Comprehensive New Players Listing - 2017

Dr Z

2 hours ago, K92 said:

Hot off the press. . .

20247924_10210180408130112_1962091092675

The surprises I see on Offense is that Siegman is at Center and I don't see Sands at RB.. On Defense, Hanson is listed as a Defensive Tackle and not a D/E and Davis IS making the switch to D/E. As has been said, this chart will change, but I'm actually not feeling too bad about it as it is upper class dominated and we go two and three deep at most positions.       

Edited by UA1987

It seems like there are some on ZNO that will never be happy.  With anything.  Ever, when it comes to Zips Football.  The Zips could beat Penn State and they'll be on here saying "it shoulda been by 2 more TDs...." unreal.

As for the comments about people on the depth chart:  Isn't this Kato's Redshirt freshman year?  Gee I wonder, if we go look at NFL training camp depth charts if we'll find first round rookies listed dead last on the first Training camp/OTA Depth chart? Cause you know...they have to earn their way up the depth chart. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

But hey...giving the positions on defense cute names like MIKE and SAM and WILL will sure make the defense more formidable.  Right?  And also, which receiver are you?  x, y, z, q, the receiver formally known as Prince?  Gimmicks gimmicks gimmicks....take the attention away from the weakness of this team....

:P

Edited by ZipsVoice
Spelling

1 hour ago, ZipsVoice said:

But hey...giving the positions on defense cute names like MIKE and SAM and WILL will sure make the defense more formidable.  Right?  And also, which receiver are you?  x, y, z, q, the receiver formally known as Prince?  Gimmicks gimmicks gimmicks....take the attention away from the weakness of this team....

:P

Mike (middle), Sam (strong), and Will (weak) have been used to describe the linebackers on a team in a 4-3 defense for as long as I can remember. Same with the different letters for the different backs and receivers.

47 minutes ago, Blue & Gold said:

Is he the one trying to transfer up from a lower division? The late bloomer whose tape looked quite good?

I believe so.  Nick John's was a JUCO transfer, Robbie Kelley transfered from Quincey University.  With a lack of actual reporting from the local news papers, it's easy for us to get lost in the discussions on this forum.  Lots of good info out there, just difficult to recall sometimes haha.

I brought this up mostly because someone mentioned the "highly touted" Kato Nelson as 4th on the list as being a bad thing...considering he's behind two transfer QBs, and our previous starter back from injury, and it's his first real year after red shirting, there's 0% surprise he's last on the depth chart.  Saying its a bad thing, when it's actually a good thing; this team was easily a 7-5 team in the MAC East, if we hadn't suffered injuries, especially at QB.  The coaching staff has made a huge push in the off season to fix that problem, and not just rely on hope that Kato Nelson is decent.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, skip-zip said:

After all of the talk/promise/hope surrounding Kato, I'm disappointed to see him at #4 among QB's.  

Maybe now I understand why we weren't rushing him off of the bench to resurrect our season with about 4 games to play last year.  

Sorry skip, this is just a terrible take.  He's 4th, behind last year's starter, a JUCO transfer, who has experience, albeit limited, and a lower division graduate transfer who has experience, albeit limited.  If anything its a GOOD thing he's 4th on the list.  He's a Redshirt freshman, and it's training camp.  How is it a bad thing that there is legitimate competition for backup QB this year?  How isn't that a good thing?

Edited by Balsy

On 7/24/2017 at 6:56 PM, Zipgrad01 said:

Our "stud" corner transfer is behind a converted safety. 

Although the situation might change, Darian Dailey is probably slated to be the starting Nickel CB at this point.

The Nickel CB position doesn't show on the Base Defense depth chart.

Bryce Jones who is currently an NFL CB for the Houston Texans was the main Nickel CB last year for the Zips.

The different breeds of nickelbacks

Edited by zzx

6 hours ago, Balsy said:

I believe so.  Nick John's was a JUCO transfer, Robbie Kelley transfered from Quincey University.  With a lack of actual reporting from the local news papers, it's easy for us to get lost in the discussions on this forum.  Lots of good info out there, just difficult to recall sometimes haha.

I brought this up mostly because someone mentioned the "highly touted" Kato Nelson as 4th on the list as being a bad thing...considering he's behind two transfer QBs, and our previous starter back from injury, and it's his first real year after red shirting, there's 0% surprise he's last on the depth chart.  Saying its a bad thing, when it's actually a good thing; this team was easily a 7-5 team in the MAC East, if we hadn't suffered injuries, especially at QB.  The coaching staff has made a huge push in the off season to fix that problem, and not just rely on hope that Kato Nelson is decent.

