Game 2—@Wisconsin Badgers

wadszip

Guys, if UA is going to become a winning program, you have to learn how to deal with and handle trolls. Large boards have dozens of new ones every week. 

I find them hilarious. I have never gone to another teams board to troll. 

This guy is bothering you and he's not even a good troll. 

Madison is one of the most liberal cities in the nation. That's some serious troll worthy material right there. 

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

While reading this article, it was ironic that I see this link below to an article about Lee Evans, the former Wisconsin WR who had a 99 yard TD reception against us in 2003, to seal the win and thwart Charlie's amazing comeback effort.  

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/football/badgers-football-lee-evans-resolve-led-to-rewards-including-uw/article_5de5c689-eea7-574f-8b77-a37bf60051e6.html

It's also amusing that the picture they chose was a long TD reception in a win over the Suckeyes :lol:

Edited by skip-zip
edit

17 hours ago, zipsoutsider said:

I love it when people don't understand the freedom of speech. The freedom of speech doesn't mean you can say what you want, where you want, when you want.  And we wonder how we ended up with 8 years of Obama?

I am just sick of fans with the loser mentality. You are the ones who make us comical to other fans.

I find it more comical that they think we have zero chance of beating them. Almost any team can lose to any other team in 1-A football on any given Saturday. I don't think it's too much to ask for that level of basic respect. I don't think anyone here thinks that we will automatically win. To join in their fans in mocking people who think we have a shot, is just embarrassing.

They should be equally embarrassed how one win went to their heads.

Yeah 8 years of Obama has been terrible. Just awful. I know I long for the days of 8 years of Bush. 

And the one win was over a team the Badgers dominated outside of a very small stretch in the third quarter. That final score was nowhere near indicative of how the game played out. Why the hell wouldn't any sane Badgers fan feel confident in a blowout win this week over a team they are better than in just about all phases of the game, based off what they saw last week? 

And the "Bowden 1, Chryst 0" stuff, well, sure. Congrats I guess. Hang your hat on that, even though the level of talent Chyrst now has is far superior to what he had when coaching at Pitt. 

27 minutes ago, Bucky said:

.... the level of talent Chyrst now has is far superior to what he had when coaching at Pitt. 

I have never seen the Badgers QB play, but I know he is better than Voytik. I have never seen a Badgers WR play, but I know they are not as good as Boyd. I'm hoping the game plan is similar. Good luck. 

53 minutes ago, Bucky said:

Yeah 8 years of Obama has been terrible. Just awful. I know I long for the days of 8 years of Bush. 

That's a Boy, Bucky,  Keep that ultra-liberal reputation of Madison Wisconsin alive !! :rolleyes:

I was hoping not to think about that while I enjoy your football atmosphere as a visiting fan, and judge your town/campus without being influenced by your laughable political culture.  Then, you had to bring it, on OUR board.   

I bet you think it's too bad that  you missed the boat to be the recognized as the next Berkeley.   But, Ken+ would surely welcome you with open arms.  :lol:

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

I have never seen the Badgers QB play, but I know he is better than Voytik. I have never seen a Badgers WR play, but I know they are not as good as Boyd. I'm hoping the game plan is similar. Good luck. 

And Connor was probably better than Clement if we're being honest.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

That's a Boy, Bucky,  Keep that ultra-liberal reputation of Madison Wisconsin alive !! :rolleyes:

I was hoping not to think about that while I enjoy your football atmosphere as a visiting fan, and judge your town/campus without being influenced by your laughable political culture.  Then, you had to bring it, on OUR board.   

I bet you think it's too bad that  you missed the boat to be the recognized as the next Berkeley.   But, Ken+ would surely welcome you with open arms.  :lol:

This comment and the other like it earlier are exactly the reason I, and many, have decided to be less active on this forum.  No-one cares about your BS political opinions/ one-liners.  We don't all identify with them, and they don't do anything but divide the forum. Not to mention, it's a little Ironic that Ohio voted for Obama TWICE, and you're going to make fun of Wisconsin for being a bastion of "Liberalism".  Wisconsin passed one of the most anti-work anti-union bills in the entire country, while a similar bill was repealed by THE PEOPLE in the state of Ohio.  Wisconsin isn't any more "ultra-liberal" than Ohio is.  What a joke.  

I came back for a little while and it's the same nonsense on this forum, nothing has changed.

