Tailgating 2016

ZippyRulz

21 hours ago, Section210Zip said:

When Info first opened and they patrolled I was just told by the officer. If I can't see it then I don't have to know. So we just bring cozies .

This is not police.  It's State Liquor agents.  Be on the lookout.  I don't want to see people getting cited for having a good time at a Zips sporting event.  The word will get around fast on that, and will be a deterrent to student participation in particular.  

51 minutes ago, K92 said:

20 bucks to park in Lot 9.  Pay at the street.

That tells me tailgaters need to get there early and stake out their territory. Lots of people want to use Lot 9 just to park, because they can't be bothered to walk more than 500 meters in a day or else they might get some "exercise".

13 minutes ago, ZachTheZip said:

That tells me tailgaters need to get there early and stake out their territory. Lots of people want to use Lot 9 just to park, because they can't be bothered to walk more than 500 meters in a day or else they might get some "exercise".

I'll be there at 3 pm. I expect a spot will be available.

Would UA hose their season ticket-holding, Z-Fund donating, Lot 9 paying fans to make a quick couple hundred bucks in GA parking? I can't imagine they would.

30 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I'll be there at 3 pm. I expect a spot will be available.

Would UA hose their season ticket-holding, Z-Fund donating, Lot 9 paying fans to make a quick couple hundred bucks in GA parking? I can't imagine they would.

Gotta pay for the repairs to the endzone hill somehow...

Ok, people.  If there is good weather for the Appalachian State game, I fully expect lot 9 to be completely full, since passes are open to everyone now.

I have a couple of questions/comments about the decision to sell passes at the street. . .

I tried to purchase an additional parking pass when I re-upped my tickets and was unsuccessful.  I tried to make an additional $100 Z-Fund donation and pay another $50 for the pass.  No deal.  The reasoning behind this was a Lot 9 pass comes with Priority Reserved Seats and there are more PRS than Lot 9 parking spots so. . .no can do.

At what point then, was it decided that no type of last-minute PRS buying frenzy was going to take place and that day passes would be sold?  At that point, it would have been nice for the University to announce something on gozips.com or to let one of our moderators here know so that people could make some tailgating plans for the season opener.

Purchasing Lot 9 passes the "old-fashioned way" costs at the minimum $150 for 6 home games.  Of course, 2 of these games are on weeknights which basically kills any type of tailgating for anyone that doesn't want to burn 2 days of vacation.  Buy your passes at the gate for $20 a pop for the 4 tailgate conducive home games and you've got $80 invested.  Sounds like a helluva deal to me.

I am having a hard time making any sense of the parking situation over the last 8 years.  I am glad UA made the decision to get more people into Lot 9 via the day pass, but without any promotion of the decision, it's likely a moot point.  The delusions of $2500 donors coming out of the woodwork to fill up Lot 9 were pipedreams to nth degree.  UA would likely be dollars ahead by now if they had just opened up the Lot for $20 day passes from the get-go and tried to get more people hooked on the experience.  The world will never know.

I am hopeful that people will show up to tailgate for the rest of the season now that it is open.  If the Lot remains at far less than capacity, this experiment may be a one-and-done proposition.  The tailgate on Saturday was one of the best ones we've ever had.  The weather was fantastic and the food and beverages were top notch.  The A.D. and the Interim President came through to talk to the die-hards, which was very nice.  I hope there will be more of us there on the 24th if and when they decide to stroll through.

Go Zips!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, K92 said:

Lot 10ers. . .could you buy a day pass for your lot?

Not sure. I didn't ask anyone. Lot 10 tailgating was a bit better Saturday, mostly because of the basketball team having a huge tent in the middle of the lot. But, there were several others tailgating in the lot. Seemed more than past years. Still not even close to what 9 is, though.

My understanding is that only so many Lot 9 season passes were sold, as to give individual game tailgaters a chance to purchase to improve the atmosphere, since the redemption rate on season ticket holders was so bad in previous years. I was told that Lot 10 was a season only lot with the exception of handicapped spots.

Regardless, good crowd this past Saturday. I hope it continues the rest of the way, especially with the Saturday games! Go Zips!

• 5 weeks later...

The last time I wrote, I came with my son to visit Akron.  Well he's been there for 9 months and I am coming for the game.  I take it the lot at the south end across from  The Score and Lot 9 are the best places to wander around and kill some time with tailgaters?  He will be busy so I wanted to take in some pregame festivities with fans.  Any other areas I should venture through?

10 hours ago, ShockZip said:

The last time I wrote, I came with my son to visit Akron.  Well he's been there for 9 months and I am coming for the game.  I take it the lot at the south end across from  The Score and Lot 9 are the best places to wander around and kill some time with tailgaters?  He will be busy so I wanted to take in some pregame festivities with fans.  Any other areas I should venture through?

I'm more of a pregame restaurant/bar type of guy, but if you wander around the lot under the scoreboard you'll meet a lot of friendly Zips fans (many who post on this board).  Just walk up & introduce yourself.  They'll make you feel right at home.

Zip Fest is outside the stadium to the west (press box side).  It's fun to walk around there.

Also, the team walks from the indoor field house to the stadium before the game.  I've alway's thought I'd want to be there to wish them well, but I've never made it.  I'm not even sure what time the walk is.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Zip Fest is outside the stadium to the west (press box side).  It's fun to walk around there.

Before you mislead anyone, please note that ZipsFest is now inside the Stiles Fieldhouse.  It became an indoor event starting mid-2015 season.  

Which reminds me:  We all got pretty tired of the rain all of last season.  We've gotten our payback with some tremendous weather so far this year.  Could it possibly continue?  It may be a little cooler this Saturday, but it's possible that we might be rain-free again.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit