Buffalo Lands JUCO Recruit Maurice O'Field

Nice. I hope Hurley stays in Buffalo for a long time. It's good for us & keeps pressure on us to up our game as well.

Plus, I like the budding rivalry with Buffalo. It's fun. We've already got two pretty epic rivals in OU & K.e.n.t. Let's have another; makes for more meaningful games throughout the course of the season.

• Like 1

Seeing stuff like this is why Akron is never going to be more than what it has peaked at - a consistent, but slightly above average mid-major.

Here's a kid from essentially your backyard; you have one of his HS teammates, Cristen Wilson, on the roster; and yet you let him get away to a rival MAC program.

Im not sure if KD even recruited him, and to be fair CSU and Can't also missed on him. But not getting him will come back and bite UA.

Anyway, great pickup for Buffalo, a school that has surpassed what KD has built in 11 years in just 3 under Hurley (better the last two years and better talent already in/coming into the program). O'Field is a freak athlete with decent basketball skills. If he continues to develop, he will find a spot in the NBA.

• Like 1

Seeing stuff like this is why Akron is never going to be more than what it has peaked at - a consistent, but slightly above average mid-major.

Here's a kid from essentially your backyard; you have one of his HS teammates, Cristen Wilson, on the roster; and yet you let him get away to a rival MAC program.

Im not sure if KD even recruited him, and to be fair CSU and Can't also missed on him. But not getting him will come back and bite UA.

Anyway, great pickup for Buffalo, a school that has surpassed what KD has built in 11 years in just 3 under Hurley (better the last two years and better talent already in/coming into the program). O'Field is a freak athlete with decent basketball skills. If he continues to develop, he will find a spot in the NBA.

Hold off on the "surpassing" and other miscellaneous doom and gloom. Buffalo has never been to the dance. As in EVER. Not even once. In fact, I'm not sure they've played in more than one MAC final ever.

I am a little jealous of how their fan base has grown seemingly exponentially over the last 4-5 years, but they're still a ways away from overtaking even Akron's level of a solid mid-major.

• Like 1

This is his first season at Midland after originally committing to East Tennessee State, and he's averaging 15.8 points, 5 boards, and 2.9 assists per game for the Chaparrals. It seems that Maurice never played at ETSU due to academic eligibility issues.

So I am not losing sleep over those numbers in JUCO

But JOHN HAY HS???

Isn't that where a certain LEN PAUL went to school? Shame on us for not paying attention.

There was a pretty impressive article not too long ago in I believe the dealer or scene magazine about the turn around at John Hay HS (I am pretty sure it was this school) and the turn around of the program and the amount of talent that is coming out of that program.

Dambrot should take notice, it could be the pipeline from Cleveland to Akron (much like Glenville for OSU football) that could help lift this program. The one thing that Dambrot has never been able to do is to get that one player that strikes fear in an opposing team and that can dominate in a post season game when needed. This has always been the one issue from helping this team get over the top.

I have no idea if this player is that kind of player, but it is never a good feeling to lose a local kid to a MAC school with an offer list like that.

Seeing stuff like this is why Akron is never going to be more than what it has peaked at - a consistent, but slightly above average mid-major. Anyway, great pickup for Buffalo, a school that has surpassed what KD has built in 11 years in just 3 under Hurley (better the last two years and better talent already in/coming into the program). O'Field is a freak athlete with decent basketball skills. If he continues to develop, he will find a spot in the NBA.

If he is an NBA-type talent. Good for the MAC. The league could use three or four more. Here's to one landing in Akron! With all of our 20 win seasons, it should be happening soon!?!?

Buffalo, a school that has surpassed what KD has built in 11 years in just 3 under Hurley (better the last two years and better talent already in/coming into the program). O'Field is a freak athlete with decent basketball skills. If he continues to develop, he will find a spot in the NBA.

Pump the brakes. I'm impressed by Buffalo, but winning on rivals.com and winning on Saturday at The Q are two very different things. Maybe Buffalo will do so starting this year, but until they do we need to stop with the Buffalo has surpassed Akron as a program talk, especially since it'll all crumble when (not if, when) Hurley moves on.