2015 Bowl Thread

LZIp

Wouldn't this be a great win from a recruiting perspective ? And maybe set up a future home in home series ........

It's not the Bahamas, but anyone think this could

Be more advantageous long term to the program ?? Obviously with a win ......... Just a question

Asked what bowl game he wanted to play in, Grice said, "I ain't going to lie. I would love to go to the Bahamas." source

For those of you considering the trip, here is some info on the Popeyes Bahamas Bowl.

$3800!?!?!?!

Yikes!

Not as good as the Boca Raton destination for me, but I would make St Pete work. If it's the Bahamas bowl, I'll be steaming it from the beach in Miami.

• Like 1

Not as good as the Boca Raton destination for me, but I would make St Pete work. If it's the Bahamas bowl, I'll be steaming it from the beach in Miami.

That sounds like a plan!

Edited by lance99

Somebody brought up the issue of attendance and how that might adversely affect an Akron bowl placement.Any thoughts? Doubt many of us poor folk are going to be able to go to the Bahamas on XMAS Eve. Maybe the best thing that could happen is that Akron gets sent to Detroit. Probably more accessible all around than any of the other possibilities.

I agree, loved how this team stepped up the last few weeks. Not sure I can make it to the Bah. bowl, anywhere else, maybe so....just hope they win it!!

Wouldn't that be what this program needs!? I'm not sure how much it would help us on the recruiting trail...but it's certainly got to be better than no-bowl and under 500. But we can't get ahead of ourselves, a Bowl team is likely going to be the caliber of the teams that beat us this year: the Oklahoma, Pitts or BGs of the world. I wouldn't mind a matchup against an Ohio or CMU like team.

Balsy, think again.

If we go to the Bahamas, we'd play Middle Tennessee (already accepted bid), a 7-5 team who only finished 3rd in their own DIVISION of Conference USA.

They're far, far away from the caliber of the ranked or nearly ranked teams that beat us this year.

By the way, I'm wondering if anyone else is taking notice of the caliber of that Oklahoma team we played in Week #1. They will beat Alabama/Clemson/Big10Champ and win the National Championship if they can play the way they played last night.

Zipgrad01, on 28 Nov 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

http://www.orlandose...-htmlstory.html

They have us in the St Pete bowl against Cincy

Wouldn't this be a great win from a recruiting perspective ? And maybe set up a future home in home series ........

Be more advantageous long term to the program ?? Obviously with a win ......... Just a question

• Like 1

Zipgrad01, on 28 Nov 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

http://www.orlandose...-htmlstory.html

They have us in the St Pete bowl against Cincy

I think so. Middle Tennessee doesn't do anything for people up here. Cincy has steadily gotten better and they are the #2 "program" prestige wise in the state. I think that would be a great game for us because we could make a statement with Ohio folks as well as our recruiting base in Florida.

My guess is that most fans didn't think it would take a decade, but now that it has finally happened again, I would have thought there would be more excitement about it. The response I have witnessed hasn't exactly pegged the euphoria meter.

This drano chugger wants to celebrate.

I don't care who or where and not sure recruits care too much about that, either. I have my preferences that would make it more plausible for me to go, but I can understand why the kids want to go to the Bahamas. Winning the last 4 of the season, even if they were poorer teams is still a major accomplishment as there is so much parity in the MAC. The bowl bid plus the momentum are very appealing to recruits and getting to a bowl was one of the best things we could have done to help recruiting.

• Like 2

Beating Pitt, NC State and Syracuse got some attention.

Beating Can't State to qualify for a low level bowl game doesn't.

I had my house full of family yesterday for a belated Thanksgiving feast. Most of them are Suckeye Honks. They had no idea about Akron's accomplishment. But, I conveniently placed my Charlie Frye Bobble Head and the Sports Page of the Beacon on the coffee table where everyone could see it as they entered :D

2005 was a little different. The bowl bid was accompanied by a conference championship.

Cincinnati matchup might be the best scenario for us. Ohio football fans would at least be watching the game with some interest, and that exposes Akron to potential future players and fans.

• Like 2

I have to mention this....

Could the Front Page (not sports section) story in the Beacon on Saturday have slanted our accomplishment any more negatively??

It said "Zips End 10 Year Drought" with a picture of the Wagon Wheel being carried., If I had been a casual fan who didn't know any better, I'd think it was stating that we ended a 10 year drought over Can't State!!!

Secondly, it talked very early in the article about what we have "working against us" in our quest to get a good bowl bid, such as our 2014 record-low attendance.

Really?? This is how you highlight the accomplishment of your hometown team?

You would have thought that it was written by a bitter Can't State fan.

Balsy, think again.

If we go to the Bahamas, we'd play Middle Tennessee (already accepted bid), a 7-5 team who only finished 3rd in their own DIVISION of Conference USA.

They're far, far away from the caliber of the ranked or nearly ranked teams that beat us this year.

By the way, I'm wondering if anyone else is taking notice of the caliber of that Oklahoma team we played in Week #1. They will beat Alabama/Clemson/Big10Champ and win the National Championship if they can play the way they played last night.

Fair enough. I'm just trying to keep my :gun: Zips fan part in check and not expect too much and just enjoy the fact that we're in a Bowl again :D

The MAC historically does pretty terrible in Post season Bowls...