Worst Play Call in Football History?

Blue & Gold

The worst call, was not giving Malcolm Butler the MVP. I know Brady is the media darling, but Butler made one of the biggest plays in SB history to SAVE Brady's third loss in a SB (all post Spygate, I don't count any victories before that, because he shouldn't even have been there). If Brady doesn't give that MVP truck to Butler, he is out of his mind.

Proof that Tom Brady reads ZipsNation. :lol:

Now who do you suppose would say something like this about the Seahawks and The Play?

"There has been a lot of criticism that I don't think is anywhere close to being deserved or founded. That football team is very good, very well-coached, and Pete does a great job. I think the criticism they've gotten for the game is totally out of line and by a lot of people who I don't think are anywhere near even qualified to be commenting on it."

That is a well written perspective.

I thought it was funny that coach Bowden referenced the bad call in his press conference yesterday.

Reminder, "Three things can happen when you pass the ball, and two of them are bad" --Woody Hayes.

Baldwin apologizes to Hilltopper...and Revis.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Warning this may tarnish your "classy" view of Tom Brady. Read with caution.

Seems pretty deliberate to me, with a history too.

Here is a SMALL sampling. To get the full experience, I encourage you to read the entire report. Brady was mentioned 378 times in the report.

The text messages included are priceless. The fumble rate chart is one I never considered.

At halftime, under Riveron‟s supervision, two alternate game officials (Clete
Blakeman and Dyrol Prioleau) tested eleven Patriots game balls and four Colts
game balls. The Patriots ball intercepted by the Colts was not among the eleven
Patriots balls tested. Each official used a separate air pressure gauge provided by
referee Anderson that Anderson had brought with him to the game, one of which
also had been used by Anderson for his pre-game inspection. Each of the eleven
Patriots balls tested at halftime measured below the minimum 12.5 psi level
established by the Playing Rules on both gauges. Each of the four Colts balls
tested measured within the permissible 12.5 to 13.5 psi range on at least one of
the gauges. The measurements were recorded in writing by Richard Farley, an
NFL security official who has been assigned to the Patriots and Gillette Stadium
for approximately twelve years. Only four Colts balls were tested because the
officials were running out of time before the start of the second half.
Prediction: As with Belichick cheating (Spygate), Brady will get the same slap on the wrist. ;)
Sharp suggests a four game suspension...for the regular season...big deal. "The Pats punishment must be severe because spygate taught them absolutely nothing about adhering to the rules." --SS
I say suspend him one game, the next time he makes it to a championship game,. If he doesn't make it, no suspension. Make the punishment fit the crime.

I respect the talent of Tom Brady, but am no fan of him or the Pats.

With that said, people are making too big of a deal of it. I guess that's what happens in the offseason. 1) The Pats blew the hell out of the Colts whatever mythical marginal advantage they got wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. 2) Most of the balls were about 1 pound or less than 10% under-inflated. There are more important things in the NFL to worry about that actually matter.

I respect the talent of Tom Brady, but am no fan of him or the Pats. With that said, people are making too big of a deal of it. I guess that's what happens in the offseason. 1) The Pats blew the hell out of the Colts whatever mythical marginal advantage they got wouldn't have made a difference in the outcome. 2) Most of the balls were about 1 pound or less than 10% under-inflated. There are more important things in the NFL to worry about that actually matter.

So cheating isn't cheating if it's only 10%? What is the tolerance for cheating? 11%? Keep in mind that an under-inflated football is easier to grip, pass and catch, effecting multiple plays during every game. Tom terrific was not the only benefactor of a NE illegal ball. His entire team was. I encourage you to read the full report.

The rest of the league plays with a properly inflated ball, only one guy/team doesn't. It sure will be interesting to see how the league feels about it. I'll stick with my prediction above.

I got hit with a Chapman pass during the spring game in the leg. THAT ball was properly inflated...it stung.

• Like 1

So cheating isn't cheating if it's only 10%? What is the tolerance for cheating? 11%? Keep in mind that an under-inflated football is easier to grip, pass and catch, effecting multiple plays during every game. Tom terrific was not the only benefactor of a NE illegal ball. His entire team was. I encourage you to read the full report.

The rest of the league plays with a properly inflated ball, only one guy/team doesn't. It sure will be interesting to see how the league feels about it. I'll stick with my prediction above.

