Enrollment

On 6/25/2024 at 9:57 AM, UA1996MAENG said:

Hypothetically, I would be more interested in pursuing a business degree at UA, for example, if I knew that my 20+ years in international business, marketing and manufacturing  could be applied to reduce the degree requirements.

Fair enough. Sometimes I hyperfocus on the potential negative aspects of something because I can be a bit cynical. Because simple application of a blanket experience is not necessarily a replacement for something else. Take military service, a lot of states are offering accelerated degrees for secondary education giving experience credits for having served in the military; but what classes the replace are completely unrelated to whatever that person did in the military. Just because someone can prep a group of soldiers for a military exercise, does not mean they can easily manage a classroom of 30 middle-schoolers. It's a completely different skillset. States like Florida go ahead and give the waver for both classroom pedagogy and content to get them degrees faster; and they have the highest burnout amongst new teachers.

I'm always hesitant, but I see your point, it seems like if it's used properly it's totally valid.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ZipCat said:

Fair enough. Sometimes I hyperfocus on the potential negative aspects of something because I can be a bit cynical. Because simple application of a blanket experience is not necessarily a replacement for something else. Take military service, a lot of states are offering accelerated degrees for secondary education giving experience credits for having served in the military; but what classes the replace are completely unrelated to whatever that person did in the military. Just because someone can prep a group of soldiers for a military exercise, does not mean they can easily manage a classroom of 30 middle-schoolers. It's a completely different skillset. States like Florida go ahead and give the waver for both classroom pedagogy and content to get them degrees faster; and they have the highest burnout amongst new teachers.

I'm always hesitant, but I see your point, it seems like if it's used properly it's totally valid.

I am curious about the “conversion” of experience to credit too and sometimes a bit cynical as well.  My older son is one year into his U.S. Navy service, and he is looking ahead to see what he could do in college.  He's a submariner and a sonar tech, so I'm not sure how UA or any university offering these credit-for-experience programs can award credit for the training he's had and the experience he will accumulate at sea.  Certainly some majors lend themselves to this better than others. I just hope his plans aren’t to major in dance.  

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
On 7/3/2024 at 8:57 AM, Spin said:

I came across this article which talks about something they talked about a dozen years ago. 

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2024/07/cleveland-state-freezes-42-bachelors-masters-degrees-while-it-retools-eliminates-programs-officials-say.html

cleveland.com is paywalled but here is a link from Signal Cleveland that includes the detailed report from Ernst & Young. 

https://signalcleveland.org/faculty-program-cuts-among-consultants-recommendations-for-cleveland-state-to-combat-financial-woes/

Edited by ZippyRulz
  • Thanks 1