2018 Commit Akron East DT Ramon Fields

46 minutes ago, LZIp said:

Damn that is a big boy. He stuck out on offense when I was watching Floyd's tape. He seems to move fine for a guy his size. Put on some muscle and put him at NT and all you really need him to do is plug up the line and hold his ground.

Do you think he could be our short yardage fullback too?

18 minutes ago, Steve1982 said:

That is a lot of D1 talent the past few years without an enormous amount of success.

They won the city series last year and beat the #1 seed in the playoffs.I wouldn't call them a top program in the state but they are certainly not bad.

27 minutes ago, Steve1982 said:

That is a lot of D1 talent the past few years without an enormous amount of success.

Short Akron East History (pre 2016 season)

Hayes built the program from dirt in 2012, entering after an 0 - 10 season, and inheriting 17 players. I think their success is pretty amazing. 

Because of Ramon's hugeness, he only played one way (offense) last year.  I'm excited UA wants him for DL, as he moves really well for a guy his size.

I'd imagine this year Coach Hayes still only plays him one way - a guy his size isn't going to have the energy to give 100% going both ways - but might move him to DL (his future college position)?

But my preseason prediction of Devanier Floyd for Ohio Mr. Football 2017 was contingent on Ramon playing OL.  If East moves him to DL this year I get a mulligan.

13 minutes ago, kreed5120 said:

This makes me a little more uneasy, but its not like there are a surplus of 400lb players floating around.

That's 100% me talking out of my :moon:  I have ZERO inside information there.  Pure speculation.  But Big Ramon didn't play D-line last year.

4 hours ago, LZIp said:

They won the city series last year and beat the #1 seed in the playoffs.I wouldn't call them a top program in the state but they are certainly not bad.

They lost to freaking New Phila!!! There is zero D-1 talent in Tusc county. You get maybe 1 D-1 player per decade or so. 

3 minutes ago, Zipgrad01 said:

They lost to freaking New Phila!!! There is zero D-1 talent in Tusc county. You get maybe 1 D-1 player per decade or so. 

Doesn't mean anything to me. How many championships has Glenville ever won with all that talent?

1 hour ago, Zipgrad01 said:

A few  years, ago, in PA AAAA football when the runner-up to the state, championship had zero seniors with D1 scholarships.  One kid made a freshman 1-AA team and that was about it.

Edited by zipsoutsider

5 hours ago, Blue & Gold said:

Because of Ramon's hugeness, he only played one way (offense) last year.  I'm excited UA wants him for DL, as he moves really well for a guy his size.

I'd imagine this year Coach Hayes still only plays him one way - a guy his size isn't going to have the energy to give 100% going both ways - but might move him to DL (his future college position)?

But my preseason prediction of Devanier Floyd for Ohio Mr. Football 2017 was contingent on Ramon playing OL.  If East moves him to DL this year I get a mulligan.

So is the limited film of him on defense from his sophomore year or did he get spot duty on the DL last season?

The resurrection of the football program at East has been a great story.  That program was really struggling until Haynes came in.  Due to his hard work, kids started staying at East instead of going elsewhere, started getting decent coaching and the coaching staff started having an impact in the school halls.