• Like 1

On 9/7/2016 at 9:24 AM, skip-zip said:

I would say the keys to a Zips win are:

1.) Woodson can hit open receivers, if he has time to throw. Last week he had plenty of time in the pocket. With all that time, he didn't need to throw to the TE. The deep ball was open all night.

2.) Our WR's are Big10 caliber. Wolf has good size, speed and hands. Lane will be the best WR in the game, regardless of team. And Natson  more than passed the eyeball test last week...I can't wait for him to catch a quick slant this season. Bowden needs to have that aggressive "Michigan game" mindset and take some chances deep

3.) The OL looked pretty good last week. They need to improve this week. They will. They're all older players who simply haven't played together much to-date. If the OL can hold it's own, I think we win the game. Ball + our WR's wilI put up enough points to beat the Badgers.  

4.) The loss off Coe and Grice was not offset by Boxen and Copeland. Week #1 was a big drop in interior line play from 2015. Jelani Hamilton, who's barely played football the past 2 years, needs to plug the middle like an all star. If the 6' 5", 300 lb Hamilton can remind us of Coe or Grice, then Marcus and Pittman will make Houston's life miserable. If we are as ineffective in the middle as we were last week, it will be a long day against Wisconsin.

5.) Marcus needs to go "Jason Taylor" in the backfield. He needs a career-defining day if we're to have a chance at a win. He can do it.  

6.) O'Leary needs to make his kicks. We can't have missed chip shots and XP's and win this game. Beyond the lost points, the misses absolutely kill the team morale.

7.) We need a #2 linebacker to step up and complement UGIII. Bell was underwhelming last week. Yeah yeah...true soph, in his first start...I know. Bottom line - Bell needs to make an impact this week.

8.) Lastly - Ball needs to be a workhorse. 20+ carries. If he can move the chains on the ground, we eat clock and shorten the game. And, open up Woody/Lane for the deep ball. Ball  hits the hole hard. If the OL can give him some running lanes, and that's a big "if" since they didn't provide much running room vs VMI, we really have a great chance to come out of Camp Randall with a "W."

A lot of things need to go our way to get a win, but we have the horses to do it. Signing washed-up 90's bands to perform on Jackson Field is one way to try and increase InfoCision 2016 attendance. But beating #10 Wisconsin would probably be a little better.

Hope Terry brings back that fire-red hair from our program-defining 21-3 loss to Penn State, and amps it up to 11! 

To those travelling to Madison this weekend - Have a blast. It's a fun town. Get a few beers at student center and check out the girls sunbathing on the docks by the lake!

beer_247815.jpg

• Like 1

Hey Balsy.  I've always liked you, dude.  But I find it amusing that you SAY that you have a disdain for political comments, but then you interject with your own political rant anyway.  

Maybe you should blame BUCKY, who obviously looked way back in this threat to find a negative comment about Obama, and decided to comment on it on a visiting team's chat board.  That's really quite obvious that he went to great lengths to fire up a political dialogue. 

Personally, I find the occasional interjection of political opinion to be FAR FROM the most disappointing things that people write on here that may dissuade people from participating.   

And I was talking about Madison, not about the State of Wisconsin.  Nobody will dispute the longstanding political culture in Madison.  You may not know much about the town.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit

11 minutes ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

Get a few beers at student center and check out the girls sunbathing on the docks by the lake!

Now wait just a minute.  Nobody told me that this is a trip I should have made without my Wife :P

I like your game comments.  I think that's pretty similar right now to how I am feeling about most of those areas.  

51 minutes ago, Balsy said:

This comment and the other like it earlier are exactly the reason I, and many, have decided to be less active on this forum.  No-one cares about your BS political opinions/ one-liners.  We don't all identify with them, and they don't do anything but divide the forum. Not to mention, it's a little Ironic that Ohio voted for Obama TWICE, and you're going to make fun of Wisconsin for being a bastion of "Liberalism".  Wisconsin passed one of the most anti-work anti-union bills in the entire country, while a similar bill was repealed by THE PEOPLE in the state of Ohio.  Wisconsin isn't any more "ultra-liberal" than Ohio is.  What a joke.  

I came back for a little while and it's the same nonsense on this forum, nothing has changed.

Skip does have a point about complaining about political talk and then going on a mini rant, yourself. I personally don't care for the talk either and I sure don't like seeing people leave. There is a simple solution that not enough on here take advantage of: the ignore feature. I'm sure the mods could get you set up.

