2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

This is just such a stupid question. We will likely at least break even from a bowl appearance. This is just the lame ABJ trying to milk news for drummed up controversy.

I sat across from my brother-in-law, an Akron alum, at Thanksgiving dinner. He was totally oblivious to the whole "budget crisis". He is busy working, raising a son, working out and rooting for the Buckeyes to be aware of anything going on with UA. Makes me wonder how many people (who are not immersed in all things UA like us) pay any attention to this kind of "news".

Can't we just enjoy the beatdown of Can't and the fact we are going to a bowl. The questioning of costs around going to a bowl and now the speculation of how much we are going to lose by going to a bowl is so frickin' typical of the "glass half empty" mentality around Akron. Makes me want to puke.

BE HAPPY FOR GOD SAKES!!!

I'm hoping for a long shot with the Boca Raton Bowl. I live about 20 minutes from there. I'm expecting the Bahamas unfortunately. It's doable as far as transportation. There's a ferry from Fort Lauderdale (about 40 minutes away), but I don't have a passport. What a stupid place for a bowl game!

Thanks for the information, I'm in South Beach for the week. I would guess a $73 ferry to the Bahamas would logistically be doable. Hectic day though. Let's keep hoping for the Boca Raton Bowl.

Edited by Dr Z

Dr. Z

Thanks for the link. It looks like I don't need a passport

I would get the answer to that straight from the State Department on that. I have seen conflicting information re: the Bahamas and passports. This page indicates it is necessary: http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/the-bahamas.html

Also, you must have 2 empty pages and make sure your passport is not expiring within 6 months. I have colleagues who have been denied travel due to that.

• Like 1

ESPN projections

Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Albertsons Stadium, Boise, Idaho

Tuesday, Dec. 22, 3:30 p.m. (ESPN) McMurphy: Akron vs. Boise State
Raycom Media Camellia Bowl Cramton Bowl, Montgomery, Alabama
Saturday, Dec. 19, 5:30 p.m. (ESPN) Schlabach: Akron vs. South Alabama

I dislike these because they are basically true road games. I realize you don't get "home" bowl games in northeast Ohio but it doesn't have to be in the heart of the opponent's fanbase either.

• Like 1

Last time we went to Detroit, Akron sold out its allotment of tickets, and there were 50,000 fans in attendance. You can't beat a 2-hour drive to your bowl game in a climate-controlled facility if you want fans to attend.

But I'd rather the game be in Boca Raton. Think of the recruiting benefits. It's almost the Bahamas, too.

Zach, I've been to Detroit dozens of times in recent years on business, and I've never made it there in 2 hours. Maybe 3 on a really, really good day.

It's officially 190 miles. So, if we go to Detroit, I guess my wife and I are hitching a ride on your Spaceship with YOU !!!!

Edited by skip-zip

I'd prefer going to Florida, but I can't complain to much about Detroit (for obvious reasons, not including destination) compared to somewhere like Boise.

Also, I have no reason to doubt Hilltopper, but if for some reason it happens to be the Bahamas bowl instead, you DO NOT need a passport for boat travel. Just your birth certificate and drivers license. Traveling by air is a different story.

Source: took a cruise to the Bahamas last year without a passport.

Edited by LZip

I hope that it is the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit. I already have plane tickets and hotel to join Zips Mens Basketball in Vegas Dec 21-23. The Quick Lane Bowl is the only option that works well.

Hey LZip, I've also experienced stopping in a Port City for an evening on a Cruise Boat, and only needing a Birth Certificate. But the Birth Certificate was for the purpose of REBOARDING THE BOAT, from what I understand.

So, I'm wondering if it's the nature and length of the stay that is the issue, and not whether it's by air or boat?

Everyone I've talked to says that we definitely need passports if we are going to the Bahamas Bowl.