I got hit with a Chapman pass during the spring game in the leg. THAT ball was properly inflated...it stung.

Highlighted part is false. Rodgers has admitted to messing with air pressure when this first came out.

The Wells report also found that 3 of the 4 Colts balls tested were under inflated as well ;)

The Wells report also found that 3 of the 4 Colts balls tested were under inflated as well ;)

You obviously didn't read the report. I encourage you to do so.

Each of the four Colts balls
tested measured within the permissible 12.5 to 13.5 psi range on at least one of
NFL security official who has been assigned to the Patriots and Gillette Stadium

You obviously didn't read the report. I encourage you to do so.

I did not read the report. I don't have the time to read 243 pages.

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/05/deflategate_indianapolis_colts.html

I did not read the report.

Very obvious.

Very obvious.

I take it you did not read this or just chose to ignore it much like you did with Rodgers admitting to tampering with balls. It's a lot more common than you believe. If you've noticed, no player cares about it besides the sore losers. http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/05/deflategate_indianapolis_colts.html

I take it you did not read this or just chose to ignore it much like you did with Rodgers admitting to tampering with balls. It's a lot more common than you believe. If you've noticed, no player cares about it besides the sore losers. http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2015/05/deflategate_indianapolis_colts.html

Massachusetts headline from March reads, According to Patriots Robert Kraft....? Sorry, I stopped there. Kraft wore me out with his Sypgate spinning of facts. I can only take so much from the Patriots. We will see if Rodgers or Brady gets disciplined for cheating. I realize you will not read the facts in the report, but I have read the report on Tom Brady's involvement in cheating, I have not read an investigative report on Rodgers, just him saying he likes the ball inflated to the max. I'll guess the league is okay with that, I could be wrong, maybe your right and they will suspend both. As far as I can tell, Rodgers seems to be pretty honest, Brady wouldn't help with the investigation. We'll see.

Rodgers has never said he likes them inflated over the max has he? All he's done is say he likes them inflated as much as possible.. What's wrong with that? Everyone has preferences

“‘I like to push the limit to how much air we can put in the football, even go over what they allow you to do and see if the officials take air out of it,'” Simms said Rodgers told them before the game.

For the record, I don't really care either what what somebody's preference is. Who cares as long as they are using correct football. There are disadvantages to under and overinflated footballs as well.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/aaron-rodgers-likes-his-footballs-overinflated/

...The rest of the league plays with a properly inflated ball, only one guy/team doesn't. ...

Faulty logic. Only one guy/team was caught. No telling how long they were doing it without getting caught and no telling how many others have been doing it without getting caught. It's like saying the only motorist who was ticketed for exceeding the speed limit on a certain day on a certain highway was the only one speeding and everyone else was driving within the speed limit.

Only one guy/team was caught.

Anyone caught should be penalized accordingly. I would expect a new system in place due to the "classy" Mr Brady. Comparing cheating in sports to speeding in a car is apples and hand grenades at best.

My original thought: Suspend him for only one game...the next time he makes it to a championship game. If he doesn't make it, no suspension, congratulations, you got away with cheating just like your coach.

Another thought: Don't suspend him at all, just make him play with an overinflated ball. Same amount that was underinflated. The amount was no big deal, right?

Anyone caught should be penalized accordingly. ... Comparing cheating in sports to speeding in a car is apples and hand grenades at best. ...

I agree that anyone caught breaking rules should be appropriately penalized. Comparing cheating in sports to cheating the speed limit is a perfectly valid comparison in the context of pointing out that all of those who weren't caught doing it are not necessarily innocent.

I, too, don't have time to read even an abbreviated version of the report.

Does the report state anywhere what the pressures of the footballs from the two teams were when tested prior to the start of the game?

Does the report state what the actual pressures of the balls were when tested at halftime (how far out of range)?

Tom Brady likes footballs on the low side, so they would probably set their footballs right at the bottom of the allowable range. It is therefore reasonable to expect that, on a cold day, the footballs tested later would be out of range. I have no idea what Andrew Luck likes, but if the Colts' footballs started the game at the middle of the range or near the top, they could reasonably still be in the allowable range, and would be expected to be higher than the Patriots'.

The fact that Tom Brady did not give up his phone means nothing. He's a mega-celebrity. He's married to a mega-celebrity. TMZ has material for a year if he gives up his phone--trust no-one.