I agree with the Captain on his post. To me this game boils down to the fact that we are the underdogs and to have a chance against a better team we need pressure from our DT's, time from our O-line and improvement from our LB's. Those things come about and we have a chance to beat Wisky. We are not as talent poor as our uninformed Badger visitors think. Most of them are ignorant as to what we have. If we can play to our potential we have a chance, but we are by no means their equal.

An unfortunate by-product of this forum is that posters can hide behind the impenetrable cover of the internet. They can be immature, personal, ignorant and off-topic. To me that was running rampant on this board 4 years ago and I stop posting. The excitement that I have for this football team and the rise in Zip athletics has brought me back. I've gotten a thicker skin and a better attitude. I encourage others to "keep it classy Akron". I hope Balsy and others keep posting. I enjoy their comments.

1 hour ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

I would say the keys to a Zips win are:

1.) Woodson can hit open receivers, if he has time to throw. Last week he had plenty of time in the pocket. With all that time, he didn't need to throw to the TE. The deep ball was open all night.

2.) Our WR's are Big10 caliber. Wolf has good size, speed and hands. Lane will be the best WR in the game, regardless of team. And Natson  more than passed the eyeball test last week...I can't wait for him to catch a quick slant this season. Bowden needs to have that aggressive "Michigan game" mindset and take some chances deep

3.) The OL looked pretty good last week. They need to improve this week. They will. They're all older players who simply haven't played together much to-date. If the OL can hold it's own, I think we win the game. Ball + our WR's wilI put up enough points to beat the Badgers.  

4.) The loss off Coe and Grice was not offset by Boxen and Copeland. Week #1 was a big drop in interior line play from 2015. Jelani Hamilton, who's barely played football the past 2 years, needs to plug the middle like an all star. If the 6' 5", 300 lb Hamilton can remind us of Coe or Grice, then Marcus and Pittman will make Houston's life miserable. If we are as ineffective in the middle as we were last week, it will be a long day against Wisconsin.

5.) Marcus needs to go "Jason Taylor" in the backfield. He needs a career-defining day if we're to have a chance at a win. He can do it.  

6.) O'Leary needs to make his kicks. We can't have missed chip shots and XP's and win this game. Beyond the lost points, the misses absolutely kill the team morale.

7.) We need a #2 linebacker to step up and complement UGIII. Bell was underwhelming last week. Yeah yeah...true soph, in his first start...I know. Bottom line - Bell needs to make an impact this week.

8.) Lastly - Ball needs to be a workhorse. 20+ carries. If he can move the chains on the ground, we eat clock and shorten the game. And, open up Woody/Lane for the deep ball. Ball  hits the hole hard. If the OL can give him some running lanes, and that's a big "if" since they didn't provide much running room vs VMI, we really have a great chance to come out of Camp Randall with a "W."

A lot of things need to go our way to get a win, but we have the horses to do it. Signing washed-up 90's bands to perform on Jackson Field is one way to try and increase InfoCision 2016 attendance. But beating #10 Wisconsin would probably be a little better.

Hope Terry brings back that fire-red hair from our program-defining 21-3 loss to Penn State, and amps it up to 11! 

To those travelling to Madison this weekend - Have a blast. It's a fun town. Get a few beers at student center and check out the girls sunbathing on the docks by the lake!

beer_247815.jpg

Badger fan here. This write-up is great to look at. I think my response would be that the Badger defense gets consistently underrated. It was the #1 scoring defense in the NATION last year. Granted, we are breaking in a new DC, but most of the starters are back and last week was pretty similar looking to last year. If anything, it looks like the current DC is doing less substituting play-to-play, so hurry up offenses may cause less confusion for personnel patterns. If you're able to score like you describe, then indeed you could win. I think you're underestimating the opponent, however.

Let me just reiterate that we haven't necessarily been playing well in the past, right before we put up some great efforts against top programs. 

We had gotten blown out by UCF and squeeked by James Madison, right before we came within 1 yard of beating Michigan.

We took a thorough butt whoopin at home from Marshall right before we won on the road at Pittsburgh.  

What did these games have in common?  BIG PLAYS.  Justin March's INT return for a TD at Michigan.....Long TD catch and run by D'Orazio's at Michigan.....MTB's long catch and run at Pitt.....Hundley's big runs at Pitt.  