Do you really believe this garbage you spew? If Nelson was a program changer which many were banking on him to be, he wouldnt be stuck behind 3 other guys on the depth chart. Saying this is "a good thing" is so idiotic I can't even put it in to words. 

Its like saying zips basketball recruited lebron james, but he is stuck behind a transfer from Dayton that got moved out of his position and a transfer from Baldwin Wallace. But hey... at least those guys have a little experience and maybe we can "save" lebron for later. 

The best guys play .... period!!

Edited by Zipgrad01
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, Balsy said:

You are what your record says you are. We were a 5-7 team, not a 7-5 team. Injuries are a part of the game and everyone gets hurt by them. Some more than others, but you have to plan accordingly. What killed us wasn't necessarily the fact we had injuries. What killed us was we had absolutely no depth. We were pretty much 1 deep at every position (some we weren't even that). We need to be recruiting more high caliber players if we ever want to progress to being something more than a middle of the road MAC team.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Do you really believe this garbage you spew? If Nelson was a program changer which many were banking on him to be, he wouldnt be stuck behind 3 other guys on the depth chart. Saying this is "a good thing" is so idiotic I can't even put it in to words. 

Its like saying zips basketball recruited lebron james, but he is stuck behind a transfer from Dayton that got moved out of his position and a transfer from Baldwin Wallace. But hey... at least those guys have a little experience and maybe we can "save" lebron for later. 

The best guys play .... period!!

Here he is!  Resident poop thrower!  Who exactly was viewing Nelson as a program changer?  Oh...that's right, people on this forum, Not I.  BUT HE'S A GOD DAMN REDSHIRT FRESHMAN.  I like how there's three people ready to like this post, and completely ignore the fact he's a redshirt freshman.  Good grief this crap gets so old.  I'm not claiming he's going to be good, I'm just saying theres a pretty good damn reason he's 4th, and it's not NECESSARILY because he's terrible.  God, the self-loathing of Zips fans is just unbelievable.  Who wants to become a new fan, if the current fans are like this?  Lord have mercy.

Let me say this again; IT'S TRAINING CAMP!  YES IT'S A GOOD THING HE'S LISTED FOURTH, BECAUSE THE GUY HAS TO EARN IT.  You're acting like this is game 10 of the regular season, get a clue.  That goes for the three of you who liked this garbage of a post.  You don't think a coach would want to give college LeBron a dose of humble pie by STARTING OUT LAST, IN TRAINING CAMP?  Myles Garret started with 3rd string players in rookie mini-camp, should I be concerned?  Good freaking grief.

You guys literally will look for anything to cry about.  Just unbelievable.

Go Zips.

Edited by Balsy

2 minutes ago, Balsy said:

Here he is!  Resident poop thrower!  Who exactly was viewing Nelson as a program changer?  Oh...that's right, people on this forum, Not I.  BUT HE'S A GOD DAMN REDSHIRT FRESHMAN.  I like how there's three people ready to like this post, and completely ignore the fact he's a redshirt freshman.  Good grief this crap gets so old.  I'm not claiming he's going to be good, I'm just saying theres a pretty good damn reason he's 4th, and it's not NECESSARILY because he's terrible.  God, the self-loathing of Zips fans is just unbelievable.  Who wants to become a new fan, if the current fans are like this?  Lord have mercy.

Let me say this again; IT'S TRAINING CAMP!  YES IT'S A GOOD THING HE'S LISTED FOURTH, BECAUSE THE GUY HAS TO EARN IT.  You're acting like this is game 10 of the regular season, get a clue.  That goes for the three of you who liked this garbage of a post.  You don't think a coach would want to give college LeBron a dose of humble pie by STARTING OUT LAST, IN TRAINING CAMP?  Good freaking grief.

You guys literally will look for anything to cry about.  Just unbelievable.

Go Zips.

You are delusional 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

Doesn't matter. If you argue with an idiot then there are 2 idiots arguing. I am done. Have a great day! 

Once upon a time I remember when a certain Redshirt Freshman was third string on the depth chart behind Tra'von Chapman and Kyle Pohl, and ended up being better than both of them combined, oh right...his name was Tommy Woodson.  Thank's for the personal attack though, keeping it classy as always Zipgrad01.

Edited by Balsy