawrence shows a lot of potential in terms of speed and footwork. He fumbled a few times, but appeared to be out-muscled more than anything. He never had a chance to develop this year due to a hip injury.

I don't think it is realistic to expect any more than what we have, to date. I understand you are impatient, but it doesn't change reality. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken_________.

• Like 1

He hasn't? He identified DW13 as a QB for his system and got him. Bowden recruited Woodson, who looks more comfortable than Pohl in this system. He brought in Chapman, who has three years of eligibility left, and certainly looks to have more potential than Pohl and Woodson.

He recruited Kincade, which no-one complained about. Kincade transfering is not a bad sign IMO, it means that this program has found a guy better than the guy we all thought was going to be our future. The plan with Kincade appears to have been, Redshirt 1st year, be second behind Pohl in his senior year, than take the reigns Sophomore year. That plan has changed because Pohl isn't getting the job done. If Chapman lives up to his potential (which is far greater than Pohl's potential at this point), than we're good there for three years: leaving Kincade in the dust (hence his transfer).

The only constant here is: Pohl. Pohl is not a Bowden guy.

• Like 1

Some wondered what Chapman was asking for that Coach Owens was quoted as saying that Ashland couldn't provide. This answers that question:

Chapman said he loved his Ashland teammates, but longed to return to Division I. He was also struggling financially without a full scholarship, which Ashland could not provide.

He hasn't? He identified DW13 as a QB for his system and got him. Bowden recruited Woodson, who looks more comfortable than Pohl in this system. He brought in Chapman, who has three years of eligibility left, and certainly looks to have more potential than Pohl and Woodson.

He recruited Kincade, which no-one complained about. Kincade transfering is not a bad sign IMO, it means that this program has found a guy better than the guy we all thought was going to be our future. The plan with Kincade appears to have been, Redshirt 1st year, be second behind Pohl in his senior year, than take the reigns Sophomore year. That plan has changed because Pohl isn't getting the job done. If Chapman lives up to his potential (which is far greater than Pohl's potential at this point), than we're good there for three years: leaving Kincade in the dust (hence his transfer).

The only constant here is: Pohl. Pohl is not a Bowden guy.

You are delusional

If Kincade transferred because of the depth chart then he shouldn't be playing here anyway.

It shows he is obviously afraid of competition. If it was for other reasons then good for him and I wish him luck.

Other schools get 4-5* QB's every year even though they have other highly rated guys on the depth chart.

Chapman was a very good HS QB but he has not proven anything on the field "yet". I expect him to be a very good QB.

Losing Kincade and the other verbal we had for next year really hurts. You always need depth and youth in the pipeline.

We need to win and Chapman needs to look great and be all MAC. That will help QB recruiting quite a bit.

Not only do recruits want to win, but they want to see that their specific position group is developed properly.

Thanks for sharing. Informative article. I was only thinking he had 2 years of eligibility, glad I was wrong! Probably doesn't mean anything, but I was surprised Pohl is current 1st on the depth chart. Wouldn't have that feeling when considering all of the info we have. I'd assume its just a formality.

Thanks for sharing. Informative article. I was only thinking he had 2 years of eligibility, glad I was wrong! Probably doesn't mean anything, but I was surprised Pohl is current 1st on the depth chart. Wouldn't have that feeling when considering all of the info we have. I'd assume its just a formality.

Agreed. Chapman hasn't proven anything yet. He needs to demonstrate, on the field, that he's the guy. So did DW13.