Game 9—@ UMass

ZachTheZip

Lazy, sloppy, unimaginative offensive performance.

This is why I scratch my head regarding Bowden .... How the HELL do you continue to let this guy call the plays ?? Get a freakin OC and let this kid cut his teeth at a community college .(or a youth Rec league team) ..... What the hell does Bowden see in this guy

I've been chanting "one down....three to go" also, ever since the game ended.

A win for the defense, no doubt.

And again, I felt like this was another game where the offense made plays to gain yardage, but didn't make nearly enough plays to score points. This has been a pattern for the AJ/Woodson led offense many times this year. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us. I don't think we can count on having turnover-free and shutout defense 2nd halves to win every remaining game.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's an AJ thing. When Pohl was the starter we could move the ball, but never far enough to score points.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it's an AJ thing. When Pohl was the starter we could move the ball, but never far enough to score points.

Agreed. This has been my concern dating back to PSU game last year. Tommy has seen some success throwing inside the red zone because he can throw more than the fade but we seem to self-destruct inside the red zone with penalties, drops, or other weirdness. Tommy is able to really gut it out on the ground, thankfully. His pass to Wolf in the endzone was a nice looking pass. Woodson did a void jib recovering from the end of the first half mistakes and playing within himself in the second half.

I loved the pitch back to Woodson play call. It's a shame they didn't connect, but hopefully we will see a little more trickery going forward.

That being said, our trips to the red zone seem far fewer, which points back to our recent O-line issues. Let's hope we score some quality talent in this area in the off season. I have seen we have been recruiting some JUCO O-line players. Perhaps we can get some higher quality transfers, too.

A couple of nice catches from Coney today.

I heard one of the announcers mention that Mounds (I think) said we were very deep in the secondary. This is encouraging as they have really started stepping it up and it was an area of concern going into the season. Hopefully the guys in the 2 and 3 deep spots will be ready to step in next year.

My random thoughts on the game:

• I have to admit, I thought we would kill UMass, when I saw the line I thought it was a mistake.

• Our defense played awesome. Great game plan. I was a tad concerned we were over defending the pass early, but as more often than not, the staff adjusted. Kudos to everyone on the defense, line, backers and secondary came to play yesterday.

• I'm not sure how to fix the offense, but it needs attention. The program has a great opportunity right now, and the offensive efficiency is the only thing that may keep us out of a bowl game. Jay Feeley pointing out that TW should be holding onto the ball during all the zone reads was an excellent point. I can't say that all those zone reads seem the best use of the talent on the field. That td run by TW was pretty awesome though.

• Extremely nice to watch the game in HD and have professionals announce the game. They added to my experience instead of annoying me.

• Great to see Jerome Lane on the field the majority of the time yesterday. Someone listened to ZN. I like Feeley explaining the staff told him that they want to get JL7 more involved in the offense. Hallelujah!

Time out from this post...we have an injury timeout on the field as another UMass defensive player is down on the field while the staff gets a play in on third down.

• Can we please practice getting the snap to the holder? This seems like an easy task, but was a real challenge again.

• I love Grice. I love the little interview they did aired with him during the game. Nothing against 36, but we have GOT to be more creative on short yardage than bringing 36 in the game and jamming him into the back of the line every time.

• Jordan George is going to be a player. He had a nice game yesterday. If he continues to progress his game....(insert favorite saying here)

• Please cross off the play on the offensive sheet that has three receivers nine yards from the line of scrimmage in the same place...it could result in an interception since there will be five defenders around the ball.

• Coe continues to disrupt. I have to think he gets a look in someones camp.

• If I'm a UMass fan, I'm upset by the way the end of the game was managed.

• Like 1

Everyone knows the short yardage play when Cody hits the field ..... The issue is that we get zero line surge and as soon as he receives the handoff, he stops because there isn't even a crease

Not Cody's fault but we should scrap the play if we can't get any movement on the line ...... which it seems we cannot

• Like 1

Everyone knows the short yardage play when Cody hits the field ..... The issue is that we get zero line surge and as soon as he receives the handoff, he stops because there isn't even a crease

Not Cody's fault but we should scrap the play if we can't get any movement on the line ...... which it seems we cannot

Or just pull the O-line out of the way and let CG run over the first couple of defenders in his way. If he can't or won't do it, don't put him in.

Edited by ZippyRulz

I kind of thought that the UMass game would be a dogfight. The have a terrible record, but they have played well on occasion and they've had some tough losses. It probably hurts their recruiting by being in the MAC. It must be difficult for an eastern team to recruit locally when your conference schedule is against mid-major teams that are bunched together in the midwest and with who you have no history or tradition.

I don't see any cupcakes coming up for Akron. Frankly, we are not good enough to be calling any other team a cupcake. I expect every one of our last games to be tough for us, but a 7 win season is within grasp.

Edited by you am i

• 5 months later...