2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

Based on speculation I've seen here I would think that a game against Cincinnati in CONUS would be preferable to a game in the Bahamas. It would garner more regional attention and allow more potential travelers. The decision about which bowl to play in, assuming there is a choice, should be made with regard to what helps recruiting and visibility the most.

• Like 1

I have to mention this....

Could the Front Page (not sports section) story in the Beacon on Saturday have slanted our accomplishment any more negatively??

It said "Zips End 10 Year Drought" with a picture of the Wagon Wheel being carried., If I had been a casual fan who didn't know any better, I'd think it was stating that we ended a 10 year drought over Can't State!!!

Secondly, it talked very early in the article about what we have "working against us" in our quest to get a good bowl bid, such as our 2014 record-low attendance.

Really?? This is how you highlight the accomplishment of your hometown team?

You would have thought that it was written by a bitter Can't State fan.

And of course they had to throw this in............

"However, given UA’s recent and ongoing financial issues, can they afford to send a football team to a bowl game?"

“Can the school afford not to?” Bowden asked. “Don’t say you want to win seven or eight games a year and go to bowl games and say you can’t. The conference is going to tell us a lot about what we do in that. And I think sometimes if a conference has more than enough bowl-eligible teams we jump into some other ones.”

I am hoping when TB responded, he had his most sarcastic face and voice working. What a stupid question to ask after this long awaited accomplishment.

Edited by a-zip

It is a very stupid question. Its not uncommon for the conference to fork over some money to help cover the costs as well as the team payout the bowls give as well.

For example, the MAC forked over 450k CMU in the Bahamas bowl last year.

http://www.cm-life.com/article/2014/12/fball-bowl-costs

Bowl payouts, notice a lot of the MAC bowls say "TBD", but it is safe to assume at least a few hundred thousand and payouts if you look at the rest of them.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/college-bowl-game-payouts/

I find it hard to believe we would actually lose money going to a bowl game. I think we should pay close attention to those payouts however and factor that into consideration if we have a choice.

Edited by LZip

One of the determining factors of how much money a school stands to lose is how many tickets the University has to purchase at full price and then eat because hardly anyone goes and those who do purchase a ticket on stub hub for 67 cents.

One of the determining factors of how much money a school stands to lose is how many tickets the University has to purchase at full price and then eat because hardly anyone goes and those who do purchase a ticket on stub hub for 67 cents.

Exactly. This is why it surprised me a little when TB made the early statement that the players would have as much say in where they end up as anyone. At some point, financial considerations have to come into play. The Bahamas Bowl, while perhaps the best reward for the team's hard work, seems likely be to be a losing endeavor for UA in terms of cash. At the other end of the spectrum, IMHO, is the Quick Lane Bowl. The last time the Zips went to Ford Field for a game they brought along at least 15,000 fans. Since it's been 10 years since that happened, I believe another strong contingent would follow along once again in 2015. One would think this might weigh in on both the people selecting teams for the 2015 Quick Lane Bowl and UA's ultimate decision (if it's in their hands).

• Like 2

SBnation has Akron vs MTSU in the Bahamas.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2015/11/29/9813564/bowl-games-projections-2015-ncaa-football-playoff-predictions

So does CBSsports.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

Campus Insiders has us in the Idaho Potato Bowl vs Boise

http://campusinsiders.com/news/2015-2016-college-football-bowl-projections-after-week-13-11-29-2015

That seems to be the only predictions that have been updated for now. While the Bahamas would be nice, I would prefer something not as close to Christmas for personal reasons. I plan to find a way to go either way.

There are a lot of variables that can come into play when you're looking to choose between bowls. The Bahamas bowl is played in a stadium with a capacity of 15,000. Ford Field holds 65,000.How many tickets does each bowl require schools to buy and what is the face value? What is the bowl payout? Are travel/lodging expenses covered? Etc. Etc.

And of course they had to throw this in............

"However, given UA’s recent and ongoing financial issues, can they afford to send a football team to a bowl game?"

“Can the school afford not to?” Bowden asked. “Don’t say you want to win seven or eight games a year and go to bowl games and say you can’t. The conference is going to tell us a lot about what we do in that. And I think sometimes if a conference has more than enough bowl-eligible teams we jump into some other ones.”

I am hoping when TB responded, he had his most sarcastic face and voice working. What a stupid question to ask after this long awaited accomplishment.

100% agree. George Thomas has gone from bad to worse when it comes to covering the Zips and asking ridiculous questions and you can sense the annoyance in TB's voice when he responds to him. Time for the ABJ to get a new Zips FB beat writer.

Just my opinion but the Bahamas Bowl, while possibly appealing to the players, seems like a loser for the program. I'd much rather see them stay in the country, and staying within the region would be even better. Going to a bowl game isn't a vacation for the players, it should be about maximizing exposure, gaining traction with regional viewers and prospects, and maximizing the finances of the program for the future. I hope TB was joking about letting the kids decide.

• Like 1

100% agree. George Thomas has gone from bad to worse when it comes to covering the Zips and asking ridiculous questions and you can sense the annoyance in TB's voice when he responds to him. Time for the ABJ

to get a new Zips FB beat writer.

He is just doing the bidding of his bosses. I'm guessing there will be an editorial questioning the costs involved "considering the financial problems at the university".

Using the above Orlando Sentinel link shows they now project the Zips vs. NC State in Detroit.

There's no way I'll count on anything until the bids become official, but I for one would love to see Chuck "The Chest" play chess against his former program. That certainly would make for a nice story ahead of this potential matchup.

Edited by johnnyzip84

I am surprised we havent seen more invitations announced. For the most part, all of the bowls can pick already.

Yeah I'm not sure why there aren't more leaks. I think most are waiting for official announcements after championship weekend. According to the Bahamas Bowl website, theirs won't be announced until the 6th.

Edited by LZip

Congrats to Terry and the football team...wasn't a pretty season but definitely is progress.

And, not to beat a dead horse, but Scarphoon's henny penny ski-is-falling approach to budgeting leads to these type of observations from Elton ostensibly in an article about sports: "Yet even that is a dubious honor right now as the cash-strapped university will now have to find the funds to get coach Terry Bowden's crew to a December bowl game."

Our new tagline isn't "Ohio's Polytechnic"; it's "The Cash-Strapped University".

• Like 1

Is the Independence Bowl in Shreveport going to fill its normal tie-ins with bowl eligible teams? This is a bowl I would consider. If I was given a choice. It. Is a bowl that has passed the test of time and the Zips already proved they are capable of playing well in Louisiana. Could it do something for recruiting in that part of the country if the program goes down there and wins twice? I'd love to make recruiting strides in LA.