Stanford

Sad end to what turned out to be a great season. Not many predicted Akron in the College Cup at the start of the year; it's a huge accomplishment. So congrats to all Zips players and coaches!

well said, Mark. Jake was phenomenal in his last game. Senior Sean Sepe came in and played well. Best wishes to the seniors and thank you for all that they have accomplished for the soccer zips. This team was not even in the top 25 after the first week of the season. This team exceeded my expectations. Tremendous improvement during the season. The players and coaches have a tremendous amount to be proud of. Best wishes to Oliver Slawson ....He will be greatly missed. The soccer zips have a bright future with Jared Embick as our coach. Great season, Zips.

• Like 1

I want to puke. I bet the ABJ writes this one up in detail.

http://www.ohio.com/blogs/ua-zips/university-of-akron-zips-blog-1.277207/stanford-ousts-ua-8-7-on-penalty-kicks-in-ncaa-soccer-semifinals-1.647150

Perhaps not as bad as you were thinking it would be, but still written from a negative angle. There was so much positive about this team and season, I wish Marla had taken a different tact. Here is the email I sent her a few minutes ago...

Marla,

Thank you for all of the great articles that you’ve published recently about Zips Mens Soccer; however, I was disappointed to read the way you chose to write today. In Northeast Ohio, we’re so used to losing with the Browns, Indians, etc., it seems that it’s become ingrained to write everything from the negative point of view. I know I may be somewhat jaded because I love Zips Mens Soccer so much, but you could have easily written your article from the positive point of view and been much more effective, in my opinion.

I contend that Zips Mens Soccer is one of a few ‘gems’ we have in NEO, like Mt Union Football and LeBron James. You could have entitled your article something like, "Zips Outstanding Season ends in College Cup Semi-Final PK Shootout 7-8". These Zips were not even ranked in the Top 25 to start the season and rose to be seeded #4 in the NCAA Tournament, after playing a grueling schedule on the road and at home, fearing no one. In last night’s game, they shut down Jordan Morris, a USMNT member, and played through the adversity of having no shots in the first half to giving themselves a number of opportunities in the second. Jake Fenlason made a number of outstanding saves during the run of play and gave his team the opportunity to advance in the round of PKs. What a great performance on which to end his Zips Mens Soccer career. And, so on. Off the field, these Zips received a number of All America Honors, and Tyler Sanda was named the Elite 90 Mens Soccer Award recipient for the highest GPA of all players participating in the College Cup. This team also has 13 team members with GPA’s greater than 3.2 and seven of those above 3.5. I couldn’t be more proud of this team. They and all of us should hold our heads high.

Jared Embick, his staff, and these players deserve all the accolades they’ve received and more. Yes, I’m disappointed in the way it ended because I wanted to celebrate a National Championship with this great group of young men. They may not have the trophy, but they are Champions. I ask in the future that you please re-consider how you look at things, but I also thank you for the coverage.

No one expected Zips Soccer to be close to the college cup this year. Kudos to coach Embick for taking this team that far only in his third year. That will definitely help him recruiting in the near future.

Also, keep in mind that even in Porter days, we didn't win it all in the first appearance at the college cup. You have to crawl before you walk...and coach Embick has this team more than crawling. :bow:

As usual and more than ever, GO ZIPS! :rock:

First of all...I like watching soccer. But 4 hrs of no goals last night was a bit tedious. The one bright spot in the night was the AKRowdies. They were fun to hear, and they kept it up all night. Only Akron was represented in the fan base last night. Thanks AKRowdies for making the trip and representing the Zips!

• Like 1

First of all...I like watching soccer. But 4 hrs of no goals last night was a bit tedious. The one bright spot in the night was the AKRowdies. They were fun to hear, and they kept it up all night. Only Akron was represented in the fan base last night. Thanks AKRowdies for making the trip and representing the Zips!

By the way, I believe I overheard a Sporting Park rep telling one of our Ath Dept administrators he was hoping for us to get through partly due to the way the AKRowdies were representing us. GREAT job!

By the way, I believe I overheard a Sporting Park rep telling one of our Ath Dept administrators he was hoping for us to get through partly due to the way the AKRowdies were representing us. GREAT job!

Great to hear. That being said, it's probably time to simply let the higher ranked team just host the championship game. It's really awful watching a game with so many damn empty seats.

Who was the host university? They did an awful job promoting the event. It seems like past championships had much better local support.

Are you sure? How many have you watched since 2010? Anything in Cary likely gets support due to the number of good soccer schools in the area. But, how was the support in Alabama and Philadelphia? 2011 may have looked decent with Charlotte and UNC in the final given relative proximity.

There was a decent crowd behind the teams (off camera) at Sporting Park, but not nearly as many as I recall at UCSB. I disagree with holding the College Cup at the highest seed as scottditzen suggested. Logistics are too difficult not knowing the top seed until 1 week before. I also liked the feel of the MLS park. I'm happy to see that next season they're finally going to an MLS Stadium with a major hub airport nearby and in a southern climate. Orlando or Miami would be nice choices in the future as would the Stub Hub Center in Carson, CA. Just my opinion.

Major airport access might have an impact on poor attendance at the college soccer finals?

Or, maybe no one wants to watch it?

How many fans did Stanford draw this year? Maybe 1,000/game? The Zips - 2,000/game? How many fans did you expect in Kansas? 30K?

Place both those teams in Kansas, and you draw flies regardless of whether or not Southwest has $199 round trip, non-stop flights.

• Like 3

Or, maybe no one wants to watch it?

How many fans did Stanford draw this year? Maybe 1,000/game? The Zips - 2,000/game? How many fans did you expect in Kansas? 30K?

Place both those teams in Kansas, and you draw flies regardless of whether or not Southwest has $199 round trip, non-stop flights.

Frankly, I expect a very similar scenario in Houston next year. No major soccer programs nearby. And Zip_ME87, I'm glad to hear there was a "decent crowd behind the teams", as on TV it looked like a thou, perhaps even 500 people 'singin in the rain'. smh.

I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate the beauty of soccer that all they're interested in is scoring. Since coming to appreciate soccer, I find all of the times out in football and basketball, and the "and the pitch" in baseball to be extremely boring compared to a well-played soccer match. I guess it was probably less interesting on television. Imagine if you had all the times out you get in a football or basketball game, though. Would be totally unwatchable.

I agree @ZIP that the crowds in Houston are likely to not be much better exactly as you stated --- no major Mens Soccer programs nearby. I'm hopeful more Zips fans would be willing to travel to Houston, though, as the weather should be better. (Although I have been in a December snowfall in Houston once.)

I've come to appreciate soccer solely because of the Zips' program.

I'm on the edge of my seat throughout the entire match precisely because scoring is so difficult. One defensive breakdown and you could be done.

And, when I think about it, a 3-2 soccer match is the same thing as a 21-14 football game, and no one complains about a 21-14 football game.

A 0-0 football game on the other hand... Lol. Yeah, I wish there was more scoring at this year's College Cup.