Game 8—@Toledo Rockets

Dr Z

18 hours ago, Captain Kangaroo said:

So how do we beat Toledo?

Looks like beautiful weather, so there's no chance we play on a Sunday. Damn.

I can see us holding the Rockets to under 30 points, but how do we score more than 30?

Beating WMU gives us a little swagger and confidence. That will help. But... 

I just don't see us having the offensive fire power to keep up with Toledo, as it seems the only way to beat them is in a shootout.

someone mentioned their back up QB being from Hudson. That's my answer, Woodside being knocked out of the game early. They've got the MACs best QB, WR Corp (even with Thompson out), and a very good RB in Swanson.

At this point in the season, the short week will only affect the coaching staff.  On paper, we don't have a chance.  The ball is not round leading to some strange bounces.  Our only hope seems to be if those bounces come our way.  We have proven to be opportunistic.  Zips 31 / Rockets 27.

I think our defense can keep us competitive, it's our offensive side of the ball that worries me. However, here is how I think we could win:

• The basics - minimize penalties, no more than 1 turn-over, and special teams - do not allow any big returns. The have blocked one more kick than us and also a punt this year. 
  • Field position - we were killed by the poor field position in the 2nd half last week. We need to be able to flip the field, more frequently. 
  • Pressure on the QB - we have not really done a ton of LB blitzes - we might need to do more. We won't shut Woodside down, but we can limit his success. Toledo's rushing offense is ranked #36 in FBS, however, they are not a top 50 red zone offense team. We will also have to stop the run. We proved we can do that against WMU, but the WMU passing threat was not nearly as great. Toledo boasts a 28th ranked passing offense and Woodside is solid. 
  • Secondary - don't give up big plays. I think interceptions will be harder to come by, but we need our secondary to play their best. I think they might be up to the task. We have a slight edge on defensive touchdowns, statistically.
  • Offensively - we need a our WRs to step up their game. We have to move the ball, better and a lot of that. We need to be successful with our run game to help the pass game. I think we can run the ball on them as well as we ran the ball on WMU in the first half. Tommy's passes were a lot better last week, but he did not throw a lot in the second half. we had too many drops. We have to make catches to win games. Coney has proven to be consistent. I am guessing that every D is focusing on Wolfe. We really need Bickley, Chapman, Smith, and Young to step it up. Booker is starting to present some nice opportunities for us. At his size, it would be nice to see him evolve into our 3rd/4th and 1 back like Cody Grice. 
  • Third Downs - we have the edge offensively and they have the edge defensively. On offensive, we are ranked #36 and they are ranked #50, On D they are #26 and we are #34. The match-ups are pretty good.
  • Trickery - I think we can pull off one good trick play to help the cause and keep the defense honest. We have lined Tommy up in the wildcat as a receiver and I cannot recall him dropping a pass - will we see a Morgan to Woodson connection in the red zone this week?

The biggest concern I have with the short week is that last weekend was distracting for them with an emotional win and the crazy weather/reschedule. It sounds like they got home between 10-11:00 PM on Sunday night and had Monday off with voluntary video review on Monday. If we stay focused and disciplined, this is going to be a competitive game, giving us a shot to go 4-0 in the MAC. 

I have heard both Bowden and Woodson talking about the team being hungry after last season. I really hope we se that hunger on Saturday.

Edited by zipsoutsider
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, LZIp said:

I just don't see us having the offensive fire power to keep up with Toledo, as it seems the only way to beat them is in a shootout. They've got the MACs best QB, WR Corp (even with Thompson out), and a very good RB in Swanson.

Iv'e watched enough football in my life to know that no matter how awesome a team's offense looks, there is always a defense to make them look pedestrian. Let's hope that's what happens to Toledo's offense Saturday. No backup, I want to beat Woodside. I want to see him go against our secondary. Talent vs talent. I'm sure the Zips secondary is pumped to face him. 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Dr Z said:

Iv'e watched enough football in my life to know that no matter how awesome a team's offense looks, there is always a defense to make them look pedestrian. Let's hope that's what happens to Toledo's offense Saturday. No backup, I want to beat Woodside. I want to see him go against our secondary. Talent vs talent. I'm sure the Zips secondary is pumped to face him. 

I do not disagree. It's a lot to ask the D to shoulder the load 2 weeks in a row against a WMU and Toledo. I really would love to see the Zips offense have a breakthrough week for both the D and Woody.

Toledo shifts focus to resurgent Akron

"'It’s a hot football team right now that is playing really well,'” Candle said. “'They got a big win [Sunday], probably the biggest win in a conference game in the last two years. It’s a stiff challenge for our football team, and we have to be ready to go. They are playing good team football and they are playing hard, and they are seeing the benefits of that. They are relying on their senior leadership, starting with their quarterback [Thomas Woodson] and doing what their coaches are asking them to do.'”