Go back a few years to the run we made at beating Tennessee in Knoxville, which was fueled by the early INT by Commack that was run back for a TD, and Hines long 70 yard TD run.  

Edited by skip-zip
edit
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

Let me just reiterate that we haven't necessarily been playing well in the past, right before we put up some great efforts against top programs. 

We had gotten blown out by UCF and squeeked by James Madison, right before we came within 1 yard of beating Michigan.

We took a thorough butt whoopin at home from Marshall right before we won on the road at Pittsburgh.  

What did these games have in common?  BIG PLAYS.  Justin March's INT return for a TD at Michigan.....Long TD catch and run by D'Orazio's at Michigan.....MTB's long catch and run at Pitt.....Hundley's big runs at Pitt.  

In addition to that, we have never had the players with the skill to consistently make big plays, before. Hundley broke the long run with a just OK line and MTB and D'Orazio made big plays once in a while. Offensively, I have a lot more confidence in our chances of being successful if it comes down to the wire. I am not nearly as hopeful, defensively. Jelani Hamilton can make a big difference here. but is it enough?

2 hours ago, 72 Roo said:

We are not as talent poor as our uninformed Badger visitors think. Most of them are ignorant as to what we have.

You've informed me where you think your talent lies, and I've done my best to alleviate myself of ignorance regarding them.  Problem is, I can't find any objective information that would lead me to believe that it creates any more of a matchup problem than we'd typically face against a lower-echelon Big Ten team (if that).  Lane's measurables make him look like a formidable target at WR, but I can't find any evidence that he did anything of note against anyone with a pulse.  Ditto Ball.  Same goes for Woodson.  His 2015 QB rating is almost identical to our QB last season and half the fans wanted him run out of town.  That said, he seems mediocre in a different way.  He doesn't throw many picks, but his completion percentage is far worse.  That's actually better from my perspective as the Badgers aren't especially adept at interceptions.

Sounds like your OL is better than it has been in a while.  My perspective is, since the Alabama game to start last season I've watched our D (front 7 specifically) confuse and overwhelm OLs from teams with 4 and 5 star recruits, future NFLers, you name it.  We lost one guy from last year's front 7 and it's tbd whether they take a step back, but week one results were very promising, especially factoring in a key injury at ILB.  Playing against an offense that plays at a faster pace isn't something they've seen a ton, but you'd better score on a high percentage of possessions, cause your defense will wear down if they're on the field as much as I expect.

I'm not a fetishist for recruiting rankings, but in aggregate they do generally hold true in terms of evaluating success in college.  Same goes for NFL draft.  80% of NFL players come from the P5 conferences.  In reality, there are three categories of D-1 football.  FCS, G5 and P5.  The latter two just haven't been split apart yet, but I believe it's coming.  Based on recruiting and draft metrics, Bucky plays against a higher level of talent even among Big Ten bottom-feeders.  Current bottom-feeder of note, Purdue (UW has beaten them the past 10 times going back to 2004) has put 17 players in the NFL over the past ten years.  Joke-of-a-conference-member, Rutgers has had 23 players drafted in that time.  These are teams that we routinely embarrass.  Minnesota, who we've beaten for the past 12 years straight has had 10 draft picks in ten years. Akron has had 2 draft picks in that time, and none since 2008.

So when you tell me that we're in trouble because this guy or that had a good game against VMI, or Kent State, or Eastern Michigan, I'm sorry, I just don't find it that persuasive. For every "close call" against a P5 team you can dredge up, I can find a dozen curb-stompings.

But hey, crap happens.  Have fun in Madison and good luck!

24 minutes ago, Los Venerables said:

Bucky plays against a higher level of talent even among Big Ten bottom-feeders.  

I'll stop your long rant on this one.  The MAC has a very long list of wins in recent years against Big 10 teams in early season non-conference games.  And this includes Western Michigan's win over Northwestern which occurred just last weekend.  

In fact, MAC teams have recently scored as many as 4 wins in the a single year vs. the Big 10, and also won 18 games over the Big 10 in a recent 9-year stretch 

Edited by skip-zip
edit

10 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

I'll stop your long rant on this one.  The MAC has a very long list of wins in recent years against Big 10 teams in early season non-conference games.  And this includes Western Michigan's win over Northwestern which occurred just last weekend.  

<checks schedule, doesn't see Western Michigan>

Whew!